Delay: Preamp or Effects Loop Effect?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by B Vance, Jun 29, 2006.

1. B Vance

B Vance Member

Do you guys run your delay in your pedal chain or separate through your effects loop?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of both.

2. Kezend

Kezend Member

fx loop for me. advantage: you are delaying your whole signal, not your amplifer amplifying the delayed signal, and i just feel that sounds better. disadvantage.....need more leads? i dont see any others.

3. boog204

boog204 Member

definitely in the loop... using any gain w/ a delay in front will sound like total ass.

4. somedude

somedude Member

Loop.

If you run a channel switching amp the volume of the repeats will jump all over the place as the gain changes.

Plus, I'd rather listen to delayed distortion than distorted delay.

That said, if you're running a somewhat clean single channel amp delay sounds fine out front.

5. seanc

seanc Member

loop here...

i think it sounds a lot nicer and the repeats dont get so loud that it pisses you off. mind you i have a digital in the loop and an analog straight to the amp. sound nice for my tool-esque stuff.

6. Ganderson

Ganderson Member

Loop is ideal if you have one, but if you are running into a very clean amp with your delay at the end of your pedalboard chain it works fine.

7. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

8. B Vance

B Vance Member

I have to agree with all those who have posted so far as well. It's got to be loop for me. Only disadvantage I can think of is that you may have to have longer patch cords and possibly more space on your board (if you have a pedal board). Anyway, I too think that delay is better when run through the loop as opposed to pre.

9. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

What about those of you who use a DL4?

I have always run mine in the effects loop, but recently became aware that (apparently) it is ill-advised for some reason? Anyone have any thoughts?

Brian

10. tikalcity

tikalcity Member

I run my Memory Man straight, but I agree with guys here, FX loop is certainly a "cleaner" solution.

adv.:

- MMan is my only pedal I'd run to FX loop; it's just quicker to do like that...
    - I run MMan in stereo conf. with mixer (or 2nd amp), so there's no need of FX loop;

disadv.:

- MMan has a short delay time - sometimes you end up with a mess, esp. when dist/od is engaged.

If I wouldn't be that lazy ANd got a 2nd volume pedal, I'd run MMan in FX loop together with it. that would sound really better, and give plenty of options for smooth transactions...

11. Oggy

Oggy Member

Who are we kidding Vance? "it's got to be loop for me"? You wouldn't know what to do with delay if you had it in your chain. You with delay...now that just makes me laugh.

12. B Vance

B Vance Member

Touche Oggy.:)

13. theelectic

theelectic Guest

In front. Most of my amps have no loop, and they're all big and clean (like a Twin Reverb) so they don't mangle the delayed signal much anyway.

14. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

The DL4 want a instrument level signal, some effects loops are line level.

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The DD-20 can do line-level! It astounds me how some manufacturers (especially mass-marketers!) make effects like delay without the fairly obvious option of allowing it to run at -10 or +4 dB.

Having said that, I use mine in front. I get all my dirt from pedals, so it's always running into a sparkling clean amp.

16. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

That ended up being the reason I ditched my DL-4 for a DD-20. The DL-4 had some great freaky delays.

17. pala

pala Member

Loop here...

Pala

18. Oggy

Oggy Member

I too ditched the DL-4 in favor of the DD-20, however the reason is that the DL4 was unreliable and broke (the second one i owned that broke). I needed something more reliable. I have discovered that with a clean amp, the DD20 suffers little with being in the chain and not in the loop, and haven't experienced any issues whatsoever. It sure beats running two more 18' cables all the way to my board.

19. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

That's what I am doing. I only use one channel of my amp abut it's reather clean sounding so the repeats are not crazy. Having a smoother sounding analog delay helps too if you have to put the delay in front of the amp. If my amp had an effects loop, I'd be using it.

20. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I always (25 years +) ran delay last into the amp. Only a few weeks ago did I try putting my delays in the loop - and it definitely sounds better! If your amp's loop is crappy, it'll suck tone. My Matchless Clubman's loop is actually killer - no tone loss at all.

Stick it in the loop. You'll get clearer delays & be stoked!