Delay Quest: DM3 not clear enough

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brads, Sep 15, 2008.

1. brads

brads Supporting Member

I know the Chatmods Deeelay and the CC have been discussed alot, but I guess I haven't seen them compared to a Boss DM3.

I'm looking for a slightly clearer analog sound in an "always on" sense. Just to add a bit of depth to the tone. My DM3 seems to clog up the works slightly when I get the mix up enough to hear it over the other instruments (medium to low gain).

Thanks!!

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

well, brads. . . i don't know if this helps or hurts. . .

but an analog delay may not be your thing. . . .

i LOVED my DM3 that my cousin gave me. . .

. . . and then the dd20 totally copied it in a blind test in low and LOUD volumes.

that basically kicked my analog fever ('cept for a DMM, that is. . .but, somehow, i refuse to buy one. . . it too will be copied (damage control???))

anyway. . . .

i love the dd20 because of the TONE control. pick a setting.. . . tape? analog? straight up digital? then tweak it to taste. . . .

the dd7 is very cool, but not as tweakable FOR ME. . . . .

it has been a long road, and nothing has booted it yet. . . . .

yet

so, if you want a 'clearer' delay. .. . MAYBE digital is the road for you . ..

maybe not. it's all about the 'voicing' in the end. . . .

3. erksin

erksin Member

You might want to check into a Skreddy Echo then - it thickens without muddying things up.

I'm currently using an Analogman AR20DL and really love it (easily the best definition and clarity of any AD I've owned), but the Skreddy I compared it to was definitely clearer and had better definition when chording.

Its a different sound than your typical analog delay - the Skreddy cuts bass a little, but sounds sweeter and the decays are more natural sounding. Add a tiny bit of modulation and it sounds friggin' HUGE.

4. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

An old Ibanez Echomachine would be just the ticket for you I think. A very similar sounding second would be the CMAT Deelay and a Analogman modded DD3 would be my third choice, and that gives you three settings of thickness/warmth without getting muddy.

5. brads

brads Supporting Member

That's the one I've been most interested in.

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

The DD-7 really is great for an always on Analog sound. I also love my DMM for this. Analog sound, but clearer than the typical analog delays.

I have owned the Screddy, and I will be honest with you - I think it does muddy things up. It is not anywhere near as clear sounding as the DMM, even when run at 18v. Just my opinion.

7. erksin

erksin Member

Man that is so contrary to my experience with the Skreddy - since it has a bit of a bass cut, it was very clear and articulate in the repeats. When comparing it side by side to other VERY high quality delays like the AR20DL, Blackbox Quicksilver, SIB Echodrive (the blue one), etc - the 3D quality of the repeats is stellar. Must be a rig thing...

8. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Analogman is the one I kept; compared to the AD-9 from Ibanez, and the Boss DM-3, it is much clearer, and has less distortion and white noise. A little less bass on the repeats. The Memory man sounds boxy in comparison. The clips of the MXR just reminded me of what I hate about a low-fi analog. They just sound cheap to me. The amalogman sounds expensive. I never liked digi-log pedals, but I'm sure Skreddy's is good.

9. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

The problem is that between the bass cut and the treble cut the only frequencies left are mids.. and the mids are what get in the way and muddy things up. But its not just the frequencies, its also the fact that the repeats are too "soft" (even on 18v), and I don't think that is what the OP is looking for.

Again, to my ears and on my setup.

I also have an Analogman AR20XL and love it.

10. brads

brads Supporting Member

11. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

You have to check Analogman's site every few days - they come and go. They can't make em fast enought to keep in stock.