Delay: Quicksilver v Replica v TC

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WailingMookie, Jun 29, 2006.

1. WailingMookie

WailingMookie Member

(This is my post from the Toyz forum, sorry for the double post)
    Hey Guys,
    First of all, I'm sorry for ANOTHER thread about delays! Right now, I have a Deluxe Memory Man as my main delay. I'm pleased with it for most applications, but I'm strongly considering replacing it for the following reasons (in order of importance):
    -Takes up too much pedal board real estate
    -Difficult to adjust in real time
    -Sometimes it's too dark to cut through for certain rhythmic delay applications
    -It needs its own separate power supply

I was about to pull the trigger on a Blackbox Quicksilver, but then thought, "Well, I should consider ALL of my options if I'm going to be spending ~$400 on a pedal!" And I remember thinking back to trying out a T-Rex, but thinking "This sounds awsome, but I don't want to spend $400 on a pedal!" But here I am... So the front runners are:
    Blackbox Quicksilver
    -It has modulation and a variable tone control, two delay settings and continuous control via expression pedal. I really like having modulation on my delay and this one is supposed to have a killer mod feature.
    T-Rex Replica
    -supposed to be the best digital pedal around with the highest sample rate. I like that it has tap tempo and the triplet subdivision function, but it has no modulation.
    TC Vintage Delay
    -As far as I can tell, it's the same as the T-Rex

I've tried the Memory Lane and I don't like the sound as much as I like my DMM, and it doesn't really solve the real estate problem. I'm not up for the wait, size, or the $$ involved with the Echoczar.

The QS has continuous tone control vs. the others' tone switch. The others have tap tempo and triplet subdivision, the QS has continous control via a footpedal (which is something extra to lug around). The QS has modulation, the others don't. I'm leaning toward the QS, but I thought I'd ask for advice weighing the pros and cons. I think if the QS had tap tempo AND a dotted 1/8 note option, it'd be no contest, but that's not the reality (unless someone like Cusak could do a mod...). Anyway, your thoughts are VERY much appreciated and I apologize for the long and stream-of-consciousness post!

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've played all three; of the three I vastly prefer the Blackbox. However, I don't own any of them at this point.

3. citiesLA

citiesLA Member

keep in mind the quicksilver has a feedback loop. I don't believe the others do. I have one and that is one of the best parts because you ca put other pedals in the loop. Those pedals only affect the delays, not your main signal. you could, for example, put another delay in the loop to get multi-tap or an octave pedal to get delays that are an octave higher. I love the pedal. :AOK

4. WailingMookie

WailingMookie Member

Thanks for the help guys. A quick bump for maybe a few more responses. Thanks!

5. KaBudokan

KaBudokan Supporting Member

I owned a Quicksilver for a while.

There were things I really loved about the pedal. I thought the modulation was great for the most part. (Sometimes it was hard to dial it in for subtlety - it's VERY powerful.) The repeats sounded organic enough, etc. The tone control worked fairly well. The short/long switch was actually more useful than I thought it would be. I also hooked up an expression pedal, and while the pedal I was using may not have been the best choice (using the expression pedal wasn't like using the knob on the box - there was a delay and switching the speed with the pedal wasn't a smooth process), it was still a cool option.

You could get some really amazing ambient soundscape type stuff from this pedal. It really did sound great for some of that stuff.

The reason I ended up selling the pedal was the noise. I might be a little more sensitive to it than some other people, but the pedal was very noisy at times. Engaging the pedal set off an automatic hiss - sometimes it seemed worse than other times, but it was always there. Also, at any of the longest delay settings, the noise made it unusable for me.

I even sent the pedal back to Lorren, who swapped the chips out, and it seemed better, but in the end, I couldn't see keeping a $400 pedal that made that much noise. (I was running the pedal in front of the amp - no FX loop.)

I know someone else who returned an early QS because it was noisy as well. I also know other people that don't have a problem with it. I'm not sure if there is a variance from pedal to pedal or what. I just felt like for the price of admission it shouldn't have been that noisy.

I loved many of the sounds in it. I currently have a Memory Lane (and an old Ibanez ADL which isn't going anywhere), and I am still trying to figure out if this is the keeper for me or not.

6. Frethog

Frethog Member

I've never had a T-Rex, but I own a Quicksilver. The assortment of tricks you can play with it is explained above, but I like it for it's separate long/short delay settings. The short side is for slapback and the long for everything else.

For all the acrobatics it's capable of, I appreciate it most for it's ability to set and forget. The controls are pretty sensitive, but it's like everything else: the more you use it, the easier it gets.

And I'm not getting any of the noise mentioned above.

7. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Yesterday I tried a few: the Mimic, T-Rex Replica, Quicksilver and the SIB Echodrive.

Of the four I slightly prefered the T-Rex, I didn't like the Mimic but the Quicksilver and Echodrive were almost a toss up with the T-Rex. I liked the tap tempo feature of the T-Rex and it seemed maybe a slight bit clearer. The Quicksilver could run off battery where the others couldn't but it would be a short battery life anyway so it doesn't really matter the T-rex required a wallwart and the Echodrive uses a powercord. The Echodrive was in too large a package for my needs.

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I haven't tried the others but the quicksilver does more of a tape echo emulation, so if you want to recreate a space echo sound at a gig, it's the one to have. If you can have only one delay though, it might not be the one. It all depends on what you're looking for and it's a departure from the Boss/Digitech/etc style pedals. Like others have said, it's excellent for ambient stuff and the loop allows for sound wild sounds. One thing I like to do is put an octave down in front & octave up in the loop and dial it in for a pseudo pitch shifter.

FWIW, mine isn't all that noisy. It's actually pretty good on battery life too.

9. JamesO

JamesO Member

When you say you like the Quicksilver for the separate long/short settings, does that mean you can use two seperate delay settings at the same time, as if you had two pedals in parallel?

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

not much talk on here about the TC eh?...well, I really liked the T-rex out of those, I just found it to sound really warm, and the "brown" button was kinda' cool, but, I ended up going with the ML non-the less, it just worked for me, and Im on the list for an Eczar...I tried all of the delays youve got on your list and like I said I Went with the ML, second would have to be the T-rex...might still get it for my "2nd" board...(Im a delay/OD/fuzz fan)

11. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Nah, there's a short/long footswitch.

12. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

Slightly OT, but where are you finding a QS? I thought they were unavailable while the maker was out on the road.

13. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

The one I played yesterday was at True Tone Music in Santa Monica CA.