Delay recommendation for Super Reverb? Just sold my Nova...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SouthernShred, Jan 3, 2008.

1. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

I didn't really care for how my Nova sounded with a dirt pedal in front of it (OCD, TS, etc) going into the front of my 66 Super Reverb. I've been eying the Maxon AD999 and a few others, but I don't have a lot of shops around here that have anything beyond a DD-3 (which I have) to try out. The DD-3 is cool with everything at 12 o'clock, but I don't like how "sharp" it sounds to my ears.

Any suggestions for a delay that sounds great going in front of a BF Super Reverb with a dirt pedal in front of it?

Shannon

2. gregory49

gregory49 Member

You, My Friend would Love the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay.. I have a 1970 Super Reverb that sounds awesome with it and the Reverb around 3.5.

Take Care.

3. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

CMATmods Deeelay $135 NEW on eBay. Got one today and love it. Not quite as dark as my AD-900 but would use the Deeelay if the AD-900 disappeared.

I'm a simple person so I couldn't figure out how to make that Nova thing work. Went back to analog and one button and couldn't be happier. Deeelay now for ambiance and AD-900 for longer lead delay.

4. SouthernShred

I've been eying the DBD and Deeelay as well as the GoudieFX Delay too...

5. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

+1 on the Deeelay! I have one in my rig and love it! It works well with my vintage Fender amps! They have a very warm and natural sound and Chad is a great guy to work with!

6. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I would vote you look for a used AD900. I had the Deep Blue also and it is nice, but for the cash I much prefer the AD900. If you really want the warmth of analog, you should just go analog. The DBD is the closest I've heard, but I would still take my AD999 over it also. You can grab a used AD999 really reasonably used in the emporium. With my '66 Super, I prefer the warmth of the Maxons over the Mad Professor.
    The one thing I did like about the MP is that it can be clearer and stronger in the repeats like a digital delay, but the trade off was that it wasn't as natural and analog as a real analog for me.

7. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Thundertweak Delay. Sounds awesome with all kinds of dirt in front of my Sewell Texaverb (Vibroverb inspired).

Ask Brad at Tone Factor when he's getting more in. The best analog-ish delay I've tried and an amazing deal.

8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I would say check out the Thundertweak as well.

9. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

On the cheap, try the Carl Martin Red Repeater. I have one and use it with my Super Reverb with great sucsess. The only thing I have been finding with any delay, it they do not sound good on switching amps that have distortion. The distortion in front of the delay sounds fine, but the delay into a distortion channel sounds like ass.

The Red Repeater is like $90 and sounds great.

10. Don L

Don L Member

Analogman and AD900

11. SouthernShred

thanks for all the suggestions. I guess that only thing to do now is to order a few of them and shoot it out :D

12. rossowj

rossowj Member

can you get the hi-cut mod of the dd-3 to get rid of that sharpness?

13. nsriley

nsriley Member

I vote for the MP DBD.......with dirt before, after....or from the amp.....it works wonders and sounds excellent imho. :)

14. SouthernShred

I know how you vote :rotflmao

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Totally agree...I would say the DBD is the best on-input-with-dirt-into-it delay I have tried. I haven't even tried mine in an effects loop yet, as I like it so much on input so far and I usually do use delay in loops when using an amp that has one.