Delay recommendation

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Biaxident82, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Biaxident82

Biaxident82 Member

Hey all,

I have been searching around without much luck for another delay unit for my board so I thought I'd see what recommendations you guys might have.

I am looking for a true bypass analog delay that will get me close to that "Where the Streets Have no Name" short delay sound. I have a modded Boss DD-6 for longer solo delay sounds so I'm covered there.

One unit I was looking at was the EH Deluxe Memory Man but I'm not sure if it covers this type of delay.

What would you all recommend.

On a side note, I had a Yamaha UD Stomp a few years back and it had this sound pretty much nailed as a preset and I'm kicking myself now for selling. Oh well.:jo

Please let me know what you all would recommend.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I love my Rocktron Short Timer. I've used it for Edge sounds. Not true bypass and not analog, but sounds very much like a good tape echo. Weird. Guitar Player recently reviewed it and gave it an editor's pick for all of the above. Very inexpensive and I much prefer it to my DD3.

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

em-5 for short-slapback But the edge uses several delays at once doesnt he? (at least 2)

4. Madsman

Madsman Member

The DMM will get that sound.

I prefer the AD9 (300ms) if you don't need modulation (but you probably want it, for that sound) and the Memory Lane is my new favorite, though it's way more powerful... it's a little harder to dial in because it does a lot more. A lot of cash, though. DonneR should have the new Jacques Prisoner, which is an analog delay with modulation for around $200. Maybe he'll chime in and mention what he thinks of it.

5. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

How about the Fulltone Tube Echo?..I hear they are great!!

6. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

In all seriousness, you may want to the check out The Prisoner Delay form jacques. I was pleasantly surprised how well the delay functioned. Go to www.ts808.com, you can get it for 200 at pedal geek. Its all analog, and has a really nice tone enhancing buffer.

This one is staying!

7. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Of course you'll hear Diamond memory Lane... but I like the Quicksilver by Black Box by far.
    GG

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I am no expert on delay, but can certainly recommend the Maxon AD-999. This is my first delay, have used it maybe two hours, already it's indispensable. Just perfect. I'm not doing anything extreme, short to medium delay, not much repeat. It sounds wonderful. Very solid construction, a professional bit of gear.

9. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

Yeah, I'll recommend the Memory Lane :AOK
    It retired most of my analog delay pedals

10. eric-d

eric-d Member

It's not TB, but the Maxon AD-80 is a great delay.... Analogman can TB it too.... :)

11. Humbucker

Humbucker Member

IMHO, if you're going to do the U2 rhythmic delay thing you need a delay that either has tap tempo or a millisecond readout.

12. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

+1 on the Diamond Memory Lane!

Just an all around excellent pedal. Extremely well made. I would describe the sound as being very lush and full. You can definitely cop U2 with it, but just keep in mind it is analog and will not sound as "sharp and clean" as a ddl.

13. Ken

Ken Member

Maybe I'm wrong but isn't the Edge's(U2) Delay A Digital Rack Delay?

14. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

Yes, Ken, you are keerect - TC Electronics 2290 :)

15. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

It is, but back in the day, he was using two Memory Mans.

16. eknapier

eknapier Member

can anyone who has played the prisoner compare it to the memory man? I'm seriously thinking of getting one to replace my memory man on my main board.

I'm wondering specifically if it has more headroom than the memory man, or if the low headroom is an issue for all analog delays.

Anyone?