Delay Search

Nystuss

I've recently found myself wanting for far more delay sounds than I can get from my (surprisingly good-sounding) Modtone Mini Delay. It does some great low-repeat, high-mix type delays (think Gilmour's Time solo), but I'm looking for something more. I've done some thinking, and I think I know what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to find anything in my budget.

Basically, I'm looking for something within these parameters:

-Tap Tempo (external jack for it works too)
-Subdivisions (Dotted 1/8th is vital. Duh)
-Tape Emulation
-Pure digital delay (or something close, like new tape)
-At least 3 presets (Lo-fi single repeat wash, tape dotted 1/8th, digital dotted 1/8th)
-$300 budget

So far, the best two options are the Empress Tape Delay and the TC Flashback x4s, but each have their issues. The Empress can only do presets or tap, not both. The TCs don't have global tap, they're huge, and I've heard they're unreliable. I've tried both, and I love the sounds from both. If the Empress had an external tap jack so I could do tap and presets simultaneously, it would be exactly what I'm looking for, but it doesn't.

So, are there any other options that I haven't thought of that would fit the bill?

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
I have Empress Tape and love. I usually keep in preset mode because with the flexibility, I can cover bases without the need for exact tap precision.

Turi

Yeah, you're missing like, the main guy..

The BOSS DD-20.

Fits the bill.
Actually it more than fits the bill.
Some might say it eats the bill for breakfast, and ***** it back out.
Then it scoops up that ****, and chucks it in the bin, where it goes off to the dump.

It totally destroys the bill. Annihilates it, even.

It's got both on-board tap tempo AND an external tap tempo input.
It's got your subdivisions covered (can't you just tap in the right divisions yourself though, anyway?)
It's got a tape mode. You can even pick one or two heads.
Definitely has pure digital delays..
It's got four presets, though if you count manual mode - five.
Less than $300 NEW.

Nails everything you want, and offers you a dickload more than you need too.

The Digitech Timebender will also fit the bill, and you can basically make your own subdivisions with that one.. very cool.

Stratburst70

Yet another vote for the DD20. It has everything you're looking for, and then some. Plus, Boss pedals are damn near bulletproof, and you can find them used for $150.

I'm contemplating putting together a small pedalboard featuring two DD20's, mainly because I like layering delays.

Jonny G

I think a used Eventide Timefactor would be perfect! I regularly see them for $250 now.
+1 Really nice sound quality and tweakability (if you want it) I also have a TC flashback (x1) and have to say the sounds are surprisingy good for the price so would think the x4 is up to the job (and note I have never had quality problems with TC, though it seems to be a pet hate of TPG)
Can't comment on the Boss - i generally don't like their sounds but its all personal so a lot of guys on this thread seem happy.

Satan666

Yeah, you're missing like, the main guy..

The BOSS DD-20.

Fits the bill.
Actually it more than fits the bill.
Some might say it eats the bill for breakfast, and ***** it back out.
Then it scoops up that ****, and chucks it in the bin, where it goes off to the dump.

It totally destroys the bill. Annihilates it, even.

It's got both on-board tap tempo AND an external tap tempo input.
It's got your subdivisions covered (can't you just tap in the right divisions yourself though, anyway?)
It's got a tape mode. You can even pick one or two heads.
Definitely has pure digital delays..
It's got four presets, though if you count manual mode - five.
Less than $300 NEW.

Nails everything you want, and offers you a dickload more than you need too.

The Digitech Timebender will also fit the bill, and you can basically make your own subdivisions with that one.. very cool.
All good points. But it has 'Boss' written on it and is therefore generic rubbish. I only purchase obscure boutique pedals because they are unique to my sound...and because everyone else has the same pedals as I do they must be the best right?

So would say the boutique-only snob crowd. I've had people ask me why I don't replace some of the Boss gear I use with boutique pedals and I always reply that I don't friggin have too! It does exactly what I want and does it better than pedals twice the price and with half the functionlaity. Thats obviously not true in every case but as far as the mighty Boss DD20 goes, your search starts and ends right there.

chrisjnyc

There are only a few delays with all those features:

Eventide Timefactor
Strymon Timeline (more $$$)
Empress Superdelay
TC Nova
TC Flashback X 4
Boss DD20
Zoom G3\G5
Line 6 M9\M13

jb4674

You can find a used one in the $200 range and it'll do everything you want it to do and then some:

Nystuss

Well, it looks like the shootout is expanded to 4. Empress, TC, Used Eventide, DD-20. Looks like I'm going to have some digging to do. Thanks guys, this has been very helpful.

+1 for TC Nova. I am trying like crazy to live my timeline but I find myself often going back to the nova for pure simplicity. Has analog/digital know to mix your ideal sound as well as modulation and several subdivision settings. Tap tempo? No problem. Mash the tap tempo and play muted quarter notes on the guitar. Tempo is set! Awesome feature! Takes 9 presets.

Now......back to my strymon manual.

cygnusx1

Empress vintage modified will do it all plus it has a looper as well with the ability for 8 presets

ufo~

Well, it looks like the shootout is expanded to 4. Empress, TC, Used Eventide, DD-20. Looks like I'm going to have some digging to do. Thanks guys, this has been very helpful.
All excellent choices. I'll throw in a vote for the TimeFactor because I have experience with that. The possibilities are literally endless. More delays than you'll know what to do with.

Dr Slapstick

As someone who's used the TC Nova delay for several years, it's an awesome pedal, and there are mods for external preset switching and tap, etc. if you want to get crazy...

I'm also buying a timeline, but I'll probably keep the Nova for digital delay sounds regardless. It's a really solid pedal.

Trending Topics