Delay similar to Echo Park

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Al Pastorius, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Al Pastorius

Al Pastorius Member

Hey guys, does anyone know of a delay that's similar to the Echo Park but doesn't have the shortcomings? Many users reported problems with hiss (possibly powering the units, possibly not) and tone suck, and it seems pretty dependent on getting a "good" pedal, which is a total gamble now that they're discontinued. Also, I'd prefer something that isn't so heavy. Apparently the most recent version was significantly lighter, but again, kind of a crapshoot since I have to order online and I won't know which model I'm getting. Here are the things I like about the EP:

-Ability to go 100% wet
    -Very short delay time in the slapback setting (will occasionally use this as a "doubler" in a W/D rig)
    -Ducking setting (a ducking tape delay is super cool to me)
    -Ability to control modulation
    -Tap tempo
    -Good tape sound
    -Cheap!

I'm willing to sacrifice on some of these, but I'd like to see how close I can get. Honestly, I might just gamble and get one since I haven't managed to find any pedal that comes close and isn't north of $250. But, I figured I would ask because there are thousands of pedals that I don't know about. I want a tape or analog sound. Any suggestions?

2. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

Have not managed to find anything like it.
    The way the knobs are laid out is just perfect, being able to assign delay TYPE, with its appropriate MOD, to any of the timings/modes.

Just a stunning pedal

PS. I had an older 'heavier' one that I gave to a friend when i got a new version, liked them both equally, no issues with either

LordByron and NHBluesMan like this.
  3. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

The echo park is truly a unique animal, and honestly I think it's worth the risk of checking out

That being said, the Nemesis will cover everything on the list besides ducking delay (also depending on your definition of cheap, it can be had new from Prymaxe for $240 with a coupon). One of the biggest reasons I got the Nemesis was because it reminded me a lot of the Echo Park with some of its options, and there are actually a few users who have created and shared presets based on EP sounds.

Happy hunting!

dickjonesify, LordByron and gibs5000 like this.
  4. Boba7

Boba7 Member

My advice would be to look for a v2. You can check with the seller if its not too heavy, and also, if they're willing to remove the backplate (takes 2minutes), check if there are 2 little dip switches on the board.
    I love my Echo Park. I dont have a Nemesis but would agree it is the closest you could get.

NHBluesMan and LordByron like this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

There is the Behringer Echo Machine that's a pretty close copy of the Echo Park. It's about $50.

If you just want an analog/tape sound there are plenty of ways to go there.

olejason and LordByron like this.
  6. stilwel

stilwel Member

Yep Behringer copied it pretty well.

Also take a look at the Zoom MS-70CDR. It can do all of those things you requested.

Nemesis is a great option if you're willing to spend a bit more.

LordByron likes this.
  7. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Behringer seems to be a good option, however it sounds like it suffers from the same shortcomings as the EP (noisy, may brick on you, etc). I still have mine as well as a nemesis (I'm the guy whose posted a couple presets based on the tape mode of the EP, you'll have to wait for the next neuro update which doesn't sound too far off, but my latest preset sounds almost identical to the tape mode of the EP, just doesn't quite get that unique glitchy modulation of the EP). The EP is basically a backup to the nemesis, only getting used for layered delay sounds or when my Nemesis is in hold mode, so I have a little ambience on the dry tone still. Prefer the nemesis analog and digital engines over the EP, the multiple different tape modes are neck and neck with the EP, but overall I stick with the nemesis on the tape mode.

8. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I have had an echo park for quite a long time. It's a great delay, and I've owned all the usual suspects. The only time I've run into hiss issues is if I try and daisy chain it with other pedals. If it has its own power, than I haven't had any problems.

I think the Nemesis is a good comparison. I own both and enjoy both for different reasons. Can't go wrong with either. They are an especially good combo together.

NHBluesMan and gibs5000 like this.
  9. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    I've got both the Nemesis and the EP (and the Behringer clone as well). The Nemesis has taken over my primary board because (a) it sounds great, (b) it is midi controllable, and (c) it can just do so darn much. The EP is so special, however, that I will not get rid of it. It now lives (happily) on my PT Nano+ grab-and-go board. It is a fantastic delay and is well worth taking a flier on. I do not have any problems with hiss or tone suck. Maybe I'm lucky. In any event, the EP is not going anywhere (at least without me!) any time soon.

And on the Behringer, it pretty much nails the EP sound BUT, it is an all plastic housing. I just did not like the flex to it when stomping on it. It is sturdy enough that I was not really worried about breaking it, I just did not like the tactile feedback. Given that I paid about $25 for it, I don't mine relegating it to emergency back-up or occasional-loaner-to-friends status. :)

NHBluesMan likes this.
  10. theroan

theroan Member

I feel like MLjr has some similar sounds.

11. jordane93

jordane93 Member

IIRC, the M5 has the same delay algorithms as an Echo Park.

12. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

i don't think it does. The M-series has the same delay algorithms as the DL4, but those are completely different from the Echo Park. My M9 sounded nothing like my Echo Park when i had them both

LordByron, gibs5000 and dickjonesify like this.
  13. theroan

theroan Member

The M series has NO tonecore algos in them.

LordByron likes this.
  14. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

I came from an Echo Park. Lovey pedal, I just needed more.

I can get very close by tweaking the Nemesis tape engines.

LordByron likes this.
  15. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    Nope. Different underlying algorithms in the M series.

16. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

i thought it did have the Verbzilla though? Since there wasn't any reverb in the DL/MM/DM/FM series.

theroan likes this.
  17. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

aaaand how do you get a coupon? :love:

dickjonesify likes this.
  18. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

watch Prymaxe.com for sales (they have a 20% off sale right now). I got my Nemesis for $240 from them.

dickjonesify likes this.
  19. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

ah bummer, it seems Source Audio is excluded(alongside almost every other brand there).

20. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

Use their online chat... wink wink*

gibs5000, NHBluesMan and hendrik7 like this.