Delay Times

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by toast487, Feb 3, 2012.

1. toast487

toast487 Member

So I have an AquaPuss which has a delay time of 300ms, which is half of what I usually see on analog delays. Does having that extra 300ms matter? I mean it's only 300ms. I'm talking about usage just for creating some ambiance reminiscent of some of the more successful brit rockers of today.

2. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

it's get more important if you're trying to do more rhythmic delay effects, but it's just a feature, and like anything else is more important to some people, and less important to others

3. amphead777

amphead777 Member

A Carbon Copy has up to 600ms. Check it out.

4. jkokura

jkokura Member

think of it this way - a 300ms delay can give you delay times up to .3 seconds, and a 600ms delay can give you .6 seconds of delay time. Obviously, if you need longer times you should get a longer delay. The Aqua Puss is a relative of the Boss DM-2, also a 300ms delay, and it has generally found use a short delay time slap back echo sort of delay.

Yes the Carbon Copy has a longer delay time, as do many other delays.

Jacob

5. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

300ms is all the delay time I need, and I think 300ms delays often can do better slapback than delays with longer delay time capabilities. Of course, delays with short delay times can only excel at short delays. Am I repeating myself?

Some players like long delays better. If a player likes delays to be 300ms long, getting a delay with more time than that would make sense, because many analog delays start to distort with the delay time maxxed out. Some people love the Aqua Puss for short delays, but hate it for long delays. At the longest delay settings, it might lose some headroom or clarity, for example.

6. in_sherman

in_sherman Member

i think i'll usually either set mine at 300-450ms for ambiance, and sometimes really short for slapback stuff. super long delay times just don't seem to be very useful to me.

7. Madsen

Madsen Member

:agree
    I use a BBE 2 Timer & a Malekko 300D to do this, any longer than that & i'm looking for tap tempo to keep things in sync with the bpm's of the song & therefore digital.

8. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

I feel that 300ms is kind of limiting and a tad short, as many classic tones are around 350-400ms. The 600ms of the Carbon Copy are perfect for me cause it covers a lot of grounds.

9. piloto117

piloto117 Member

Yes, there is a huge difference between 300ms and 600ms. Those extra 300ms will get you closer to Gilmour/Edge/Summers repeats, rather than sticking with the 300ms. I don't know what you mean by modern brit rockers, but IMHO an300ms analog delay will limit you only to slapback/echo tones. If you want to stick with analog but with a higher range, I also bid on the MXR CC; excellent pedal!

10. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

300ms is not enough for me. I run a 500ms delay most of the time with one repeat & then I'll kick in another longer delay when I need more.
    I use (and highly recommend) the MXR CC. For longer stuff, I have a VOX Time Machine that I'm still getting used to. We'll see about it.