Delay to thicken it up a bit....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dr. Jimmy, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Looking to add a delay to my gain channel to make it a bit more meaty. Not looking for anything expensive and have it narrowed down to a Memory Toy or Carbon Copy (both are the perfect size for the spot on my board). Any suggestions/recommendations/ideas? Suggested settings etc... also welcome!

Thanks.

2. toast487

toast487 Member

This will be bigger than your footprint but the AquaPuss is great for this application.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Carbon Copy. Totally great pedal.

4. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

CC, thinking about adding one for the same application..

5. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

6. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Use the Boss DD-3 and set it to the 50ms setting. I couldnt live without mine and its in all the time.

7. mjtripper

mjtripper Supporting Member

The carbon copy is a great pedal. That being said I just swapped mine out for a wampler faux analog echo and ended up liking it a lot better. The repeats don't seem as dirty to me if that makes sense and I have the tone rolled almost all the way down to get a similar feel.

8. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Interesting. I have an old DD-2 kicking around, care to elaborate on the settings?

9. meterman

meterman Member

that should work fine, the main thing is that for just a thickening effect you want to use short delay times, like the 50ms suggested or even shorter, minimal feedback and higher mix level. I forget how many milliseconds it is before you start to hear the separate repeat but it's something like 76ms, up until that point it's more of a doubling efffect

10. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I use a Montevillian Echo to do this. Thickens and warms my tone. It actually colors my tone a skooch.

In fact, I used it with a battery (meaning no power supply) for a couple of weeks when I was revamping my pedalboard, and if I let the battery run down I would stop hearing repeats but it would still color my tone. It essentially became a preamp. Sonded awesome too! Catalinbread needs to put just the op-amps and stuff in a box and leave the delay out, LOL!

11. zosozep7

Exactly what meterman said! Even better that you have the dd2! I own 3 of them. They are warmer then the newer ones. When i get home ill look at my settings. David Gilmour uses one for the exact same purpose i believe. I always say this but here goes again. Think of Don Felders solo in Already Gone.

12. zosozep7

Dr. jimmy. Dont get rid of that dd2! Theyre becoming quite valuable.

13. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

No problem, using it as a door stop now.

I keed, I keed!!!! Looking forward to trying it out in this manner, I've used it before for much longer delays....

14. ibegofyou

ibegofyou Member

I gotta say, my Aqua Puss doesn't like gain very much. This is fine for me because I'm an almost exclusively clean player. But thought I should throw that out there.

15. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

I absolutly second the C'bread Monty for this exact purpose. A seriously underated pedal.

16. meterman

meterman Member

that does look nice! Not toooo expensive either. I've heard great things about Catalinbread but never tried one, that is tempting. I find I rarely if ever want/need more than 600ms for my applications. I do have some sweet delays already (AD900, El Cap, DD20) but that is tempting b/c it looks like something different...

17. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

:agree

18. mc2

mc2 Member

I saw a used dd7 for just around 100 in the emporium. It has analog, digital, modulation and tap tempo. Pretty packed with features and sounds pretty good. If you're using grit and drive it's nice. I think the CC is quieter and blends a bit better, but I only seem to notice that with clean tones.

19. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Good suggestions gang, thanks!

Now for my next question: Here is the setup for my gain sound: Super Chili Picoso > Dirty Little Secret > MXR 6 band EQ > amp. Where is the best place to put the delay? Remember, I'm just using it to thicken up the gain tone.

Thanks.

20. meterman

meterman Member

I'd still put it at the end, unless you add a reverb pedal.