DELAY vs. ECHO

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blood5150, Mar 14, 2008.

1. blood5150

blood5150 Member

OK... so Ive been playing guitar for about 17 years now and have been on the quest for that ULTIMATE delay sound.... I have a DD-3, Ibanez DL-10, Maxon AD-999, Eventide Timefactor and an old Stage EC-100 tape echo....

Ive finally realised that what I am really looking for are ECHOES not REPEATS....

So on that note...I feel that I have 3 options at this point...

Fulltone TTE (the best, expensive)

Used Roland Space Echo (cheaper, but may need parts down the road, etc...)

Boss RE-20 Space Echo Pedal (cheapest, tap tempo, digital, maybe not warm sounding)

Obviously it would take me a while to save up for the TTE, but its the best right?

I like the idea of tap tempo on the RE-20 though...

Anyone have any feedback (no pun intended) for me on my delay-echo questions??????

2. mesfigas

mesfigas Member

3. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

TTE and an old Roland Echo is a lot more to carry if that matters? It sounds like you are looking for repeats that fade slowly, rather than digital crisp exact repeats - something misty and analog, right?

On www.thesegoto11.se (scroll down a bit) there is a demonstration of the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay. For reference they also demonstrate the T-Rex Replica. Check it out! (Neither is analog, but sounds pretty much as if they were).

The TTE is (at least approximately?) a remake of a tube Echoplex, right? That not saying an Echoplex would be any cheaper. My old ROland RE-501 sounds great, especially in stereo. I also roll off treble on the repeats for more mist.

Don't know if this helps, at least it bumps your question back up/C

4. in a little row

in a little row Member

Consider Akai Headrush...very good tape echo sim with many output options, tap tempo, has a digital mode as well, and 23 sec looper mode...sounds great, built like a tank, and reasonably priced
    j

5. mrt

mrt Member

I had the DLS, it sucked the tone right out of my amps(in the loop)

Now I just use the TTE. :AOK

6. blood5150

blood5150 Member

7. blood5150

blood5150 Member

8. sega

sega Member

Hi,

I agree with you, tape echo sounds much better than any pedal on the market.

Got to hear a tape live, not on youtube or other compressed demo.
    And by the way, my friend just got back his Roland Space Echo 501 cleaned by a technician and the sound is amazing.Really it's worth it to buy a old one from ebay.

Get it fix, change the tape, clean the rubber stains and VOILA!
    You will get at leat 2 times the quality from a pedal.

I wonder why they don't make it anymore, then again they look a every electronic amps, and pedals, they sell, and people likes em.

So I guess it's personal, but if you want the best get a tape, just like in the old days...

9. Slideman

Slideman Member

The Boss RE-20 is very warm, not digital sounding, especially the decay. I've bonded with this echo/delay more than any other and it hasn't left my board in a year. The tap temp function is very useful, as is the oscillation feature. However, I still keep a DD-2 on board as well for versatility for a crisper sound, and since the RE-20 doesn't have presets.

10. mesfigas

mesfigas Member

You had the echotap at the loop and sucked your tone !

i have the pedal at the loop of the VHT and no problem.

The TTE is very expensive.

11. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

you should try an sib echodrive. I have an original blue analog version and it's my main pedal board delay (along w/ a Keeley modded AD-9), and one of my 2 favorites out there. :AOK I own (too?) many - analog, tape & digital, and my other fave is an echoplex ep-3 (now for the studio only, cause it's a pain to travel w/ and maintain!).
    their are 2 of the newer SIB (2 different models) red tube digital tube models, and plenty of echoplex's on ebay right now. if you want real "echo" these are the cream of the crop, along w/ a real Roland tape space echo. you get what you pay for, and hearing is believing. good luck...luck...luck...luck...luck...luck...luck...luck...luck...luck...luck...luck...luck...luck...luck...luck...luck...........:RoCkIn :BOUNCE
    feel free to hear 'em in action here: www.myspace.com/planetJABR

SIB -
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SIB-Echodrive_W...ryZ22669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIB-Echodrive-T...ryZ41415QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

echoplex -
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=echoplex

12. sega

sega Member

13. woof*

woof* Member

anyone that compares any pedal to a tape delay has just not spent any time with one. there is no comparison. we are not talking a little better, but a boatload better. ive owned 3 echoplex's, 2 rolands over the last 30 years. i currently own a sireko. they can be alot of maintainance and more money and more noisy, but play on one for any length of time and you will be spoiled. i usually use a boss dm2 for convenience now(my favorite pedal delay), but honestly, if the OP wants a tape delay and is willing to pay for one, all these pedal rec's are not going to help him.
    if you are looking for a little less $ to spend, the sireko's are a great deal(they are an echoplex that uses a cartridge,tommy bolin,joe walsh) and can be found in good shape on ebay from time to time. the sireko i have now i bought on ebay for 220, had it overhauled for another 200, and its been running fine and sounding killer for two years.

14. mrt

mrt Member

Yeah, I had it in the loop of my Mesa stiletto and DSL it sucked a TON of volume and tone. BUT I tried in the loop of a Peavey JSX and it sounded fine?

I sold it on here, the guy that bought it had a budda SD, and ended up selling it on E-bay, do to the tone sucking.

15. sega

sega Member

I taught you were trashing my comments at first, about how good a tape echo being so much better.
    But when I read the rest of your post I knew that you are a tape echo lover.

But why Roland or Boss or any big cie are not coming back to it????

I wonder...

16. blood5150

blood5150 Member

If I save long enough I can probably get a Fullltone TTE... but my question is will an RE-20 Space Echo pedal get me 90% of the way there with only a 1/4 of the cost???

17. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Nothing beats tape for that delay/echo. However, that doesn't mean I'll be dragging my RE-201 space echo to gigs on any regular basis. I looked for more convenient, manageable alternatives in pedal form. The RE-20 is probably exactly that, though I don't have much experience with this ones. For me, the answer is the H&K Replex. It has some of that Echoplex vibe and tone, not all of it, but enough. Still pretty big and clunky though.

18. mesfigas

mesfigas Member

Hmm dls echotap is also expensive but i never thought that it could suck tone

Do you believe guys that it is a common delay issue or it is a bad expensive pedal.

I like this pedal because it is a little dark.

19. blood5150

blood5150 Member

20. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I guess this is really my main question at this point...does anyone have any experience with both a real tape echo and an RE-20?