Delay....Where have you been all my life???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by madscientist, Mar 21, 2008.

1. madscientist

madscientist Member

I get home yesterday and what is waiting for me, but my brand new CMatMods Deelay. In my 19 years of playing, this is my first delay pedal and, after 3 hours of use, I'm completely hooked. Really, it's to the point where I'm really going to have to make an effort to turn it off so I'm in no danger of overuse.
    The pedal sounds fantastic. The repeats are warm and don't sound processed, with the 600 ms max time (seemed like more) more than enough for my needs. I spend most of the time with an ambient like setting (not many repeats) and it really added a professional sound to my tone. Sounds great with clean tones, but it knocked my socks off with OD. I don't quite know how to describe what it did to my crunchy rhythms and lead lines, but it added a certain roundness that just made me say, "oh yeah". I'm sure I'll find a few more ways to use the pedal, and I'll try and post some clips over the weekend. Seriously, why have I waited this long for delay??

Great pedal so far, only took a couple of days to get here too!

To those delay users out there, do you leave yours on all the time, or just for leads, etc?

2. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

about 11 years ago, i played my friend's danecho and i was hooked. i know exactly what you're talking about.

all i'll tell you--is that you should just bypass 11 years of trial&error going through different delay pedals...and buy an ep-3 echoplex.

3. madscientist

madscientist Member

I'm really scared that my OD addiction is going to turn into a delay addiction.....really, I don't need more pedals, I don't ;)

4. drod2045

drod2045 Member

I have two different delays and there is at least one on all the time. Its funny, but to me, a little bit of delay just makes the guitar sound more real to me

5. marcau

marcau Member

Same here man, got my first delay 2-3 weeks ago, a malekko e600 bright, i find it hard to turn off as well, this is my first proper analog delay and I'm loving it. like you, i set it at ambient levels and it just makes my rig sound so much better. Delay, where have you been all my life...

I have to mention that i had a dd-20 for a day, and sold it immediately as the sterility of the sound made me want to puke (sorry digital delay fans)...

6. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I also love delay however I do not keep it on all the time. For those that do, what settings do you use?

7. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

I use my delay about 90% of the time as a church player.
    Solos, backup stuff, everything.
    That being said, I use very little delay, very few repeats.
    Basically I just use it to fatten my tone up a bit.
    r.gp

8. madscientist

madscientist Member

The Malekko was my second choice for delay. It's a hard choice when you don't know exactly what you're looking for, how your ears will perceive the sound and how it changes your rig.

9. madscientist

madscientist Member

Yeah, 19 years without a delay. I'll have to consider a wah at some point as well.

10. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

Delay is a must-have pedal for me. I love those arena rock delays!

11. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

I know the feeling.

I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a Deluxe Memory Man as my first delay after only two or three years of playing and I felt like a whole new world had opened up to me. Since buying it nearly 4 years ago I've not even considered replacing the DMM, but I have plans on picking up a second analog delay with modulation when I can easily afford it. I'm looking towards the Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport. :D

Enjoy the delay.

12. Don L

Don L Member

That's what I do with mine, around 400ms or so. Works well with majority of the songs we play in the bands. I think that's what EJ does too.

13. geng

geng Member

Tap tempo system is also a must in case of Delay - to control speed of repeats.

14. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I've got an older CMATMODS Deelay that I love. I can't imagine needing any other delay pedal.
    I don't use delay much and don't need tap tempo so it is perfect.
    I may start trying to use it more as a base sound too.

15. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I will run one all the time, however its a short delay, to really boost the tone of the guitar, not a real effect, but its great way to improve the tone, especially on a fenders or single coils.

enjoy

16. madscientist

madscientist Member

You're right, with singles, it really helps to bulk up the tone. Unfortunately, my list of essential pedals has grown, it used to be just an OD and a boost (for solo's), not it's two OD's (got to have different flavors), a boost, and now a delay.

Maybe if it came down to it, an OD and the deelay would do fine, but I'd have to work the volume knob.

17. 3fingers

3fingers Member

While not a pedal, I swear by the old Maestro Echoplexes. They do add something to your tone (yes they can be noisy and yes tapes are getting harder to find). But once you use one, you can never go back. I set it about 32 ms and 3-4 repeats. Volume levels are low so that the last note is barely audible. Works for me. Playing dry..? Wow...that's for the real men! :)

18. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

if your looking for some effects,

vary the delay knob on the delay pedal, and you get a flying saucer

another one on a delay / echo pedal, is get to much feedback on the pedal and you get an explosion, cool when you want it, not when you don't. I have an EH Memory Man, and the big knobs can be adjusted by my feet, sometimes I go places I really wish I had not on the pedal.

another cool effect is an organ like effect running an echo pedal into a flanger, its kind of hard to find, but amazing when you do.

19. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

I had delays before I bought my first guitar :cool:

Now I have about 8 of them. Some day I'm going to hook them all together...

20. madscientist

madscientist Member

with that much delay, you'll have repeats going for an hour and a half. Go for dinner, come back, and it'll still be going.