Delay with tap tempo and expression pedal feedback control

pawel

I am looking for a pedal that would do two things:

• Work as a regular tap tempo delay
  • Allow me to increase feedback up to 100% with my foot to set up a seamless loop/drone and then fade it back out
It would be great if I could do this without having to change modes on the pedal and if I could still use the tap tempo with the feedback maxed. I guess it would not have to be an expression pedal - a "hold" that goes between the feedback setting on a pedal and 100% could also work well.

I am currently using my Line 6 M5 for this, but the Expression pedal setting tends to be a bit temperamental from time to time and I sometimes find myself switching patches by pressing both switches by mistake. Something simpler and more dedicated would fit my needs perfectly. I tried a Deluxe Memory Boy, but the delay time was a bit too short and it would self-oscillate too quickly - I don't need a pristine loop, but I also can't have it get too crazy.

I imagine that some of the big pedals will do it (Timeline, Timefactor, Superdelay), anything else out there?

Empros

Memory Lane Jr can be modded to have expression control. It would also work really well for what you're wanting to do because it never oscillates, it just goes into a cool infinite-feedback mode that gets a bit crazy but not oscillation-crazy if that makes sense.

The only problem is that the repeats cut out when you tap a new tempo in unless you're in the fourth mode, which does the analog pitch-shifting thing when you change times. That mode has 600ms of delay (I think) and the normal modes have 1200ms (I think).

The El Cap shold also be able to do that. It does infinite repeats/oscillation when you hold the tap tempo footswitch down. You could also use an expression pedal like you want. The oscillation can get crazy, but it's also easy to tame. I can get it to oscillate and never go above unity volume, which is cool.

thelionsden

Timefactor definitely. Very easy. Expression pedal can control many/multiple parameters and can be different ones on each preset

pawel

That is the obvious one and I thought about it, but expression pedal feedback control means using the built-in switch for tap tempo, which might be a bit annoying in the heat of the moment. Still, it's easy enough to get and resell, so maybe I should just try it.

Memory Lane Jr can be modded to have expression control. It would also work really well for what you're wanting to do because it never oscillates, it just goes into a cool infinite-feedback mode that gets a bit crazy but not oscillation-crazy if that makes sense.

The only problem is that the repeats cut out when you tap a new tempo in unless you're in the fourth mode, which does the analog pitch-shifting thing when you change times. That mode has 600ms of delay (I think) and the normal modes have 1200ms (I think).

The El Cap shold also be able to do that. It does infinite repeats/oscillation when you hold the tap tempo footswitch down. You could also use an expression pedal like you want. The oscillation can get crazy, but it's also easy to tame. I can get it to oscillate and never go above unity volume, which is cool.

That's interesting - thank you. Both are probably a bit more than I want to spend and maybe a bit overkill for this application, although I always wanted the El Cap...

pawel

Timefactor definitely. Very easy. Expression pedal can control many/multiple parameters and can be different ones on each preset

Unfortunately a bit overkill considering I would otherwise only use it as a basic digital delay. More than I can spend too.

JHS Panther Cub

Didn't know about this one. From the description it is not clear if I could control feedback with the expression pedal. Given that they are highlighting feedback and oscillation I am also wondering if it would be able to hold a loop without oscillating.

DMM tap tempo

I found that the Deluxe Memory Boy I had wasn't "stable" enough to have a drone going without risking blown speakers/eardrums. Not sure whether the DMM would behave very differently here.

meterman

That's interesting - thank you. Both are probably a bit more than I want to spend and maybe a bit overkill for this application, although I always wanted the El Cap...

I use an expression pedal on the mix of my El Cap and the built in tap tempo, works real well. Actually the expression can control any one of the 5 main parameters (time, mix, repeats, age and wow/flutter). It also has a setting for kind of a lo-fi continous loop that can stay relatively clean or get real weird depending on how you set it. If you try it I would suggest getting v2 which has the soft switches and stereo in/out, mine is v1 and the stomp switches aren't the best for tap tempo, and only mono in.

rjmjunes

I'm not sure, but I think the flashback x4 is capable of this. I think all of the parameters can be controlled via expression pedal. the max feedback settings on some of the algorithms like tape and analog can make a nice soup to play over. I think the 2290 mode may work well for a clean loop. Turn on tails/buffered bypass and then you can switch off the delay and keep your loop playing as you play over the top. Of course, there is a looper on board too...

gulizioquel

which does the analog pitch-shifting thing when you change times
ce37.jpg

pawel

I had the Deluxe Memory Boy for a bit and eventually sold it. It was a fun pedal, but it didn't quite do what I needed it to do: at high feedback settings it would just be too uncontrollable and wouldn't reliably hold a loop. I need something where I can lock in a short loop while I tune, or to serve as a background for a cleaner guitar part.

At the moment it looks like a DD7 or El Cap are things to be on a lookout for.

pawel

I'm not sure, but I think the flashback x4 is capable of this. I think all of the parameters can be controlled via expression pedal. the max feedback settings on some of the algorithms like tape and analog can make a nice soup to play over. I think the 2290 mode may work well for a clean loop. Turn on tails/buffered bypass and then you can switch off the delay and keep your loop playing as you play over the top. Of course, there is a looper on board too...

Ha, didn't think about this one - too bad it's huge and would take up half of my pedaltrain mini :bkw

rjmjunes

Also, some algorithms on fbx4, like "space", will allow for oscillation if you want that. I think most will stay stable and can be as murky or clean as you would like. Very versatile unit.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom