delay!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pickleweed, May 20, 2011.

1. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

hey guys. looking for a delay pedal, and need some opinions. im not much of a delay head, but id like something nice and can possibly fill the place of a reverb. id mainly use it to fill my sound, but would like to be able to get some u2 and pink floyd out of it. analog, digital.....im open to either. also, id like to keep a smaller footprint if it doesnt affect the sound to much. what do you guys think?

2. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

Timefactor.

Many will tell you that the strymon timeline "sounds better" or is "easier to use" don't listen. The pedal isn't on the market so they're just talking without any experience at all.

For me the timefactor is the winner easy. The UI is super simple and just makes sense to me and it sounds great, to top it off, eventide releases FREE updates and listens to their user base about what they want in updates, much like cliff at fractal, the userbase is the best advertising you'll get. No, I'm not playing the same songs and setting a specific preset for every song, I have about 10 that I use. I can do everything from country to hard rock to U2 to blues. All with the one box. The knobs can be intimidating at first, then you figure out what you need. I don't use modulated delay but you can set it to your hearts content if that's your thing. The digital is the clearest I've ever heard and the tape sounds really nice and warm, I use it the most.

Most of my friends use a nova, because it's cheaper. They sound great too, but don't have as many options and the UI just didn't work for me, but different strokes for different folks.

I'm sure others will give their opinions, and I'm sure some foodie will come tell you about how much "better" the timeline (that they have no experience with) is at some point...

Hope this helps...

3. Bro.Twang

Bro.Twang Member

I like the memory man. It even comes in simpler, cheaper versions.

4. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Just get the Boss DD-7. Great all around pedal for the money. Really any DD pedal will suffice!

5. theroan

theroan Member

Honestly, if you want a small foot print and affordability before you really dive into delays, get an Echo Park. Great sounds, small footprint, tap and lots of flexibility.

6. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Word. This ugly little box does a good tape echo, a passable Memory Man, a hard dotted 8, and slapback. If it had presets, it'd be perfect.

7. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

+1. Line 6 delays are simply... awesome. They do so much. I personally also really love my Boss DD-3, but it doesn't do all the things the Echo Park does.

8. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

thanks for the suggestions guys. ive liked what i heard of the carbon copy. pretty no nonsense little bugger that fills the space. but i understand i probably wouldnt use it for delay per se.

am i far off in thinking of using a carbon copy in place of a reverb pedal, and picking up a second digital delay to get the other end of the spectrum? does anyone else basically use a delay as a reverb?

9. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

For super low $$$ there's no finer delay than the Ibanez DE-7. It does great tape-like tones, analog slapback, or pristine digital depending on your taste. The only weakness is the footswitch, which can easily be modded. Mine is a drasp modded DE-7 with a Lovepedal type footswitch and it KILLS. This is coming from a guy who has owned a great old Deluxe Memory man and a couple superb EP-3 Echoplex's.

If you need a bunch of delays the Line 6 DL4 is also really good or the Empress Superdelay if you have the $$$.

10. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Sure. Delays and reverbs can cover a lot of common ground.

I love the CC by the way for what you describe: simple, small, cheap, and good, almost great tone. RUnning it at 12-18V may move it into great territory, but I sold mine in a fit of GAS before I learned that was possible. I'm thinking of grabbing another one.

Another great option for you to check out is the TC Flashback.

11. bettset

bettset Member

i combed tgp to check on all the delays out there. went with the carbon copy.......& glad i did. run it thru the loop.....18v.....sweet :munch