• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Delayed NAD: Landry LS100G3

mickelodeon

So I'm *months* late with this but figured I'd finally post a NAD/review for this beast of an amplifier.

First things first - Bill is absolutely fantastic. There are a lot of good guys in this business, but Bill stands with the absolute very best. He's knowledgeable, easy to talk to, and is just as passionate about chasing tone as the rest of us. Besides all of that, he's a rippin' player which I am absolutely convinced plays a huge role in being a great amp designer.

Now the amp.

Wow. Wow. Wow.

This thing nails the sound in my head that I've been chasing for so long. The bottom end is tight and focused, the mids and treble are nice and present with lots of cut but are never harsh, to the point of pretty much not being able to get a bad sound out of this thing. There's a ton of gain on tap on the red channel, and if you're REALLY feeling the need to go to super mondo levels of gain, kick into the boost on the second channel and it just keeps going.

It also cleans up crazy well. I mean, this amp could EASILY be a single channel of the just the red/dirty side and you'd never need anything else. Rolling back the volume offers clean/low gain tones better than most single channel clean/low gain amps. To be honest, I really don't know how he accomplished the touch sensitivity. I've played a lot of high gain amps and NONE of them respond like this.

Then there's the clean channel which I also maintain could be sold as a pedal platform in a single channel format and would light the gear world on fire. Chimey, rich, full, with just a hint of dirt when you REALLY push the gain to bust, but it's still only a hint. Bill also offers a "dirty clean" option which will take you more into plexi territory, but for my ears the low gain tones on the red are so good that I'm more than happy to keep my cleans nice and clean. I put this thing up against my blackface twin and 68 plexi and was blown away at how much ass this thing kicks.

This amp is no one trick pony - if you can't get a GREAT sound out of the LS100G3, it's time to go back to the woodshed.

More pics and clips to follow whenever I have time to take more - too busy playing and basking in the glorious tone.

Jay Axis

Congrats on the G3! I agree with you across the board! I've had a G3 for almost a year now and love it! Mine has the dirty clean channel. I'm playing mine through Scumback M75-PVCs most of the time. What settings are you using? I have mostly settled in on roughly sticking to the red channel for most of my playing with bright switch all the way up, gain on 3 oclock, treble 2, mids 2, bass 10 presence at 3 or 4 switchs on soft and classic, and depth at 9 (this is all "o'clock" or per the clock face on the dials). I love these settings with my Scumback speakers and closed back 2X12 or 4X12 cabs. It is similar to my '68 plexi build at these settings, but the G3 is tighter and a little more gain and sustain.

Also, as you said, Bill is an absolute class act. A really great guy that loves tone and wants his customers happy, and yeah, he can play too!

Mixtape4384

Had a lot of amps. The G3 and my BE are my top 2 faves. And Bill goes above and beyond to answer questions and provide support to his customers.

timmat

Silver Supporting Member
Well I just bought a G3 today and it should arrive next week. This thread isn't helping with my anticipation....

Jay Axis

And here is a quick video of my G3 doing its thing in a W/D/W set up with Eventide micropitch and delay. Rough playing and crappy phone recording, but it gives an idea anyway.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom