1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Delayla XL

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by erik smith, Aug 15, 2005.

1. erik smith

erik smith Member

whos played one and what did you think

2. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

yeah ..the features really turned me on too. played one in a store and went right to the achilles heel of the older version . I cranked up the intensity all the way and DAMN ...it too made a whirring kind of feedback ...too bad `cause the delay sound was really nice

3. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Uh...well if you want us to dampen it anymore there would not be much of a sound left, plus it is actually abit on purpose, we rather like it when it trips out, it does not do it at normal levels.
    Some like it to do so, others don't, anyways we modify them for people who wants it different.

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I tried one a couple of months back... didn't like it, sorry.

Even though I am an analog-delay fan (I like that feeding-back effect), I just found it too grainy and poor-sounding at longer delays. It was fine at shorter ones, but really got unusably 'ringy' at the high end of the range.

I also thought the lack of a manual speed setting - you have to use the tap-tempo - was a major design flaw. Tap tempo is great for some things, and hopeless for others... like trying to set an accurate slapback. You can't use a longer delay setting and then set the slapback using the specific controls for it, because it only works on the delay, not the direct signal. So you can't get a simple slapback at all (at the correct speed or otherwise) without tapping the tempo switch as fast as possible to use the main delay as the slapback, which then means you have no long delay.

Just not well-thought-out at all, IMO.

5. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Oh my...well good thing that quite a few others who do like it because of the funky sound;)
    Anyways for you never pleased types..hehe... there is a second version on deck, much more how it was intended to be by the designer actually:D
    It will feature a normal use setting with a knob, and then you can switch in the tempotap if you like and tap in the time, and then back to the manual knob thus creating a simple preset.
    The second head will dissapear and the delay will get an entirely different sound, plus getting a toneknob, also you can use an expression pedal for manual adjusting of the time.
    The very first version had two switches for time settings, one up and one down...very fun actually.
    It may sport a loop for your own modulation box or what ever you will like to use.
    Søren was very enamoured with tempo tap, so the expression part got lost until now:)
    Plus we also do custom stuff on the plexi, more vintage sounds and such.

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Now that does sound a lot more interesting... :)

I'm not never pleased, I'm just picky :). Except when I'm not :D.

Seriously, I didn't like the DeLayla XL because I thought the problems with it outweighed the good points, and it was just frustrating in use. Almost like a product which had been 'cut down' from the one it was supposed to be... ;)

A tone knob on the delay would be very cool - it could go a long way to help with the 'ring' at long settings. It will be a shame to lose the second head though, even if it didn't do a simple slapback on the dry sound, it was nice for Edge-type stuff.

Why can't we just have all the features at once?!

7. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Well if you want pretty delay...the second chip will have to be used for beefing things up.
    (Personally I almost never use the second head, I have a few different versions of it here at home, one with a loop and a even more funky sound...most of the time I only use the second head to send it into self-oscilillation really.)
    Anyways the prototype can go cleanly to 1.6 secs, at 2 it gets slighly grainy again..but not anywhere like the normal xl.
    And half the pedal is filled up with the counter circutry for the damn tap tempo;) so we have no room left for installing a second head chip
    ;)
    It is a fatter delay, more warm and muscular, can go from normal open to very dark.
    Heh I think that we have too many delay pedals as it...delayla, delayla xl, Red Repeat, the one in the Quattro, they are all different from each other...:eek:

8. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Here you go ;) Johns Echo

9. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

I played through a Delayla (XL? I don't remember)that a friend owns.. I much preffered it to my Echotap that I was using at the time. I tried to buy it from him but no dice.. I couldn't even use my Tap after that and went back to my DM-2s. I liked the Delayla better than my DM-2s... Tap tempo is not a big deal to me though, so, different strokes right..I think I just like the analog sound better.. That one Delayla was a keeper though..... It could take a hit from a fuzz or OD and stand tall.. Great delay....

10. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I don't think so. I've never tried one, but just looking at the spec it's still far too limited.

The new DeLayla (XXL? ;)) that Rid is talking about sounds more interesting, even without the dual repeat...

Until then, Boss DM-2 + DE-200 is working OK for me.

11. paulandpaul

paulandpaul Member

when does the red repeat come out!??

I emailed someone at carl martin and tried to preorder one and no one answered my email.

I loved the clip i heard and am still very interested.

12. muddy

muddy Member

whozzat, elton john? :D

ml

13. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Your kidding right --- thats what made me think of it - you were describing it to a T - tone knob on the repeats - a separate delay for slapbacks and then stomp to Tap tempo.....

14. Rid

Rid Senior Member

The red repeat is in production now, later this autum it will probally hit the streets.
    Sorry for the no reply, we are a bit swamped these days;)
    I am sure that Søren will get around to you.
    Well I am off to work now, will take the special cl with me home today and make some clips of it.
    Niels
    CM

15. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

Ah that would be different....... tho is the Delayla a true analog delay?

16. Rid

Rid Senior Member

No it is not.
    It is a hybrid, but it is only the delay chip that is digital, it has build in ADA converters as well, no processor stuff inside that thing.
    The sound is all in the filtering and the tone control as well on the newest delays.

17. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Ladies and gentlemen, you do know that the Diamond Memory Lane is already shipping, right? It's a beautiful thing... I love mine.

18. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Do you know that mine is already on order? :) Looking forward to it. = true analog delay.

19. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Let us know when it arrives! I think I'm one of the first to receive one - I'm curious to see whether everyone else digs it as much as I do. It's great value really (especially compared to other analog delays), considering all the features...

20. rickbob

rickbob Member

originally posted by Chuck Snider
    Chuck, that was an original Delayla (pre-Delayla XL), all analog, 30-500ms per C.M. There were some design problems (they'd quit working...) with some of 'em that they cleared up, required sending unit to C.M. for fix but it has worked great ever since, plus they gave me the reasurance of a lifetime warranty because of the original problems. These are no longer in production as far as i know but are still for sale new (NOS i think) at a few places, though the prices are higher than what i paid for sure....pretty damn cool unit though, great headroom as you say, great tone, 'tap' adds a trippy ambiance though as noted elsewhere the time of the second head/tap is set, non-adjustable.