Delays into front of distorted amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Miketheslav, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Miketheslav

Miketheslav Silver Supporting Member

I love the sound and feel of amp distortion and I love the sound of a tape like delay or a warm delay like a Carbon Copy or a DD7. But I don't like the sound of nearly any longer delay (anything longer than say 200ms) into the front of a dirty amp (say a Plexi type). I have a Strymon Volante that I was hoping would do the front of the amp trick knowing that back in the day there was no such thing as an effects loop.

So anyone found a great delay that works into an already pushing amp without resorting to an effects loop?

2. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i really like the sound of a delay into the front of a dirty amp. i used a diamond mljr and counterpoint with the lead channel of my Rivera Knucklehead 55 for years. lately i have been using a boss dd500 into the lead channel of a mesa studio 22+ combo. to my ears the cleaner delay styles work better for this. i have tried some warmer delays and even analog delays and they get too furry. i had a way huge supa puss and the repeats didn't even sound like a guitar.

awallace and Miketheslav like this.
  3. HugoLC

HugoLC Member

Ive been using a carbon copy for like what almost 10 years in front of cranked Marshall boosted by an OD. DD-7 is usable but not that much , in fact to me it's mostly analog vs digital.
    Boss DW-2 did it well too
    Retro Sonic Vintage Vibes Analog Delay does it very well
    But pedals like ehx canyon sounds far and lost and are mostly unplayable
    Lately I'm trying to fit a keeley 30ms and it sounds great but I know it's might not be everyone taste

Miketheslav likes this.
  4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

It really depends on how distorted your amp is, if it`s hi-gain shred style, no delay will work well. Especially if you want the delay to sit behind your notes studio-style.
    You can do it EVH/style, using it as a specific effect rhythmically. But that only works that way really, he ran bone dry most of the time.

5. TheNewWhatNext

TheNewWhatNext Member

I have only ever used delay into dirty amps and always love the sounds I get. However, it is worth noting what's already been said and that it'll work fine as long as you're not into super-saturated metal gain. Plexi-style crunch though? Absolutely.

For that purpose I have been using a Boss DM-2W, which is the best delay I've ever played, and also a Malekko Ekko 616, which is also very cool. Basically if you go for a thicker analog delay it'll meld nicely with a dirty amp. Pete Thorn did a great video on this;

6. Multi Angle Vise

Multi Angle Vise Member

I like my old CD-10 for this, but I don't think it's too critical, because the amp distortion is going to mask most of the delay's character.

Key point (for me) is to use much lower delay levels. Then the original guitar sound masks most of the delay sound while you're still playing. When your note decays (or stops), the delay sound jumps out that much louder because of the gain of the amp (but is obviously less distorted than your original note). IOW the clipping of the chain is ducking the delay. Say you've got 60dB of overall gain, but 40dB of that is past the clipping point. You set the delay level 15-20dB under your guitar level, so delayed signal only has 40-45dB overall gain. It's still 20-25dB past clipping, so it's going to be the same volume when you stop playing, but not too messy when you are playing.

Miketheslav likes this.
  7. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

I used a red Echodrive in front of my amps. You need to adjust according to taste but you can get some pretty satisfying sounds.

Miketheslav likes this.
  8. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay was designed to be run in front of the amp. Bought mine when they came out and never looked back. This pedal does what your asking for.

jsboswell and Bagels&Vox like this.
  9. Miketheslav

Oh awesome, Pete always has such great content!

TheNewWhatNext likes this.
  10. Miketheslav

Oh nice! Does it make a difference between the HW and the PCB version?

11. Miketheslav

That is absolutely true. Running it in front of the amp you have to tweak the levels a bit more and run it lower than you otherwise would in the loop!

12. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I'm a delay in front kind of guy and I agree with all the comments in this thread. Less mix, darker delay tone and don't try to do a super modern long clean delay, it won't really work. Lean on the shorter time and more slapback type sounds.

Miketheslav likes this.
  13. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Supporting Member

Digital delay in front of an overdriven amp never worked for me because you can hear the digital mechanism humming. Clean amp, no problem.

If you have your heart set on bright, I’ll suggest the MXR Carbon Copy Bright.

14. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

I have an early handwired one and love it. Never tried the pcb. If you can afford the HW you won't be disappointed. The DBD is the perfect set it and forget it, in front of the amp delay. It's a ducking type delay that's there when you need it but seems to blend and hide when you don't. It was also made to work well with overdrive.

15. Bagels&Vox

Bagels&Vox Member

came here to say the same thing, love my deep blue

earthmud likes this.
  16. IYWBBYGBG

IYWBBYGBG Member

Analogman delay. I had this for a few years and preferred it hitting the front of the amp - really merges into the amp well and doesn't sound like an effects "on top" of your sound. Should sound clean on clean tones, and add some texture to already dirty tones.

17. Bogner

Bogner Member

Echoplex was designed to run in front.

Side note on a designed for in front reverb and you have the MXR M300.

Miketheslav likes this.
  18. markmann

markmann Member

I'm not an expert but it seems none of my digital delays work well in front of a distorted amp but years ago my vintage Memory Man sounded excellent in front of my cranked Hiwatt.

19. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Hermida EPH-3 is great in front of a dirty amp.

20. Teleman76

Teleman76 Tubes-a-glowin Silver Supporting Member

Belle Epoch was designed to go into the front of an overdriven amp. It does it well too. It’s al in the amount of mix. Can’t go wild with it or a high mix.