Delays into the front end

ejkennedy

Who here is using delays into the front of a one channel amp? (No fx loop). I've used many many great delays but always in a loop. I have an amp that is phenomenal sounding just no loop. Curious what people are using. I know the MP DBD is a common response to the question but what else. I'm thinking about getting another ElCap.

jocfan1

My Orange is 2-channel, but no loop, so all my pedals run in front. For delays, I have an AnalogMan ARDX20 & Line6 DL4 on my main board, plus an Ibanez AD9 that recently got moved to an acoustic board I'm assembling. I've found that analog delays work best for me when I'm getting my dirt from my amp. The DL4 is mostly for weird sounds & looping.

Gemart

When I had the Lovepedal Echophonic (v2), I remember that sounding stellar through dirty amps. I think Pete Thorn does an excellent demonstration of this in a video. If your amp is totally clean though, pretty much any delay will sound good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Depends on how much gain you are getting off that one channel amp. If you run the amp clean it isn't an issue. If you are using a domed JTM45 or something you'll need to be a bit more careful. The El Cap, Deep Blue Delay, And waiting for the Echoverb from Bearfoot. What amp and what gain level are we talking about?

Tim Bowen

I've always ran straight into the front of amps except for in the past when using higher gain amps. I like analog delays with good headroom. An "analog-voiced" digital w/ rolled off highs on the repeats is a better call than pristine digital repeats, but IMO true analog still merges better with the amp. I love old recordings from Sun records rockabilly to Echoplex useage in R&R and that's not FX loop stuff. Not a big fan of FX loops in general other than as a 'fix' when there's too much dirt from the amp to run time-based stuff in front. As far as what I use, I have lots of analog delays. The award for 'best into the front of the amp' goes to Maxon AD-900. AnalogMan ARDX20 is good too.

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
I know it was mentioned already in the OP but I actually do find the MP DBD best for front end applications .

Drak

Into the front end of a clean amp, same thing (more or less) like putting it in the loop.
Into the front of a dirty amp, like putting them before your dirt.
Up to you in the end what flavor you prefer.

crimson on pink

Silver Supporting Member
I run my montavillian out front of my sunn. I love how it blends into it. I use mine more as background ambience to fill certain passages out tho.

Birddog

I always have my delay run into the front of my gigging amp (usually a fender twin, sometimes clean channel on marshall).

For coverband work, I find that the clean amp is the way to go and get other tones from a variety of pedals. Delay always at the end of the pedal board, right before the amp input.

That said, there are lots of "right" ways to do it.

Cgkindler

I've never run my pedals in the loop - always into the front of a clean amp.

I try it in the loop, and just can't hear any difference.

But I'm not using the amp's dirt.

Walkin Stiff

I was running a Boss DM-2 to the front of my Victoria tweed (no effects loop). Now I'm running a Boss DM-3. Both sound fantastic for rockabilly slapback through the front.

ejkennedy

Yeah if I was only playing clean tones it wouldn't really matter. Thanks for all the ideas guys!! I'm using an Aiken 18 watt Invader combo. BEAUTIFUL FREAKING AMP CLEAN TO DIRTY. couldn't emphasize that enough. Its basically a refined plexi with other sound options. It has way more headroom than you'd think but I will be using it with the attenuator on about -9 DB. And working my Strat volume as well as using a TS type od for slight boost in gain/volume.
I loved the ElCap, mml, and a host of other delays that I've owned. I have a very clear memory of running a Carbon Copy into the front end of an amp one time and it was HORRENDOUS sounding. I love that pedal in a loop though.

THiwaTT

I always run my delays out front - My old Hiwatt clone did not have a loop, so I got used to running everything out front

filipedelbel

I used to run Timefactor in front of Orange Dual Terror with no issues, the only tweak I needed to do is make the repeats brighter.

teefus

i put my delays (empress tape delay and t c alter ego) in the front of my rivera knucklehead '55 even though it has a loop.

Kluch

Use a single channel egnater 15 head/cab... don't use the fx loop... I always run all my delays in front, dd-20,m9, and jhs panther... granted I always run the amp clean, heavily overdriving it, then adding delay doesn't sound as good.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
No FX loops on my three amps:

- Allen Encore
- Gries 20
- Tweed Bassman

I'm using a CB Montavillian, Skreddy Echo, CB Belle Epoch on the way.

ejkennedy

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try another mml Jr. Then go to an analog if it doesn't sit will with the amp.

Trending Topics