Delays that trail off....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jb1984, Jul 15, 2008.

1. jb1984

jb1984 Member

So I know it's not possible for true-bypass delays to continue to trail off after you turn them off, so what delays have this functionality and a good, solid buffer that doesn't suck tone?

I'm currently using the Boss RE-20, which is great, but I miss having the presets of the DL-4 (although I don't miss the tone suckage). The Eventide TimeFactor was totally flexible but totally digital sounding - it didn't "smear" like the RE-20 and DL-4 can. Yes, I did the software update and spent quite a few hours tweaking it - it just seemed like that box has an inherent "digital" quality.

What else would you guys suggest for trailing delays? So far, I know of:

Boss RE-20
    Line 6 DL-4
    Eventide TimeFactor
    TC Nova
    Boss DD-20

...and I haven't been totally happy with any one of those. If only the Empress Super-Delay were capable of this!

Or, from another angle - have any of you previously only used delays that will continue to trail off, and have since found a TB delay that you don't miss this function with?

KTHXBAI.

2. drod2045

drod2045 Member

Line 6 EchoPark
    Subdecay Echobox
    Boss DD6 (7?)

those come to mind

3. jb1984

jb1984 Member

OOOH. that subdecay echobox is nice... maybe that plus the RE-20 for tap tempo/light delay would be killer!

4. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

The analog mod on the DD7 sounds pretty close to the original DM-2

5. giggedy

giggedy Member

hmmm, interesting

6. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

I'm watching keenly and closely, and regarding with envious eyes the new Digitech hardwire delay/looper...it does that tail off thing. Think I'd put it in a TB looper though and kick it out of the circuit once the delay has finished tailing off.

7. jb1984

jb1984 Member

i'd like to hear that one as well... i feel like if digitech were smart (and they seem to be, considering they're catering to the massive boutique pedal market at a lower price point), they'd throw a good buffer on those pedals since they're not TB.

8. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

What I like about the Echo Park is that you can turn off the trails feature, disabling the processing when in bypass. So you have your choice of both worlds.

The Echo Park really has everything a DD should have:

• Echo trails on/off switch
    • Tap tempo
    • Choice of analog/digital/tape simulations
    • Mix / Repeats / Time knobs
    • Modulation effect (Vibrato, Chorus or Wow & Flutter)
    • Quarter notes, Eighths, Dotted Eighths, Slapback
    • Swell delay, Sweep Filter, Stereo ping pong echo, Reverse/backwards echoes
    • Mono or stereo input, Mono or stereo output

All that for a hundred bucks.

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

+1 on the DD-7 in analog mode... sweet...

10. jb1984

jb1984 Member

whoa - didn't know the pigtronix echolution had the trails feature also. that might be the winner... although, i'll need to get my doctorate before figuring out how to use it.

11. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

I thought the whole point behind those pedals was that they were true bypass.

My Digitech DigiDelay tails off. I don't know why this delay doesn't get more love, here. :crazyguy

12. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I would second (or third...fourth) on the DD-7. Not for the mere analog delay feature but also the functionality and sound quality. The fact that the pedal has a stand-by mode and reflects the tempo of whatever you tap in via internal tap tempo function or external momentary switch sold me on the pedal. Plus if you want a more digital sounding delay, the standard delay functions on the pedal do a very clean job with lots of flexibility. At the least, I would recommend the DD-5 for trailing delays as well. The DD-7 trails as well but if you want something slightly more affordable with essentially the same quality, the DD-5 would be a good alternative.

And for some reassurance, I honestly don't sense much tone suck out of these pedals - especially since I have a non-keeley modded DL-4 and you can definitely hear the tone suck in that. But whenever I engage and disengage the pedal while a note is ringing, I can hardly hear a difference in my dry signal.

13. leech

leech Member

the Empress Super Delay in Misc Mode submode C does trail off.

14. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay smokes most everything IMHO.

Gregory

15. puddinstone

puddinstone Supporting Member

I agree...but it's missing one key factor, external tap tempo. Plus...those Line6 foot switches always felt poorly designed to me. I always felt like it was broken every time I stepped on it.

16. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

I don't know for sure, but I think you might be in the minority here.

Excluding the tiny plastic knobs, those Tonecore pedals are built like tanks.

17. johnrambo

johnrambo Member

the great thing about the echobox is that you can have it either way you want