Delays with hold/swell/infinite switch like on DOD Rubberneck

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rushrocker, Mar 21, 2019.

1. rushrocker

rushrocker Member

I think the Rubberneck has the worst sounding repeats of any of the dozen or so delays I've owned. The bucket loss is just way too high and it's also so darn difficult to dial in. About 1mm movement of the repeats knob goes from too short to infinite repeats and an unusable volume swell. There is no washy middle where the repeats just lay in the background for 10-15 seconds and aren't disturbing your playing. And don't get me started on if you touch the gain or tone knobs, get ready to spend the next 10 minutes dialing in your repeat and level knobs again!

HOWEVER, that darn right footswitch that has the hold/swell/infinite feature is friggin awesome.

What other delay pedals do this? I also imagine a delay with a repeats function expression pedal would be capable of this as well.

Thanks!

2. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

DMMTT and DD500 based on what I've owned!

3. Tung-Sol Tube

Tung-Sol Tube Member

There are a few I can think of that have momentary oscillation: Strymon El Capistan, Brigadier, and Timeline, Caroline Kilobyte, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe, Mattoverse Warble Swell, EQD Avalanche Run.

I know the DOD has a regen adjust control that allows you to set the maximum feedback amount. The BED has an internal trimpot for this. The DMM-TT units have a way to set it as well. It's a good feature to have.

4. 2Badde

2Badde Member

The Source Audio Nemesis does this beautifully - however, your guitar signal over the repeat-loop will not be processed with delay, it will remain as is. I believe the EHX MM with Haz does some form of this. I've always wanted to try that pedal...

5. Davin Kuntze

Davin Kuntze Member

The Chase Bliss delays have this.

6. rushrocker

rushrocker Member

Thanks for the help!

What about the TC Electronic Flashback 2 with the MASH function?

7. cmc3000

cmc3000 Member

I have been curious about the rubberneck recently as well, tho I think I’m leaning towards analogman delay or a strymon volante, might cheap out and get a used boss dm-2w tho

8. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Solidgoldfx Electroman & Electroman mkii. There’s a toggle on the second version to adjust the rate of onset for the oscillation footswitch.

EAR AD4096 and mkii also has this kind of feedback footswitch.

9. Viking999

Viking999 Member

Bondi Art Van Delay, as well

10. ED_P

ED_P Silver Supporting Member

BOSS DD-3 if you set the repeat knob to max

11. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

12. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

I personally love the rubberneck, tone knob not helping you?

whateverdude likes this.
  13. rushrocker

rushrocker Member

The tone knob is... unique. At higher levels, it sucks the bass out completely which sounds terrible. And at lower levels it's just a dark thud, not quite musical. Somewhere in the middle is about as good as it gets. Also, the tone knob has such a strong correlation with the repeats and level it's extremely frustrating to change any settings on this pedal as the entire rest of the settings become totally useless the moment you do.

For example, with the tone and gain knobs higher up, the pedal oscillates with the repeat knob at like 10 o'clock. However with the tone and gain knobs lower the pedal oscillates with the repeat knob at like 3 o'clock.

14. fab38

fab38 Member

And this is why this pedal is killer IMHO.

15. spod

spod Member

EHX SuperEgo+ has a freeze function which is great.

16. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Member

I've been watching the DM-2w market and I'm not sure they are cheaper than the blowout Rubbern...whoa! ok I just checked on Rubbernecks and the price has jumped again! Back to $230-250 range for new and $150s for used...

17. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

Yes...Flashback 2 with mash can do that. You can map several pararmeters to the mash switch on the toneprints.
    Look into the Strymon El Cap also...sounds killer with holding down the tap tempo switch.

18. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

Yeah, I have to agree with your impressions. And the controls are very interactive.

I've bought two and am considering a third. Care to sell yours to me? :banana

Serious offer BTW.

19. rushrocker

rushrocker Member

Haha ok. I'll shoot you a message, although I am likely to hold on to it until I source a replacement!

20. MIM#1

MIM#1 Member

Patience....I predict they will go through the roof in a year or five. ;-)