Delays with Subdivision

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Guitarmiester, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Member

Pretty self explanatory question that I'm sure you guys will have options galore. I've got too many delays on my board, I know, how can anyone ever have too many? But on a serious note, trying to condense my board.

What delays are out there that can apply subdivisions to the tempo you've tapped in? My Empress SuperDelay does this in tape mode. The tempo knob is actually for adjusting the subdivision instead of tempo in that mode. It's an extremely handy feature that I'm curious as to what other delays have this. Tap tempo is preferred for live use.

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I really like my Nova Repeater. It is a really versatile pedal and underrated. It has a lot of different subdivision options as well as a bunch of other features

3. 9520575

9520575 Member

4. ifailedshapes

ifailedshapes Member

Strymon
    Eventide
    TC Electronic
    Diamond
    Boss

These are just a few companies that make delays with tapable subdivisions. There are many more.

5. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

The Boss DD20 is a great meat-and-potatoes delay. It'll get the job done and last a long time doing it.

6. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Member

Thanks for the input, guys. Gives me a good starting ground. I had a Boss DD20 a few years back that I didn't have a use for then but wish I held onto it anyway. Didn't realize it had subdivisions so I'll have to revisit that pedal.

Jordane93 - have you compared the repeater to any other TC delays, like the Flashback or nova delay?

7. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

the one catch with the boss as i understand, that if you use presets, its best to get an external tap tempo switch for the DD20.

The flashback (single pedal format) uses strum tempo vs tap tempo, but the x4 has a tap switch.

As far as pedals with tap and good subdivision controls heres a good list, but in no way complete.

Diamond Memory Lane 2/Jr.
    Ehx Deluxe Memory Boy/Man Tap tempo (550 and 1100)
    Strymon El Capistan, Brigadier, Timeline, Deco (in limited form, plus external tap switch)
    Empress (but you knew that)
    Line 6 EchoPark, M5/9/13
    Boss DD 5 (external switch)/6/7/20
    JHS Panther/Cub
    Visual Sound Tap/Dual Tap
    TC Nova Delay/Repeater, flashback x4/Triple delay, Alter Ego x4
    Eventide Timefactor, H9

and thats about all the good ones that I can think of right now, but definately a lot more.

8. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I've only tried the Nova Repeater. I didn't need presets so I went with the NR instead of the ND.

9. ufo~

ufo~ Member

Digitech TimeBender does this very well, iirc.

10. starplustars

starplustars Member

TimeBender would be an answer.

11. flatulentmatt

flatulentmatt Supporting Member

I've owned the Nova Delay, x4 and Triple Delay by TC. I believe that the sound on the Repeater compared to the Nova Delay is pretty much identical. I prefer the preset set up and delay sounds of the x4/Triple Delay over the ND though, the repeats seem to sit in a nicer place in the mix. I found with the Nova it was either way in your face or lost in the mix.