Delight of a tweed champ, only gig-able

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jackio, Jan 28, 2012.

1. jackio

jackio Member

Small gigs mind, no wembley here yet. I have an old tweed champ which sounds great. I don't know all the bias and positive or negative feedback stuff so can't immediately look for a similar tone. I need a carry out size. I have a SC XD but it has too many sounds in it. I like simple. Like me. Timmy, HotCake, Shredmaster, Fuzz, El Cap, CP101 to do what they do.
    Any suggestions?

2. Dale

Dale Member

3. jackio

jackio Member

So many people say vibrolux. I missed out on one, thought the guy was 'selling it to me'. There is a SF DR around for sale. Are they good? Is an SF the same as a 5e3?

4. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Vibrolux reverbs are fantastic gigging amps but nothin like a 5E3.Can't go wrong with a Deluxe reverb either.
    You like your champ but need a little more? Fenders Pro junior has a tweed vibe and is loud enough for Jeff Beck.

5. jackio

jackio Member

Dontyalovegoogle
    So 5e3 is a tweed deluxe. Perhaps that is just it. Is a pro junior different in a major way? There are tweed ones too by the looks of it. Victoria too

6. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

5e3 amps can be 12-22 watts. That's where I'd look first. Not a tweed but simple, small and giggable is what the Fuchs Lucky 7 is all about.

7. Onioner

Onioner Member

Champ into a line out box into,a poweramp. Win.

Or, two Champs.

8. jackio

jackio Member

I took my champ to a small gig. It was too low powered. Is the Fuchs you suggest (The Lucky 7®-II remains a single ended class-A output stage with an EL-34 as standard. The amp can be switched to 6V6 for 4 watts instead of the 7 watts of an EL-34.) going to be any different?
    Princeton?

9. jackio

jackio Member

Hey Onioner, I am so keen to try my champ into my 2x12. But also not wanting to change it from stock

10. Onioner

Onioner Member

You can do that easily enough by unplugging the speaker and plugging in a cab w/ the proper ohm load (I think it's 4 ohms), but you won't get more volume unless you reamp somehow. In any event, it's totally non invasive so long as the combo speaker isn't hardwired to the amp, and even if it is, it's a easily done, and fully reversible mod to rig it for an extension cab.

11. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

You could always put a tweedy pedal in front of a DRRI. A LP Les Lius or C-Bread FN5... manageable volume and tweed tones in a grab and go form factor.