Dell ST2220T + Touch-Base Drivers = KILLER DAW Control Surface?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by disfrontman, Feb 14, 2012.

1. disfrontman

disfrontman Member

Hey everyone,

I've posed this on other forums, but thought I'd also float this idea past the TGP crowd:

Has anyone tried using a Dell ST2220T touch screen monitor with Touch-Base drivers to create a full-featured/low cost DAW control surface?

If the Touch-Base driver/ST2220T combo works, then one could buy two of them and use them as a touch screen mixer in Logic. Even with the $220 price tag for the software and $300/ea for the monitors, that solution would be far superior to any DAW control surface (Euphonix, Mackie, Behringer, etc.):

• No stepper motor sounds inherent to motorized faders
    • Access to every mixer parameter directly--no assigning "v-pots" or faders
    • No wear and tear on faders and pots
    • Easily expandable to however many individual tracks you want (about 48 per ST2220T if you open two mixer windows per screen)
    • WAY, WAY cheaper.

I could see having two conventional monitors at eye level for plug-ins and the timeline window, etc., and two touch screens on the desk at a low angle as a 48+ channel touch screen mixer. Compare that in price to a Mackie MCU ($999) + 5 extenders ($699/ea = $4500 total). With more features, and completely silent operation.

Here's a clip of a guy who's done it.

Oh, and here's a guy using a cheaper touch screen w/Logic.

According to Touch-Base's site, they have multi-gesture pretty much worked out for Mac OS X SL/Lion. Also, for those using Windows 7, the OS itself will drive the Dell monitors without purchasing the Touch-Base drivers.

What do you think?

2. disfrontman

disfrontman Member

Hmm... over 100 views and not one comment?

When I saw the demonstration of the ST2220T online for the first time, my very first thought was that it might make DAW-based work more productive. When I found those YouTube links confirming that it could at least be done, I was surprised that more people hadn't tried it.

When I look at all of the control surface options for mixing big projects, anything decent is wildly expensive for what you get. Still, people buy them because they make work more productive, and in a studio time is money.

Assuming the hardware and software can be configured for reliable and responsive operation, I suppose the only other major drawback to the Touch-Base + ST2220T set up is you can only control one parameter at a time, like a mouse, whereas it is possible to move several faders at once with a dedicated piece of hardware like a Mackie MCU, Behringer BCF2000, Euphonix Artist, etc. I, for one, could live with that limitation (as I already do using a mouse) if the payoff were instant one-touch access to every mixer function on a 48+ channel onscreen mixer.

I have to assume that most people viewing this thread think this would be just a glitchy gimmick and not a real solution for expanded DAW control. Is that right?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  3. Tracy Evans

Tracy Evans Member

I am about to embark on adding a touch screen to my home studio. I am Mac based so it won't be easy.

4. Modulator

Modulator Member

Get an ipad and Lemur software. multitouch midi through OSC.

To me the whole point of a touch screen is so I can use as many finger tips as I want to control as many things at the same time.

Ipad/Lemur is cheaper than that touch screen, and more versatile for music.

5. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

I'm glad I checked this out, I have Lemur and Neyrinck on my iPAd and am super happy about them but having the ability to quickly manuevre around Logic in a full screen would be totally worth the effort. Hopefully this will be at AES.

Andy