Delta 12A Vs. Delta Pro 12A

twilt

I'm looking for a lighter weight alternative to the Delta Pro's.
I have 2 2x12's loaded with them and they are HEAVY!

I want to load a 4x12 with these but i dont want to deal with the weight.

I was thinking about the regular 12A's but I fear the tone will be too much of a departure from the 12A Pro's as they have different magnets and baskets.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to if the regular 12A's will get me in the same ballpark as the Pro 12A's?

Thanks,
~Troy~

freaksho

whoa, don't see those mentioned around here too often. i have no experience with Delta's outside of bass cabs, sorry. have you tried contacting Eminence? you might a quicker and more reliable response.

i assume you are familiar with the EVM12L, right? might be another good alternative for you.

twilt

whoa, don't see those mentioned around here too often. i have no experience with Delta's outside of bass cabs, sorry. have you tried contacting Eminence? you might a quicker and more reliable response.

i assume you are familiar with the EVM12L, right? might be another good alternative for you.

yep, i'm familiar with them. I like the "darker" tone I get from the Delta Pro's. EV's have a certain high end sparkle that I do not like. Not to mention, I think the EV's are even heavier than the DP's, which is definitely not what I'm after.

I'm just looking to get that same "darkness" in a lighter, less expensive speaker. And wondering if the (non-pro) 12A's can deliver.

aflynt

Looking at the frequency plots, I doubt that they sound the same.

Lower SPL line is Delta 12a. Higher SPL line is Delta Pro 12a. Delta 12a looks quieter and spikier in the upper harmonics.

I'm a huge fan of the Pro 12a, btw.

-Aaron

Last edited:

aflynt

I know these aren't the whole 'picture,' but for the sake of comparison:

Higher SPL line is the Deltalite. Lower SPL is the Delta Pro 12a.

-Aaron

Last edited:

amphog

Those curves are perfect for the intended use of these speakers, crossing over to a horn between 1.5 and 2.2 kHz.

twilt

lol. looks like im gonn have one heavy mother of a cab :(

Thanks for all your input guys.

~Troy~

twilt

Update.....

to make sure I wasnt wasting any money, i removed the Delta Pros I had in my 2x12's and put them in my 4x12.

First I tried just 2....sounded harsh.
Then I tried all 4....WAAAY too harsh.

Just not the right size of cab for those things. so i will just stick with the DP's in my 2x12's and rock on ;)

~Troy~

aflynt

Yeah. The cab itself has a huge effect. Wonder if a quad of G12-65s might be a better fit with the 4x12" for you.

-Aaron

wildschwein

I had the regular 12A in a Peavey amp for a while. You need a lot of watts to get that speaker fully moving but it's a nice unit. I've also used the LFA which is a bass driver and that's actually okay for guitar too. Never tried the Pro but it looks a lot like an EVM 12 but it seems on the frequency response graph to have less top end -- rolls off around 5k, whereas EVs roll off around 8K from memory.

aflynt

Keeping with my theme:

Delta Pro 12a is the black line. G12-65 is the red line.

-Aaron

Trending Topics