Deltalite ii 2512s + Custom 2x12 Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MojoTone82, Feb 24, 2015.

1. MojoTone82

MojoTone82 Member

After being underwhelmed with the Deltalite in a standard 1x12, I decided to build something more suited for the Delta's...

I knew for this project I wanted to build a type of Thiele cabinet, but I wanted to take it a step further in terms of both looks and sound quality, So I began sketching some ideas... My initial inspiration I drew from some of my all time favorite cabs i.e. The old Vertical Mesa "Metal Grill" 2x12s, the basic thiele cab, and a PC 2x12 OS... What I came up with was a 2x12 cabinet to make use of the best characteristics each of these cabs combined. I took this design, and built the size/dimensions to match what is best suited for the drivers parameters, as well as a consideration for my style of music :) Since I play a wide variety of styles... Clean blues to Heavy Overdriven Metal, the cabinet needed to go outside the standard realm of frequency response expected of most 2 or 4x12s not to mention the fact that I play a variety of low tunings also :)

The initial build was done rather quickly with second hand wood and screws etc... I wasn't sure what to expect so It was built with a the possibility of being scrapped to begin again... However, that quickly changed once myself and a few buddies had an opportunity to sound test, and we were blown away... It was more than what I had been looking for... deep, full, big, punchy and LOUD. My buddy who will only play 100lb+ 4x12 rectifier cabs for years couldn't believe his ears, and almost immediately asked if I'd build him one haha... Unfortunately for him, he'll have to wait until I finish building a proper "dovetailed" version for myself. The combination of the Deltalite and cab are really a great combo, and I can't say enough good about the Deltalite's, especially in the correct cabinet.

One thing about the Deltalite's is they are flatter than a lot of "guitar" drivers on the market, so they don't have the same slightly boosted Mid snarl that something like a V30 has. To me this is a benefit, especially in the right application, but some who might love that "Mid centric" V30 sound may feel like they are missing a little something.

The Deltalite may not be for everyone however... If you play at lower volumes and enjoy the sound of early cone breakup the vintage is great. If your like me and want only the sound of your guitar and signal chain to shine through ultra clear, and at chest thumping volumes take a look at the Deltalites!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OH... I forgot to mention the BEST part... the cabinet LOADED as a whole weights in somewhere just over 50lbs!! Ill weight it again once I finish installing the handle and cover it!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. slybird

slybird Member

At some point I would like to hear a sound sample.

What is the internal volume? Are you using the Eminence recommendations?

3. MojoTone82

MojoTone82 Member

Eminence does offer several recommendations on cabinet sizes for various applications, So yes I did use the thiele & small parameters from Eminence as the basis for the volumes and port sizing.

I don't have the schematics page in front of me but Net Vb is aprox 1.95ft3 on the port side and roughly 1.75ft3 on the sealed side

I belt sanded the end of a playing finger off the other day :jo so it may take just a bit longer! but i will get some sound clips up...

4. slybird

slybird Member

Thanks, I'm in no hurry. I've been thinking of pulling a trigger on a Deltalite for about a year. Currently I'm happy with my Delta Pros, but when we gig often the 22 extra pounds is a bit of a pain, especially after the show is done. My current cabs are 1.75ft3. Backs are easy to make ported.

EDIT: Careful with the sander.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  5. MojoTone82

MojoTone82 Member

Yes the weight difference between those two is pretty significant. Thats an extra 45lbs per 4x12!

Im somewhat partial to open back and ported cabs when it comes to driver with a qts under .5, but certainly the deltalite's can sound great in sealed as well...

6. MojoTone82

MojoTone82 Member

Whats your preferred style of music?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  7. MojoTone82

MojoTone82 Member

Cabs finished! Very happy with the choice of tolex. Indoors Is a dark gunmetal grey color, outdoors a faint purple haze can been seen, Hence the name :aok

More details to come on sound response from both independent sections of the cab, as well as the DeltaLites and overall response. Early measurements taken from the bass reflex design indicate between a +3 to +5 db increase in low end response starting around 100Hz up thru 240hz or so, additional is an increase in overall "flat" response across the spectrum... its really more of a buttery smooth transient response compared to the somewhat lifeless response that sealed cabs produce. This is not to be mistaken for "loose" or flabby lows and low mids as the deltas provide enough "Q" to stay tight and punchy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  8. slybird

slybird Member

Very nice job on the covering, looks great. Be careful with the power tools.