Deluxe and Delux reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kmcmichael, Jul 24, 2008.

1. kmcmichael

kmcmichael Member

A question for you individuals that are slightly philisophical........or those of you with plenty of time on your hands.

I see thousands of copies of 5e3 amps yet hardly any copies of the Deluxe Reverb. The copies that I see are almost as expensive as the real thing.

I realize that the Deluxe Reverb is a more complicated circuit but why is it that people like ceiretone(sp) do not make a Deluxe Reverb circuit.

I have tried the reissue and that ain't it.

2. sqadan

sqadan Member

I have a DRRI and I'd say it's pretty darn close to the real thing with a couple of mods... In particular a better speaker and the bright cap removed from the circuit...

Not sure why there are no mid priced Deluxe clones though... It seems like the boutique clone market is dominated by very early Marshall / and Tweed Fender clones. Ceriatone does more black/brownface stuff... but you're right - no Deluxe Reverb clone.

I think the Allen Accomplice is sort of a suped up DR if I'm not mistaken though... That's a pretty affordable amp.

As to why there are not more Deluxe Reverb clones in general? I'm guessing demand is not that high - I honestly don't see that mank blackface players these days... everybody seems to be in the JTM45 / Bluesbreaker / Tweed camp these days... I think the tighter, squeaky clean sound of blackface amps is not everyone's cup of tea I guess.

3. riker4208

riker4208 Member

because you can find reissues used for 500-700......pretty cheap

4. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

headstrong makes a DR clone
    Stu-Daddy amps of Warren, MI will make one

5. mbratch

mbratch Member

I think 5e3 clones are more plentiful because (a) they are very popular (not necessarily more than a BFDR, but certainly very) and (b) it's a simple circuit and therefore simple amp to make. Simple enough to where there isn't as much payback doing it as a PCB.

6. frank4001

frank4001 Member

Thats not how mine sound...

7. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

I think there are 3 main reasons for the popularity of Tweed and 18 Watt kits:

1) The Tweed Deluxe circuit is simple and relatively easy to build.

2) Until recently, there were no reissues of the Tweed Deluxe, the only way to get one was to buy an original (expensive) or get an aftermarket reproduction. On the other hand, there have been Deluxe Reverb Reissues since the mid 90's, and before then real Black and Silverface DR's were affordable.

3) The smaller amp trend brought more demand for Tweed Deluxe or 18 Watt style amps.

I don't think the Blackface Fender tone is unpopular at all.

Isn't the Fargen Blackbird a Deluxe Reverb type of circuit?

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The 5E3 is much simpler to build and there are numerous kits. A lot of "builders" are putting together commercially available kits.

I don't recall any DR kits but that may have changed.

As mentioned earlier, there are a lot more SFDRs around than there are original 5E3s.

9. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I think it has to do with the price of the parts to build them. If you add everything up, that puts you in sf or bf (with some issues) range. I think you will see tons of people making them when the sf amps are above 2k.
    Also to this guy:
    I'm guessing demand is not that high - I honestly don't see that mank blackface players these days... everybody seems to be in the JTM45 / Bluesbreaker / Tweed camp these days... I think the tighter, squeaky clean sound of blackface amps is not everyone's cup of tea I guess.

Crank those little badboys up and I think you will be mighty impressed~!

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Minor point here, since most musical gear is bought to play at home, but on stage, I see a ton of Deluxe Reverbs ranging from silverface to reissues to original blackface.

I've played through both tweed Deluxes and Deluxe Reverbs on stage, and the tweed Deluxes just don't cut it with a drummer for me unless they are mic'd - not enough headroom and limited bass response. With recording, OTOH, the tweed Deluxe is a little monster.