1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Deluxe Electric Mistress and other flangers?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GlobalCooling, May 20, 2011.

1. GlobalCooling

GlobalCooling Member

Is the DEM highly revered? I just realized that they are only $150. Are these newer versions worse or something? Why are people going with the Hartman over these?

Also, in general, what flangers do the leslie sound best? Do you think choruses do that pedal since they're less "metallic"? Thanks.

2. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Other than a dedicated Leslie sim like the Roto-Choir or Lex, my Hartman does a super tasty Leslie.

3. sbr

sbr Member

The Hartman Flanger is a clone of the vintage green-face Electric Mistress (the best).

If it's a toss up between the two, I'd take the Hartman. There is nothing wrong with the DEM as such, just the Hartman is better. Kind of like the difference between a Boss BF-2 and a BF-3.

4. rowla

rowla Supporting Member

DigiTED, I have a Hartman but have only gone for flanger tones. What settings do you use for a leslie sound?

5. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

they are both fine flangers.
    The hartman is a clonr of the best one but is expencive.
    the Deluxe Electric Mistress on the other hand can be ebayed/emopiumed in for very little.
    Neither are really metalic in sound, even with the "colour" knob kranked(its considered one of the main reasons for having one) they are more fluid if you catch my drift.

6. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

The Hartman is an improvement over the original EH design. It has true-bypass, runs off 9VDC, and doesn't have a volume drop when engaged. :)

7. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I love my Mistress....

more on that later

8. Gretsch47

Gretsch47 Member

Hartman: Try it at 12v. adds a bit more headroom.

Analogman sells 12v. Boss type adapters.

9. 100JH

100JH Member

Love my Mistress, esp. after I sent her to Howard. She's big though!

10. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I think the Deluxe Electric Mistress is excellent. It's sound is warm, syrupy, and very fluid. I would not consider it metallic at all. I prefer it to most dedicated chorus pedals for a chorus effect. It can be used as a Leslie effect as well.

Mine is an older version- silver chassis with black motif, hard-wired AC power cord, and chickenhead knobs. It has a slight volume drop but I use this flaw to my advantage. The Hartman version has the volume drop corrected.

11. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Agreed. This helps if you like to feed it higher gain, which of course can be very tasty!

I would add that you may get hum if you run your 12V unregulated, i.e. from ports 5-6 on a PP2+. 12V from any of the other ports is silent, as I'd image a quality 12V C- AC adapter would be as mentioned above.

Anyone A/Bd the Hartman with a current production DEM? I know the Hartman is a hot-rod clone of the original, not deluxe EM; I'm just curious.

12. Howard Davis

Howard Davis Member

No flanger alone can do a really convincing Leslie emulation. The rotating speaker effect is a combination of phase modulation, frequency response modulation, Doppler effect, and amplitude modulation, and it really requires a stereophonic field for reproduction. Added to all these complex modulations are the echoes from the acoustic surroundings. I'm doing some research on this now, and who knows what I'll come up with - ?

Guitar pedal design engineering, repairs, and custom mods:
    http://howardmickdavis.com

13. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Hey Rowla.

I just turn the depth and color controls all the way down, and speed up to between 4:00-5:00. Add a little color for taste, but I usually leave depth at zero.

As Howard said, it's not like a Leslie sim, but it gets that swirling/whirling texture, with and without dirt is a really fun way. Try it out!

14. Dashface

Dashface Member

Amen to that. I've never been happier than when I got my DEM (now just an EM, I guess) back from Howard. What a wonderful piece of kit!

15. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I have been thinking about the same thing... people seem to be biased against the DEM (relative to the original), but the price is right! The Hartman is pretty price. The real downside is that they both take up precious real estate, which makes it impractical for me right now. I have a TC Electronic Chorus/Flange/PM, I usually use the chorus spread stereo (almost no audible modulation, but still creates a stereo image on my amps). I started playing with the Flange recently because of a recent Gilmour thread and found that the subtle Flange was warm, but I haven't liked the more intense Flange (gets metallic). The big problem is I am kind of a set and forget guy, and the Flanger settings I like are completely different than chorus ones, so I can't just flip the toggle between songs. I was also thinking about getting a Phase 90, warm and simple and that seems to be the back up to an original mistress for most people's Gilmour boards.

These are my (verbose) thoughts, I am interested in ideas as well!

PS - Stereo is clutch IMO, my 2nd amp is in shop so I can't wait to try my TC Flange in stereo, especially since everyone seems to have a leslie idea in the back of their mind. Hard to find good stereo mod pedals sometimes...

16. t***9

t***9 Silver Supporting Member

What did you have Howard do exactly? I have a green face DEM that's in good working shape and has only a small volume drop that I've been thinking of sending to him.

17. Screamin Willie

Screamin Willie Member

18. 100JH

100JH Member

I had the input impedance increase, bypass/effect volume equalization, deluxe to vintage mod, the noise reduction mod and the effect-on LED mod done.

Send him and email. He is quick to respond, quick to mod, quick to return. Does great work. He will make recommendations after he looks it over. Very happy and highly recommended. I prefer the DEM over the Hartman.

19. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

I agree that after all these mods the EH DEM is slightly superior sounding to the Hartman which might sound a bit more metallic and more transparent. However what you play and how you play it will have more impact on the sound, so the Hartman does it for me !

20. 100JH

100JH Member

:stir