Deluxe Mem Man and overload

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrisr0712, Nov 19, 2005.

1. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

Does the DMM overload too easily with overdrives and boosts before it? I'm not using high gain, just slight to medium gain. I'm thinking of trading in my echopark for one.

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hi,

I'd say pretty easily. My DMM has the overload LED pretty much on all the time when I use my TBIAC with the voume set to about 11 o'clock. I don't hear any real distortion on the delay repeats before I turn the volume alot higher though. Nice pedal!

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

There's a mod from Howard Davis, former EHX designer, that significantly increases headroom on the input side of the DMM.

Go here for more:

http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

4. Pappy

Pappy Member

While the Deluxe Memory Man is my favorite analog delay, it has a serious problem with overloading IMHO. It got to a point where I had to stop using it for live shows because it was driving me crazy. I ended up replacing it in my live rig with a Boss DD-20 which gets *very* close to the DMM sound without the overload problems (and I'm very picky). I still use the DMM for recording, though.

The other guitarist in my band tried one of those mods and it did not work well for him. YMMV.

5. eknapier

eknapier Member

I've had my Memory Man modded by Howard Davis for higher input impedance and hot pick up mods. While it certainly increases headroom to the pedal - there still seems to be a threshold point where it will overload - if using too much volume boost before the delay.

Does anyone know if this a problem with analog delays in general or if it is specific to the memory man? I'd heard that Keeley was designing a delay that, the more you boost it, the fatter it sounds. That would be incredible, very different than the DMM. But it is such a great sounding delay, and I also had the leslie mod done to it, so the modulation is much more versatile, two distinct modes of modulation plus an added speed control. I've gotten by this pedal, and it sounds killer, but I guess I sometimes wonder if there's something better out there - specifically - something that can take hotter signals. Maybe I should just get a digi delay as a substitute, cause I know Digital delays are supposed to have much more headroom.

Any thoughts anyone?

6. drolling

drolling Member

I've heard that recent issue MMs are true-bypass & wall-wart powered, but mine's from the very first batch of RIs.

Like so many EH products, the Deluxe MemoryMan's a wacky effect, w/many characteristics that are not common to most analog delays.

I will agree about overloading. The weakest pickups can cause it to distort like crazy, and with the feedback turned up, it will start to clip at very low input volumes.

Even bypassed, the signal's processed by some kind of internal preamp, so it's almost impossible to determine unity gain and the guitar's tone is always heavily colored.

It's noisy, too. Mine has a chip that's supposedly performs better than the two that they're using now, but it still makes a heckuva racket at extreme (550ms) settings.

As you can imagine, it's worse when you put an OD/fuzz in front of it. It's probably not the best choice for anyone accustomed to digital delay, but I love the thing. It self-oscillates like nothing else I've heard, and the *chorus/vibrato* mode is just plain sick.

A cool pedal, but if you want something w/similar features but less noise & more headroom, I'd take a look at the Diamond Memory Lane.

7. tfire

tfire Member

Pappy: what settings do you use on the DD-20 to get the DMM sound?

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Great thread.

eknapier: living in a parallel universe - I've got a DMM with headroom issues and I already own a DigiDelay as an alternative to the DMM. I think the DigiDelay is good, especially for the money, but my delay quest is not over yet!

So, is the headroom mod worth it or not?? I am on the cusp of sending my DMM to Howard Davis.

9. Pappy

Pappy Member

I use the modulate setting which I believe is supposed to emulate a DMM. You have to change the rate & depth, though, because the stock setting sounds a bit weird to me. This is easy to do, though, via the manual. I have a/b'd the DD-20 with my DMM many times and find that it sounds *very* close. The DMM has a little more mojo, though, and a bit more murkiness in the repeats. The DD-20 has more headroom and less noise, though, so it's a fair tradeoff (plus, it has 4 presets, a manual mode, and many other cool sounds).

In the past, I tried out the LIne 6 version of the DD-20 and found the DMM setting to sound NOTHING like a DMM. Mostly, the modulation sounds all wrong IMO.

As I mentioned, I still love the sound of my DMM so I use it for recordings. Mine is from the very first batch of re-issues with a hard-wired power cord. I tried one of the newer re-issues and found it to sound significantly different than mine. While I can't remember what those differences were, they were enough to make me sell it immediately.

10. basscracker

basscracker Guest

11. tfire

tfire Member

Thanks for replying, but could you please be a bit more specific? Where exactly are the DD20's knobs when you think, "that's close"?

12. eknapier

eknapier Member

So, is the headroom mod worth it or not??

Oh yea, it definately helped out tremendously, I have to really push the pedal hard to get the clipping that before was hard not to get in any situation.

13. Pappy

Pappy Member

Actually, every setting using the "modulate" model sounds like the DMM. I personally use 390 milliseconds for most things and set the echo level and feedback to taste. All that I needed to do is to reduce the speed and intensity of the modulation a bit. The general tone of this model is very similar to the DMM no matter how you set it.

14. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

eknapier:
    Thanks man. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Did you also swap out the opamp at the input stage (TL072?).

15. eknapier

eknapier Member

No, i didn't switch opamps, i'm not sure howard davis does a mod for that - I did his leslie mod though, much more flexible modulation circuit. I'm not sure I'd want to switch opamps based on the description above:

"much clearer and closer to a digital delay sort of tone"

I wouldn't want the DMM to have a more digital tone, I like it dark and down...

16. tfire

tfire Member

OK, go it, thanks for the info.

17. Pappy

Pappy Member

Actually, I just remembered that I turn the tone of the echoes down quite a bit - around 9:00. The main difference between the DD-20 & the DMM is that the echoes have a bit more clarity on the DD-20. The tone control really helps to reduce this clarity if so desired.