• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Deluxe Memory Boy vs Deluxe Memory Man 550TT??

proXy124c41

Hi all,

I am parting ways with my Empress Tape Delay, as it just doesn't do it for me. Too Mechanical, cold, complicated.

I need an analog delay with tap tempo, and after ruling out the new Walrus Bellwether because of the crazy price and chorus engine I am not a fan of, I have my eyes on either one of these EHX pedals.

I am going by just the shnobel review (), and the MM seems brighter/clearer than the MB, which is darker? But the MB is almost half the price so....any opinions on which is best for one's buck?

I am in a funk rock band and need bright repeats, but does the brighter (?) MM really justify the price?

Thanks!

proXy124c41

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'll be getting it second hand on reverb, so it'll be less than the bellwether (at least the ones I've seen so far)

Mickey_C

1.428571428571429e-10 of humanity
Double Platinum Member
The MB uses 1/2 the voltage of the MM. The MM has twice the signal headroom.

It's not much of a choice at all.

(If that's not crystal clear --- The MM wins no contest on sound, it does what no other unit can do. The MB is just more cost effective).

bratch

I've been a huge proponent of the deluxe memory boy. Yes, it is darker, but you can't forget about the "hidden" HPF which buys you brighter-sounding repeats than the internet would lead you to believe. If the dmm 550 is anything like the older dmm, it should still be punchier than the DMB. But then, a decent digital can be punchier than either, especially for funk!

Gibs210

Nothing wrong with a dmb, great pedal for the price, yea it's darker, but it's not anemic as you suggest the super delay to be, it's been on my board for a long time, adds a Lot for ambient use, especially because I the darker repeats, adds to your sound with out taking over. But still useful for rhythmic edge like tones. Price alone makes it a great value. The modulation is a little tricky to use, but it sounds that your not into that anyways.

Black_Label

I don't think there's much of a comparison. I kind of hate the DMB - every time I've played one, it's just frustrated me that I can't get a good sound out of it. The DMM, on the other hand, is fantastic. It doesn't get the chatter around here that its big brother does, but it's a top-shelf delay in its own right. If the 1100 didn't exist, people would be talking about how the 550tt is the best delay ever made.

Trending Topics