Deluxe Memory Boy vs Deluxe Memory Man 550TT??

proXy124c41

Hi all,

I am parting ways with my Empress Tape Delay, as it just doesn't do it for me. Too Mechanical, cold, complicated.

I need an analog delay with tap tempo, and after ruling out the new Walrus Bellwether because of the crazy price and chorus engine I am not a fan of, I have my eyes on either one of these EHX pedals.

I am going by just the shnobel review (), and the MM seems brighter/clearer than the MB, which is darker? But the MB is almost half the price so....any opinions on which is best for one's buck?

I am in a funk rock band and need bright repeats, but does the brighter (?) MM really justify the price?

Thanks!

proXy124c41

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'll be getting it second hand on reverb, so it'll be less than the bellwether (at least the ones I've seen so far)

Mickey_C

1.428571428571429e-10 of humanity
The MB uses 1/2 the voltage of the MM. The MM has twice the signal headroom.

It's not much of a choice at all.

(If that's not crystal clear --- The MM wins no contest on sound, it does what no other unit can do. The MB is just more cost effective).

bratch

I've been a huge proponent of the deluxe memory boy. Yes, it is darker, but you can't forget about the "hidden" HPF which buys you brighter-sounding repeats than the internet would lead you to believe. If the dmm 550 is anything like the older dmm, it should still be punchier than the DMB. But then, a decent digital can be punchier than either, especially for funk!

Gibs210

Nothing wrong with a dmb, great pedal for the price, yea it's darker, but it's not anemic as you suggest the super delay to be, it's been on my board for a long time, adds a Lot for ambient use, especially because I the darker repeats, adds to your sound with out taking over. But still useful for rhythmic edge like tones. Price alone makes it a great value. The modulation is a little tricky to use, but it sounds that your not into that anyways.

Black_Label

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think there's much of a comparison. I kind of hate the DMB - every time I've played one, it's just frustrated me that I can't get a good sound out of it. The DMM, on the other hand, is fantastic. It doesn't get the chatter around here that its big brother does, but it's a top-shelf delay in its own right. If the 1100 didn't exist, people would be talking about how the 550tt is the best delay ever made.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom