Deluxe Memory Man 550TT vs Deluxe Memory Man XO

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kdpayton, Apr 8, 2015.

1. kdpayton

kdpayton Supporting Member

I have narrowed my new delay pedal down to these. Besides the obvious Tap Tempo, what are the differences in these pedals? I know at some point, there were changes in the chips. Which of these came first? Does one sound that much better? Are they that different? I've been doing a lot of research and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Anyone have experience with both these pedals? Also, it will be replacing my Deluxe Memory Boy...would I notice a big difference? Thanks in advance.

2. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

they use the same chips and have the same audio signal path. 550TT runs on 9V power, and the XO runs on 24V. Also the XO has the classic "chorus/vibe" switch so you only get two rates of modulation. on the TT you have a full rate control

3. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

the TT is more flexible and has cleaner repeats, the XO has repeats that degrade a little quicker. both are great and down to personal taste.

4. kdpayton

Thanks guys! I'm really up in the air about it because I've never had a delay without tap tempo. Not sure how much I would miss it if I got the XO. Is there an advantage to the 24v? And can the 24v run on a Pedal Power?

5. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

There is no advantage to the 24v. The TT converts the power internally so the circuit is using the same voltage throughout

Javiceres likes this.
  6. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Get the 550tt. The chips are the same. The audio path is the same but the 550tt has a digital controller for tap tempo. 24v is a pain in the butt. The 24v can run off a Pedal Power 2+ with a doubler cable. The DMM circuit internally reduces the voltage to something like 17v. The 550tt runs off of 9v, only requiring a standard cable, and internally changes the voltage up to 17v. They sound the same to the extent that any two DMMs sound the same.

The 550tt has expression control, more modulation options, sub divisions and an effects loop. But it's in that horrific green case. So there's that.

7. kdpayton

Thanks everyone!

8. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

So is the famous preamp present on the 550T too?

9. Unadan

Unadan Member

XO all the way!!!

(not).

10. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

I tried an 550TT tonight an it sounds like the modulation is only vibrato, albeit with both rate and depth control. The problem is that the depth got too warbly too soon; like 8:00-9:00. How does the XO compare?

LordByron likes this.
  11. augur

augur Member

XO like old DMM has only 2 speed position.
    You cannot control speed, only 2 position but can still control depth.
    Didnt like modulation on original DMM1100TT.

12. Jisatsu

Jisatsu Member

Pick the one that looks the best to you, as we all know that is where the tone truly hides.