Deluxe Memory Man Tap Tempo

Strat_lover

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys,

I was hoping to get some current opinions on the TT-1100 Memory Man Deluxe.

I have an early 90's big box DMM (with the three prong cord) that I absolutely love. One of my favorite delay sounds ever... HOWEVER, it is big, non true bypass (not crucial as I'll be using a Boss ES-5), built on cord is a pain, and most importantly, no on-the-fly tempo control.

Now to what I'm really looking for. My DMM has repeats on the brighter side, which is what I love about it. Not a fan of the dark/murky analog delay sound.

I have a Boss ES-8 board with a DD-500 doing delay duties for sessions/more involved gigs, but this new delay will be for my grab and go board, and for my original music (where everything is idolized for the sounds I personally crave).

So, will the TT-1100 do it for me? Or is there something else current on the market I should be looking at? Price is somewhat of a deterrent, but I don't mind forking out a bit more dough for something definitely better.

Another aside, in case somebody happens to know, do Howard Davis and/or Analogman calibrate the TT models? I can't find anything on either of their sites regarding it.

Thanks guys!

I think it'll suit you just fine. I really like the pedal, I got it before the end of last year. Its brighter than I'm used to with analog. With the effects loop it takes it to another level for me, being able to pipe the delays through what ever I want means I can shape them however I feel like. The only thing that bugs me on the pedal is the sheer amount of modulation you can use. To me a lot of the range isn't useable. Other than that it's a winner in my book.

bulbasaur_85

I think it'll suit you just fine. I really like the pedal, I got it before the end of last year. Its brighter than I'm used to with analog. With the effects loop it takes it to another level for me, being able to pipe the delays through what ever I want means I can shape them however I feel like. The only thing that bugs me on the pedal is the sheer amount of modulation you can use. To me a lot of the range isn't useable. Other than that it's a winner in my book.

I have a big box DMM (wall wart, true bypass) and the 550-TT got close but I also experienced the same brighter tone with the newer version vs big box. It was close, but definitely more clarity on the repeats and wet signal. I like the murkiness of the big box and warmth of the wet signal. I'd say it's about 90% there if you're looking to cop the big box tone. Definitely closer than anything else out there!

Erswell

Analogmike is very contactable and always helpful and Howard Davies posts here a bit so worth firing an email.

FWIW I got a TT1100 off the Bay that was out of wack and sent it to EHX. Nil issues with communication and came back sounding fantastic. Plenty of options :)

Repeats on mine are slightly brighter than big box as most people report but can be dialed in extremely close.

Strat_lover

Silver Supporting Member
Definitely closer than anything else out there!

That's I guess what I'm wanting to know. Thanks for input guys! I'm going to ouch a few things on Reverb and get one when I have the cash. I'll update with a NPD when I get it!

Thanks again for all the input!

Ugly Bunny

FYI, you'd probably be just fine with a 550TT if you're just moving up from a big box 90's DMM. I made a similar move. Couldn't be happier. The 550 is the same maximum delay time you're already used to and it'll be significantly easier and cheaper to find one with the original MN3005 chips rather then saving up a small fortune for the 1100 with the MN3005s or gamble on a re-issue with the Xvive chips.

Just my obviously biased $.02.

Also, I've found the 550 does a really neat ring mod thing when you use the tap tempo to hyper-extend the delay longer than the knob allows :)

Strat_lover

Silver Supporting Member
Back again!

I bit the bullet and got a new one. I work for a retailer with a very generous employee discount, so I didn't mind gambling on the XVIVE chip version. And boy, was I not let down.

I hadn't played my 90's big box for a bit, but as soon as I hit the first chord on the 1100 it gave me the exact feeling my big box did. All smiles, not a single complaint at all in the tone department. If I did a back to back, side by side, I'm sure I could find something to gripe about... But the modern usability is well worth any minute tone compromise (if there even is any). I'm excited to get a couple Dunlop mini volume x's the utilize the expression out and the effects loop!

I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. I've tried the Memory Lane, El Capistan, Supa Puss, etc. etc. trying to dethrone the big box, and the whole time it was right under my nose.

Thanks again guys for the reassurance, and the DMM is already listed on Reverb. As much as I loved the sound of it... Good riddance!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom