• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Deluxe Memory Man vs Carbon Copy: my observations

ben_allison

Finally got to compare these two. Interesting experience.

I was surprised at how well the CC fared against the DMM, truly. Here are my obvservations:

- The CC has several very practical advantages over the DMM: less noise, 1/4 the size, longer delay time, no "overloading" issues

- I found the CC to be very transparent. My straight tone was, by all reckoning, entirely preserved. The DMM definitely makes it's mark on your tone. Pro or con, depending on your needs (these are tools; I don't mind being held hostage by a pedal if the net effect is musical).

- The modulation on the DMM is, of course, hard to beat; but on a CC v2, you can get quite a bit of rather lovely and lush modulation; it's not the same as the DMM, but it's great in its own right (no "crazy" sounds, but for me, that's irrelevant; wacky vibrato craziness annoys me). The difference in modulation between the DMM and CC, I liken to the difference between a CE-1 and a CE-2, respectively.

- The CC's repeats seemed to be more more pristine/clear – more "present" and defined; the DMM's repeats "swirled around" the direct tone, having more warmth. If I could use an analogy, the CC's repeats are like vinyl, and the DMM's are like a super vibey cassette tape... there's just this movement to the DMM's repeats that are quite lovely.

- While I found the CC's repeats to be more clear and distinct, they also seemed to fade away. The DMM's repeats seemed to be move enveloping. I think this is a combination of two factors: one being the DMM mucks with your straight tone, making everything into a more cohesive whole, and two, the "taper" of the feedback volume (the CC's repeats getting quieter at a quicker rate than the DMM's).

All in all, I'd actually go with the Carbon Copy... I was pretty surprised actually. It's a beautiful sounding delay with very musical qualities. Practical issues considered, it's a no brainer. I understand that having a DMM is essential for some people because THAT'S the tone they're after, but both have their place.

Considering you can (with reasonable ease) mod an effects loop into the Carbon Copy, possible modulation options are endless.

I previously had and sold a CC, and I might just get another. If only it had tap tempo! I'm hoping the new Malekko or Seymour Duncan pedals will have at least the musical qualities of the CC; if so, they'll be winners.

Last edited:

Panacea

Very good post. I have a DMM and a CC as well. I really love them both, and yes they are somewhat close in sounds.

guitarist58

Thank you for the thorough review! I really like the small size of the Carbon Copy, and it's good to have more input on how well it fares in delay-land. :)

gatordoc

- The CC has several very practical advantages over the DMM: less noise, 1/4 the size, longer delay time, no "overloading" issues

Not to mention price. Can't think of anything much more practical than that!:D
I'm still amazed that Dunlop/MXR priced these pedals so low. The sound quality is excellent, the mod button is a nice option, all analog, true bypass, and they look great. Couldn't ask for a better combination.

ben_allison

Yeah! Price!!!

And the CC is probably the most attractive pedal out there. That green sparkle finish is just top notch.

missing_dave

thanks for the great review..and ah yes tap tempo would be great! wish there was a small footprint,simple delay, with a separate tap button..

thetangmang

TGP has, aparently, had a lot of bad experiences with the CC lately. Good to hear someone enjoying theirs still!

Drifting

Thanks for the review, I'm in the market for my first delay. I was looking at the CC, but was just worried if it would alter my tone, which you answered.

That price is tough to beat.

ben_allison

TGP has, aparently, had a lot of bad experiences with the CC lately. Good to hear someone enjoying theirs still!
Yeah! I noticed a high pitched whine (at around 17khz) on the one I had... not sure if it was a power supply issue or what. Apparently there's another trim pot inside to set bias for the chips? I dunno.

Thanks for the review, I'm in the market for my first delay. I was looking at the CC, but was just worried if it would alter my tone, which you answered.

That price is tough to beat.
With the mix turned to 100% dry, I think you'd be hard pressed to tell if it's on or off!

jdolll

i use an empress superdelay and a tc nova delay on my board. i didn't find that the dmm had very many useful features outside of its straightforward delays. like not much in the ways of mode switching or note length changes. the sound quality was great but not having anything outside a standard rate nob really limits it for me. its negatives outweighed its positives for me. carbon copy is a great sounding pedal. small footprint. cheap. if it had a tap tempo it would be on my board.

ben_allison

i use an empress superdelay and a tc nova delay on my board. i didn't find that the dmm had very many useful features outside of its straightforward delays. like not much in the ways of mode switching or note length changes. the sound quality was great but not having anything outside a standard rate nob really limits it for me. its negatives outweighed its positives for me. carbon copy is a great sounding pedal. small footprint. cheap. if it had a tap tempo it would be on my board.
Hey! Your first post! Thanks for starting it of in this thread!

So, in your experience, can the Superdelay or Nova do what the CC does? I know the SD's tape mode is supposed to be great.

missing_dave

thanks for the great review..and ah yes tap tempo would be great! wish there was a small footprint,simple delay, with a separate tap button..
EchoPark, DD-5/6/7 all fit the bill!
yes good point..was thinking something just a hair more on the boutique side..even something like the CC (which by accounts) is better than the verbzilla and boss's.. that would add a button on the pedal for tap.also getting rid of the external tap switch,or IMO the "double duty" on/off-tap switch that i dont care for..

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I had one at the same time I had my AD999 and DMM. Nice for the $$, but it was actually a very easy decision to let the CC go, much prefer the other two for various reasons.

jdolll

Just Noticed somebody had asked a question in this thread. Both the Nova and the Superdelay can do what the carbon copy does with the exception of the modulation. The Carbon Copy's modulation is different than that of the Nova or the Superdelay, with that said i think the modulation on the superdelay or the Nova is equally as usable as the modulation on the carbon copy. With the Nova just dial the knob all the way to analog, on the superdelay just use the tape setting with the low pass switch on. a little late on the response but i just happened upon this thread again

soopajeanmi

Yeah! I noticed a high pitched whine (at around 17khz) on the one I had... not sure if it was a power supply issue or what. Apparently there's another trim pot inside to set bias for the chips? I dunno.
Good for you that you can hear frequencies at 17khz. Honestly I can't (well I'm 38...).

Dirty Tony

I own both CC and DMM but my experience is little different : I hear CC repeats a bit darker than DMM but still sound definition is very good, its the best delay if you want tone without delay = tone with delay, with DMM on (old version not XO which is a bit brighter to my ears) you get a little bit brightness in sound but nothing ruining tone or altering it, in the end when I was trying both I was prefering CC but playing definitely put me on DMM side : repeats are far away more "tape like" and I love how you can get an approach similar to "sound on sound" something CC cant do, I feel DMM more "organic" you hear every single repetition and your tone while CC with a dimed plexi (I dont use fx loop amps) tend to blend everything together a little bit, in the end they are both the best... Im still looking for an even more Sound On Sound delay.. Empress one was intriguing me but price and digital are a bit scary...

romo

Silver Supporting Member
EchoPark, DD-5/6/7 all fit the bill!
Yeah but those are digital. I have an Echo Park and a DMM. I like the size and versatility of the Echo Park; lots of different options and tap, but it cannot sound like a DMM. Some of the appeal (at least for me) of analog delays is that the repeats are NOT clear and have a musical quality that the digital stuff has a hard time replicating. I was actually thinking about replacing my Echo Park with a CC. I like having a second delay along with my DMM.

JosephSky

I had a CC.I found the repeats too dark. When I would play with a band the delayed notes couldn't be heard :( I currently now run soley a Eventide timefactor. Would love to pick up an analog delay again thou.

Trending Topics