Deluxe Memory Man vs. Memory Lane

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Jul 15, 2006.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

So i've owned the memory lane and absolutely loved it. But it was quite pricey. I like the way the DMM sounds but my main worry is that it will mush up with pedals before it, which are my main source of gain these days.

anything i should be worried about? or should i just buy the DMM?

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Well, I haven't played a Memory Lane (I'm sure it's great)... the DMM is, er, unique and has great modulation sounds, a lot of fun. It's got it's own crazy vibe. I think I like it before gain, but after modulation, but that's just me. Try one out, that's really the only way to get a good idea of whether it will work for you, since every rig is different. I think it might mush up with heavy gain before it, but some people feel the opposite. I might send it to Analogman or somebody at some point because it overloads very easily and you can hear the clipping when it reaches the overload point (so I could use more headroom I think), and I'm not talking about settings with much feedback or sound level added to the signal. A lot of fun in that pedal, though. It might not replace your Memory Lane, but I'm sure using both would be fun if you're up for that.

Edit: actually, I think gain pedals sound just fine/great in front of it now... even a boost is fine.

3. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I'd say get the DMM while they're well priced! They're truly great pedals. The memory lane honestly didn't do it for me. You can always buy the DMM and if you decide you don't need two delays, sell whichever you decide you don't like. Both will hold their value pretty well (Especially the DMM with the price increase).

4. Coach

Coach Senior Member

:BEER

Couldn't have said that better myself.

5. kidamerica17

kidamerica17 Member

Agree with both of the previous posts. I just "downgraded" to DMM and love itf!

6. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Yes, I'm planning on buying a DMM. I have played them, I don't have one though. I like it a lot better than the Memory Lane I had. It's a shame that I"ll probably have to buy it after this price increase takes it's impact.. oh well, it's still worth it.

7. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

That's because you're cool. :AOK

8. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

9. Coach

Coach Senior Member

Hey if that's the case, PM me here or on HC before you plan to buy. If I haven't already returned it (my spare of coarse :dude ) and need to sell it because I've got gas pains with gear or at the pump I'll sell it to you for cheap. Cheap as in what I paid for it ~ $200.

10. echo unit

echo unit Member

I keep buying and selling Deluxe memory man pedlas because I find that they all sound different and I haven't found one that is good yet.

They all have different aounts of maximum delay time and noise.

Doesn't anyone find that the memory man when set for longer echoes with repeats has this extremely annoying shhhhhhh hissing white noise sound that almost overpowers the sound of the actual echo?

Maybe I keep buying duds?

11. Coach

Coach Senior Member

12. echo unit

echo unit Member

Who is Howard Davis?

What does he do?

How do I get a hold of him?

Link?

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Check this thread.

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I'm really digging the Memory Lane. It's a delay to my taste!! I "upgraded" from the DMM and haven't missed it too much. Now I'm thinking of buying one to just keep at home for future generations, hah!

15. yannis

yannis Member

with respect to DMM, does it work well with overdrive/distortion from the amp or this is where the overload occurs?

16. Coach

Coach Senior Member

I ran my DMM infront on my overdriving amp and it sounded great. I was able to cop some Les Savy Fav delay tones pretty easily.

17. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

The DMM can overload even from humbucking pickups. The red overload light will be on all the time when boosting with a OD/distortion pedal though. Part of the sound I guess.

18. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

OK, I did some more testing while putting a smaller mono board together for a Pink Floyd Tribute band audition... At first I had the OD/Boosts after the DMM because I didn't think it could handle them... Actually THEY clipped really bad, so I switched it and made the boost/OD section last before the DMM going out to the amp and Voila! It sounds much better. I am having trouble having bends sound smooth with the echo, maybe I need to bring the blend down more (I know Gilmour used a lot of delay, but he didn't seem to have the problem I'm having with a bent note creating dissonance with the echo that hasn't gotten there yet... maybe I either need longer or shorter delay and to bring the blend control down some...)

Anybody got any DMM settings for "Dogs," "Money," or "Comfortably Numb"???? I know it's not what he used and I've been 'sperimenting, but I would be very interested to know what other people are setting it for to cop the Gilmour sounds...

19. entraind

entraind Member

20. racktifier

racktifier Member

*bump*

Fellow DMM users, help me justify keeping my DMM!!!

I'm about to get a ML to replace it. I don't use long delays so either delay is fine with me (both about 500ms). I love the modulation on my DMM but the lack of tap tempo is pushing me towards the ML.

I'm starting to get cold feet after reading the earlier posts. Seems that quite a number of you guys actually liked the DMM better!!! :eek:

I can't afford to keep both though being a poor student. I'll probably regret selling the DMM but tap tempo is really important to me. and i'm not keen on going digital either!