• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Deluxe Memory Man XO vs. Carbon Copy vs. Catalinbread Echorec

I've had a Carbon Copy for a couple months. I bought it after letting go of my beloved Maxon AD-999 due to it's size and side jacks, which makes it's size even more notable. And to be completely honest, I got sick of looking down at a giant pink pedal. But the repeats and the buffer it in were fabulous.

When I bought the Carbon Copy at Sam Ash I took the time and compared it to every delay they had in stock, and for me it was a clear winner. It's warm, consistent and is a full 600ms. The modulation in it doesn't do much for me, but I'm also not much of a modulation delay kind of guy, so not of concern to me personally.

Recently I got to obsessing about delay again and thought, aww screw it, I'm just gonna take the plunge and order a Deluxe Memory Man XO. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to gear so it doesn't take much to sell me on legacy.

I got the DMM today and compared it to the Carbon Copy and my Catalinbread Echorec.

Truth is the Echorec does some neat things, but I use delay two ways…Either really heavy to have fun and play vintage Edge, Gilmore or 80's type of stuff, or barely there just to smear solo's a bit. Either other pedal serves my needs more thoroughly. Not taking anything away from the Echorec. Some of the repeat rhythms are really cool. I just wish it was more authoritative in it's overall delivery. For me the Echorec's honeymoon is over and it's time to move on.

The DMM really excels at one thing (IMO): Doing that Edge/U2 thing. Blend up, delay cranked, level a tad pushed so the repeats distort just the right amount.

But here's what really hit me…The Carbon Copy has literally TWICE the delay time as the DMM. If I crank the delay on the DMM, I have to roll the Carbon Copy to just a sliver under 12 o'clock to equal the same delay time. This bummed me out because sometimes I like to crank up the delay and get weird. Online it states the DMM is 550ms while the Carbon Copy is 600ms. Either I have a long 600ms Carbon Copy, or I have an extremely short DMM. Whatever the case, they are not even close.

This bummed me out. For $320, I'd like the 550ms. And to top it off, I also felt like the Carbon Copy was a better short/tight delay than the DMM.

Long story short, the Carbon Copy is a great little delay. The DMM kind of left me wanting more out of it. Literally, in regards to the delay time. I wish I knew how to measure it. I would not be surprised to find out it's closer to 350ms rather than the advertised 550ms.

All things considered, and having been around the block and back…I think I'm going back to AD-999 land. That damn pink box that sounds so lovely, and has delay for days at 900ms.

EDIT: I tapped out the delays on my metronome and the DMM comes in at 148 BPM at the longest, while the Carbon Copy comes in at 100 BPM at the longest. Certainly not 550ms vs. 600ms. Roughly a 1/3 difference. Meaning if the Carbon Copy is in fact 600ms, then this DMM is coming in around 400ms, as opposed to the advertised 550ms. That's a wide discrepancy.

Last edited:

RockinRob

the short delay time has always been the achilles heal of the MM. However, i love the rockabilly slapback you can get on the MM.

Belmont

I'm a long time vintage DMM user, I think it's about 450ms.
the XO is 550-600 I believe.
I'm not a fan of the Carbon Copy, it just doesn't compare to a vintage DMM.
they don't need me, they get lotsa love.

baybruin

Silver Supporting Member
I run a DMMTT 1100 and a carbon copy on my main board... the DMMTT is tops, but the CC is fantastic for doing multiple utility-type things for me. Meanwhile... the Timeline collects dust and only gets home use!

baybruin

Silver Supporting Member
And might I say, the DMM XO is also a great pedal. What I like about it vs. the CC is the DMM's (any DMM, really) preamp. It warms everything up and has that extra little push other analog delays just won't have. Melds everything together for swells because of that too.

Nota

I have bought and sold the CC at least five times. I kept trying to hate it and thinking I needed a delay with more features. I keep coming back to it. I'll never sell this one :)

How to measure your delay time:

Record a very short note into your DAW.
Cut that note into an even smaller piece.
Use your zoom function in your DAW to get to the point where your timeline is reading in the milliseconds.
Then play that tiny piece of noise through your pedal back into your DAW. Hopefully you made that noise 1 ms in length, it'll make measuring easier.
First you record it with the pedal bypassed so you can note any latency in your interface.
Then turn the pedal on have the feedback at zero, blend about 50%. Shoot the little piece of noise through the delay pedal.
You should see two little blips in your DAW. Measure the distance between them. Most DAW have a time read out so simply take your start marker place it on the beginning of the second blip. Write down the time. Subtract your latency, and the length of your sound. what's left should be the delay time.

Aran

Supa Puss. I have owned one for 6 months now and have never been so pleased.

Owned - Echorec, VMSD, original Aqua Puss, Echoplex, Feakshow Digilog, Korg A1 on and on... The Supa Puss just continues to impress and has all the features I could ever wish for. It's closer to the EH than any of the others the Op listed.

I really do like the Echorec, but it has some issues with pedal-compatibility I just couldn't live with.

I spent more time with it and started to bond with it in more ways. The lack of delay time is a drag though. I don't need 900ms, like a AD-999. But 500ms would be nice.

The DMM XO is advertised at 550ms, but this unit is not 550ms. If the Carbon Copy is in fact 600ms, as advertised, then this DMM XO is no longer than perhaps 400ms. Certainly not more. And possibly less.

bratch

I think 148 bpm would be 400 ms. 100 bpm is exactly 600 ms. Did I do math right? I was told there would be no math.

Top Bottom