1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Deluxe Memoryman users ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BudLite, Jan 29, 2006.

1. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

I understand the new DMM is true-bypass,...BUT does it bypass the volume on the DMM or is that volume knob still active even when effect is disengaged....Thanks

2. exhausted

exhausted Member

it is completely bypassed now, volume and all.

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep,

Thank god for TB and the Volume knob disengagement. The old model was hell to use. Really messed the tone up!!

4. BudLite

Thanks Fella's, Im so glad to hear that..I couldn't use it if I have to send my signal through that volume pot, kills your tone(in my case anyway)..I may have to get one.....

5. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, I've got an old one. Unity gain's flat-out impossible to determine and the circuit really does change the guitar's dry tone.

But, I love the gnarly lo-fi sound of the delay and I'm wondering if they've been able to preserve that in the new & improved model. I read somewhere that they were forced to go to two chips to achieve 550ms delay time and that the single (now unavailable) chip in the older unit actually sounds better.

Any truth to that? Anyone been able to A/B these two?

6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I had an earlier reissue, which was destroyed and I replaced with a newer reissue.. I really enjoy the fact that it's true bypass now. It really was a huge PITA from time to time with the old volume system.. Many times I thought my amp was broken or something wrong with the tubes to find out that the volume control of the DMM had moved a bit.

The only thing I dislike about the new version are the knobs.. The older looked much cooler :)

As for the sound, I don't think there is a huge difference. It's the unmistakable DMM sound. If I could A/B them I don't know. I think I felt there was a feeling that something has changed though.. But not for the worse, and not for the better either. Teddy Boy had the same thing happen to him and he also replaced his older reissue with a newer one and we noticed that even the newer reissues that we both bought from the same place sounded a bit different to each other..

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'd go ahead and at least spend $150 o a used one, since Panasonic has stopped production of that last analog delay chip that the DMM uses. I like mine a lot and if there's a possibility if it being discontinued due to the chip being out of production, I'm glad I snatched one up now instead of 5 years from now when it might be super expensive or just plain impossible (lovetone)... Quirky delay. Maybe mine's got dirty pots, but sometimes it freaks out on me and randomly engages large amounts of vibrato or chorus even when it is turned to a very low setting, maybe the feedback was a hair too high... It's got a lot of character and I appreciate the stereo outs/true bypass.

8. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

The new DMM uses four MN3008 chips to get the same delay time as it used to get with two MN3005 chips. These are the good, high voltage chips not the newer 32XX series. None of the 30XX series are available any more (for years!) so grab one while you can, it's a steal. I compared a new one to one of the new boutique analog delays and the memory man's sound was much better, so much clearer and had a lot less high end loss on the repeats. memory man has a little more noise on the repeats but that is a tradeoff vs high end loss.

Have fun!

9. threm

threm Member

I agree.
    Many call the DMM lo-fi, but compared to most other analog delays it`s actually quite refined sounding.

The DMM is unique in its shimmery, ethereal sounding way.

10. drolling

drolling Member

Mike, thanks for the accurate info. It's great having real pros like yourself here on the board to clarify stuff for us pickers!

As I said earlier, I've got an older RI that I'm using in conjunction w/a Diamond delay. The Diamond sounds better in almost every way to my ears, but I just love the *character* of DMM. Would you be at liberty to say which new boutique analog delays you compared the EH with?

11. morgan

morgan Guest

Agreed. You should hear my old DOD fx90. Sometimes it sounds like someone tossed a hobbit into a well. In a good way.

12. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep,

I traded in my DMM for a Memory Lane. I really dig the ML but the DMM sure had some character. Might have to snatch one up while they are still in production and put it in safe keeping. That pedal sure scrathed easy...

13. BudLite

Has anyone compared the DMM w/ 2-MN3005 chips to the DMM w/ 4-MN3008 chips? Any differences that you can tell? Thanks

14. Sir EL84

Sir EL84 Member

Hi, I have compared the two and overall, I prefer the newer 4 chip version. It's seems much quieter, with a bit more headroom for humbuckers. The repeats are also less surrounded in garble. I think it may have arguably lost a little of its personality- but only the parts that could have used improvement before ie; noise. Just make sure to baby it as much as possible-meaning don't plug and unplug your guitar from it while it's still on.

15. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I have a DMM modded by Howard Davis. It's now got TL072's in it plus the increased headroom mod. The repeats are clearer with the new opamps.

16. BudLite

I did the howard Davis mod, at least I think it was his...basically it was wiring the unit for true bypass and changing 5 opamps from 4558 to TL-072...I think I still have the chips.....Mine was a reissue w/ the pointer knobs and I beleive 2-MN3005 chips....The opamps have 8 pin sockets (on this reissue, not an orig.) so you could easily remove them if you dont like the sound of the TL-072's...I remember it sounding a little different, but dont remember "repeats a little too much out front in about 1/128" movement on the knob" but it was a while ago....I dont think the newer reissue(4-MN3008 chips) has 8 pin sockets for swapping opamps....at least I read that in another post somewhere....I am buying a new one .... The memoryman is the best delay Ive tried....my last delay was the maxon AD-9 reissue w/ true bypass mn3005 chip....NICE,.. but the DMM sounds better to me....I have not heard the Diamond Memory Lane though....Can it sound better than a DMM? I dont know,... but 429.00 is up there.. a DMM for 200 is not too bad.....

17. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

BudLite:
    While I am frustrated a bit with my DMM, it's essentially been replaced by an EchoTap. Only a 1000x better IMO. No headroom/overloading issues, can do the most analogish delays I've heard, but can do the very clean repeats as well. Has enough delay time to do anything I can think of, built like a tank (the DMM just isn't) and you can preset 2 different delay values and quickly switch between them. It's freak'in great, for me.

If my DMM was my #1, I think I'd be ripping my hair out. The EchoTap has greatly reduced my need to deal with DMM issues.

18. Unadan

Unadan Member

Anyone ordered a new XO DMM yet?

19. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Has anybody compared the dmm to a dbd? How different?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  20. skycam

skycam Member

i had two DMM reissues. the older one with the power cable and the pointy knobs, and a newer (2006) model with the wall wart and circular knobs.

comparing the two side-by-side, i could find NO obvious differences in tone or performance. i used them both on my board for a long time. i eventually sold one to make room for new gear.