Deluxe Player Strat - wiring ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by auburn-grad, May 10, 2005.

1. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

Does anyone know how to wire a Deluxe Player/Super strat so that the bridge and middle pups are controlled by the 2nd tone pot.

The existing bridge pup is very thin and shrill and I would like to add some controllability to it......

I have seen several wiring diagrams for standard strats that allow you to have the bridge connected to one of the tone pots, but the Player strat comes wired a little different than the standard strats.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Do you mean this one:

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdfs/DLXPSTRAT/SD0133000APg4.pdf

If you want the middle tone to control both middle and bridge, the wiring has to be modified so that the push switch activates the bridge pu not only in 5 and 4 but also in 3 (so with the push switch down positions 2 and 3 would be the same).

If you want to keep the switching as it is, then you could move the middle tone to the bridge pu, so it would be active in all positions where the bridge pu is active, but the middle pu would not have a tone control when selected on its own.

If either option sounds good, let me know and I'll draft a diagram for you.

3. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Sorry, too quick. I looked again and it can be done without changing the switching. I'll draft you a diagram later today.

4. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

Thank you.

..btw...I am not sure if it matters, but its a Super Strat not a Players strat.....it is the predecessor to the Player strat.

I appreciate your help.

5. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

I just checked and it's exactly the same wiring and switching.

Diagram coming soon...

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Here it is:

[​IMG]

I've numbered the lugs in the switch 1 to 8 so I can explain more easily what you need to do:

- Remove the jumper between lugs 1 and 5
    - There is a wire from the push switch to the volume pot. Disconnect it from the volume pot and connect it to lug 5 on the main switch
    - Move the wire coming from the 2nd tone pot from lug 6 to lug 2
    - Add a jumper between lugs 2 and 3
    - Add a jumper between lugs 1 and 8

I hope it's all clear. Let me know how it goes!

7. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

WOW....that was a quick response.....

Thank you for your help....

I will let you know how it works.....

Thanks again.

8. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

...I wired it last night and everything works great.

Thank you again for your help.

9. stucker

stucker Member

Another option to tame an overly bright Strat bridge pickup is to turn one of the tone controls into a blend control. You will be able to blend the neck pickup with the bridge pickup to reduce some of the harshness. With a full blend you get a Tele sound. A schematic should be available on the Lindy Fralin website.

10. dexfx69

dexfx69 Member

I know this post is 7 years old, but I've found an issue with the wiring diagram, Clorenzo. You diagram is appreciated though. When I completed your wiring diagram, I found that when I have the pickup selector switch on neck, and add the bridge pickup via the button, the second tone pot no longer controls the bridge tone - instead, the neck tone pot controls both the neck and bridge tone.
    Also, in neck/mid position (with button not used), tone pot 1 and 2 both control neck plus mid tone. If I add the bridge pup (so now all pickups are active), I noticed tone 1 and 2 both control the bridge tone.

Any idea how to fix that? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

11. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

That's how it's supposed to work. The op wanted to tame the bridge pu when on its own by having the second tone pot active in that position too. Since the second tone pot is now switched separately, it's "position-specific" rather than "pickup-specific": active in all positions except neck, regardless of whether the bridge pu is active or not. It's actually the same as in the original wiring, where in the neck position only T1 is active regardless of whether the bridge pu is active or not (http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/stratocaster/013-3000_02A_SISD.pdf, last page), the difference being that with my diagram T2 is also active in the bridge position.

Note also that in a standard Strat, when both tone pots are active in the neck+middle position, they both control the tone of both pickups (and in this case all of them when the bridge switch is active). The pickups are connected in parallel and so are the tone pots, so they can't "know" which pickup they are controlling, if you see what I mean. I know that some people think that you still control the tone of each pickup separately, so you can e.g. blend the neck fully open with the middle rolled off or vice-versa, but this is a misconception, probably due to the fact that in an LP, if it doesn't have 50's wiring and at least one of the vol. pots is turned down, you do have some degree of independence between the two tone pots, but this can't be done with a single volume wiring.

Now, if you want T2 to become active in the neck position when the bridge switch is engaged, you can easily do it. Have a look in the pdf above at "Detail "B" - Push SW wiring/mtg." Simply connect a wire from the vol. pot input lug to the top right lug of the toggle, and another one from the T2 left lug (the one going to the selector switch) to the middle right lug of the toggle.

12. Mauriciomendezc

Mauriciomendezc Member

Hello guys,
    I know this thread is way way very old. Lol. But I need help! This is the closest I've got so far (I mean with Clorenzo's wiring diagram).

The thing is I want to wire my 1st Tone knob to both neck and middle, and my 2nd Tone knob to just my bridge.

How do I achieve this? The s1 switching from this guitar makes it hard or confusing to me. I'd really really appreciate the help!! I hope this thread can come alive one more time :) thanks!!

13. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Bumping this because I also have this strat with this wiring scheme and I'd like to actually just remove the tone control from the middle pup completely and have that tone pot wired only to the bridge - making the middle pup unloaded totally.

14. TJStrat72

TJStrat72 Member

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/adding-a-bridge-pickup-switch-to-a-strat

OK guys so here is how to do it the right way. Clorenzo's diagram is wrong. I know this post is 12 years old but many people will be searching this in the future so let's get it right. To the original poster auburn-grad simply follow the diagram as shown in the photo in the link above but add a jumper wire between the two middle lugs on the right side of the 5 way switch (lugs 2 & 3 using Clorenzo's numbering) which would connect both middle and bridge pickups to the bottom tone pot. With this wiring the tone controls will work the way they are supposed to not the way they did in Clorenzo's wiring. Drumnbum to do what you want simply follow the diagram in the link above exactly but move the wire connected to lug 3 up one spot to lug 2 (using Clorenzo's numbering). This will unload the middle pickup and add the tone pot to the bridge pickup instead. Mauriciomendezc to do what you want do exactly like I instructed Drumnbum then add a jumper wire from lug 4 to lug 3. This will connect both neck and middle pickups to the top tone pot and leave the bottom tone pot to control the bridge pickup only. I wired this myself last night after trying Clorenzo's wiring which didn't work. This works perfectly. This diagram shows the wiring using a push pull pot but it works the exact same way using the push push button switch which comes on the Deluxe Players Strat. They are just two different versions of a DPDT switch. The only difference is that the switch is not connected to the pot as it is in this diagram but it works exactly the same. I hope this helps all future inquiries regarding this subject. Note: if you are not able to see the diagram on your phone browser after clicking the url above then put the web page in desktop mode then you will be able to see it. I had to do this in Chrome for Android. Cheers...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Drumnbum likes this.