• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Deluxe reverb 6L6 mod

davidk

I'm thinking of doing this to my deluxe reverb reissue because i'm looking for a little more power and headroom.

This is the mod found on:

http://fenderguru.com/amps/deluxe-reverb

"6L6 power tubes – More power and clean headroom.

If you want more power you can easily replace the 6V6′s with 6L6GC. You need to rebias the amp to prevent wearing out the tubes and/or to get a cold and harsh tone. We prefer bias at 32mA, perhaps hotter if you like more gain. The power circuitry (power trafo, filter caps, voltage divider caps) in Deluxe Reverb are capable of handling the extra current that 6L6 tubes will pull from it. Ths Deluxe AB763 has a plate voltage of 410V and if you insert 6L6GC you still won’t be so loud as Vibrolux or Super Reverb with 440V and 460V plate voltage. A Deluxe Reverb with a 6L6GC is very smooth and forgiving with lots of sag in transformers, filter caps and rectifier.

This mod will raise the effect in the power amp section. Hence, the clean headroom is significantly increased and you’ll also have the distortion chacteristics of 6L6 instead of 6V6. Please be careful that your speaker can handle the extra watts. Be careful with vintage speakers that easily blow when taking 35-40 watts in stead of 20. An original Oxford 12″ will most likely blow if you, inspired by you-know-who-from-Texas, pluck the low E string hard at the end of songs."

Anyway. just wondering if anyone has tried this mod or something similar to it and what the results were. I like to play with just a little bit of break up and then push it the rest of the way with pedals. the deluxe just breaks up at too low of a volume for me and i'm looking for just a tiny bit more power. I've considered getting a super reverb, but i really don't think i'd be able to crank it loud enough to break up considering that most of the gigs i play are smaller clubs and the amps are miced.

thoughts?

Stratobuc

I put a Weber 12F150 speaker and JJ 6V6's in my SFDR. No mods necessary. That amp has plenty of clean headroom for almost any stage, and will easily hang with a drummer.

jay42

I also don't think you'll get more power out, however, you will change the tone a bit and it might be to your liking. Their claim of 35 to 40 Watts without changing the power transformer is...well, I don't think they measured it.

Greentone

Yeah, if you need a bit more juice try JJ 6V6s and an efficient speaker. If that doesn't work, try the sell it and buy a Vibrolux Reverb mod.

I did it too, and it gives you a louder, clearer voiced amp... but it lacks the farty, ratty weirdly nasal tone of the DR that is the amp's character in the first place.

murphbass

I threw a solid state rectifier in my Silverface Deluxe Reverb and JJ 6V6s that can handle higher plate voltages. I've heard some say that the difference in headroom/output won't be the much more, but I'm very happy with the results. The amp went from not being able to stay clean in a rock band situation to being very workable. Ditto on the more efficient speaker. The move to 6L6s seems extreme- I'd consider another amp first.

Jimmy MAck

I have a '70s Princeton Reverb that was modded. Vibrolux output transformer, and 6L6 tubes, better speaker. The speaker made a huge improvement, and the change to 6L6's vs. 6v6's with the same OT altered the tone a bit, and the feel. Not much louder, but definitely tighter, a bit more headroom, and punchier. But we are talking about a PR, not a DR, so......?

Try a speaker swap first. Less expensive, and less invasive. If not the desired result, I'd look for a diff. amp

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
My experience is that most people who start modding their DRs for the reasons you state really want a different amp. I've heard it said that the best mod to a DR is to sell it and buy a Vibrolux Reverb.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Reflective impedance changes when going from 6V6's to 6L6's in an amp designed for the former. Just go to JJ 6V6's and install a EVM, JBL or high wattage Eminence, like a RW&B.

throbert

I agree with all of the above. Try the JJ 6V6s along with a better speaker. The DR is more about sweetness.

davidk

awesome. thanks for all the advice. i'll definitely try jj 6v6's first and a more efficient speaker. hopefully that does the trick.

Blue Strat

The output transformer is still a 22 watt unit, so using 6L6's is moot.
Equally important is the fact that the power supply is the limiting factor. You can put 1000 watt tubes in a 22 watt amp and still get 22 watts out. It will sound a little bit different, though, due to the character to whichever tube is chosen.

candid_x

Equally important is the fact that the power supply is the limiting factor. You can put 1000 watt tubes in a 22 watt amp and still get 22 watts out. It will sound a little bit different, though, due to the character to whichever tube is chosen.
Thanks for this slice of reality.

tmac

Goldmember
Gold Supporting Member
The jj 6V6 is really a little 6L6, couple more Watts than a regular 6v but a few less than some 6L's. Great little tube imho. Using the jjs with an efficient speaker is about the best you can do to wrangle more sound out of a DR. Hook up an ext cab if u need more.

Trending Topics