deluxe reverb clone normal channel not working

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by cantwrite, May 21, 2008.

1. cantwrite

cantwrite Member

I have a clone with a Hoffman AB763 circuit board. I was playing through the vibrato today and it sounds perfect. I switched to the normal channel to find no sound. If I turn the volume to 10 I can hear the normal hiss just no response from the input. I did plug in the footswitch before I switched to the normal channel. Amp is in great condition with new tubes, this channel worked a few days ago.

Can anybody help please? Thanks

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

Was the normal channel previously working? Have you tried anything at all to diagnose? e.g., have you tried swapping the pre-amp tube for the normal channel? I know the tubes are new, but that doesn't make them immune to failure.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What footswitch are you talking about?

Remove EVERYTHING except guitar, cable, amp.

4. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

5. cantwrite

cantwrite Member

I was talking about the reverb/vibrato footswitch. It was working perfectly, didn't touch it for a few days and now no response. I havent tried anything to diagnose as I am not very tech saavy with amps. The only reason I bring up the footswitch is because that's the only thing added to the amp since that channel last worked. Thanks for the tip on swapping the preamp tube. Ok sure its easy enough. Luckily I have the diagrams that came with it.

6. mbratch

mbratch Member

Cantwrite, there should be no way the footswitch will cause no output on the normal channel. So you can rule that out. Let us know how the tube swap pans out.

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I agree, except that this is a clone of unknown origin...so anything goes.

8. cantwrite

cantwrite Member

I didn't that would have anything to do with it, thanks for confirming. I'll try out the tube swap and I also emailed ron hatcher at hatcher amps who built it. Never hurts to ask the builder!

Thanks again!

9. cantwrite

cantwrite Member

I just got back from my honeymoon and finally swapped the V1 tube for a new Tung-Sol reissue and it's the same. I checked all of the connections and they are all solid and intact.

Any additional help would be very appreciated!

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Did you check them with a meter? That is how you check connections.

Basically, since you admitted that you're not tech savvy, I highly recommend taking this to someone who is.