Deluxe Reverb clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SFW, Feb 5, 2006.

1. SFW

SFW Member

So when did Silverface Deluxe Reverbs break the $1,000 mark? A few years ago, you could pick them up on eBay for under $500 all day long. So what gives?

I am looking for an amp with the tonal characteristics of a Deluxe Reverb. Between 20 and 50 watts, that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. I’m looking for an amp with a great clean channel. I will use pedals to get my dirt. This will be for small blues and blues rock gigs- when the Trem-O-Verb is simply overkill. I’d like to stay at $500 or below. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

I think it was about the same time the BFDRs were consistently breaking the $1800 mark. ;) It was just a couple of years ago you could easily get them for about $1200 to $1500.

But... check out the dates. A late 60s (68 & 69) SFDR will go for a more money than the early 70s models because of changes in the circuit design transitioning through the 70s. Early 70s units are actually quite nice and are cheaper than the late 60s models.

3. NatStrat79

NatStrat79 Member

while not a deluxe reverb clone the traynor ygm-3 guitarmate is a very similar amp. about 20-25watts but with el84's instead of 6v6's. The tone is somewhat similar but leans a little to the voxy side when clean and starts to get a nice growl when cranked. Mine stays clean up to about 8 so for more than a bluesy crunch pedals are a must but it seems to take pedals really well ..im not a big pedal user though so take that with a grain of salt. The reverb isnt quite as good as the deluxe reverb but if you dont need surf reverb it works well at level of about 3-4 to open the amp up a bit and give it a nice spacious airy sound. The tremolo on the other hand is to die for its bias vary like a brownface princeton so it doesnt suck tone. If you get a chance to try one of these amps dont judge it too harshly untill you change out the original speaker as it really really holds this amp back.

4. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I'd love to hear Allen's take on the DR. Accomplice? Also, Gries has a couple BF inspired amps I'd really like to hear. Then there's Fargen, Michael Clark has something up this alley too. Better stop now before this discussion costs me money.

5. telecopter

telecopter Member

A DRRI with a Weber Calif. 12 speaker ought to do it for 'ya.

It's funny, I was talking to a buddy about about SF prices just the other day. They are starting to go nuts. I should have kept my SFDR, SFSR, SFVR etc....

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had a DRRI that I recently sold for $500. Mine was an older one that had the Eminence Speaker that most people didn't like. I didn't think it was that bad but put a Weber C12N in it anyway and it did improve the tone quite a bit over the Emi. So, if you're looking for something at $500 or less you may want to consider a used DRRI.

I sold the DRRI to fund a Gries 35. He does offer a 20 watt amp but you won't get it for $500. I opted for the 35 because after using the DRRI for 5-6 years I wanted something a little different. His model 35 makes the Fender sound, well, like a $500 amp. Don't get me wrong, I was happy with the Fender for a long time and still think it's a great value, I just feel I got more for my money from Dave.

The Gries 20 doesn't have tremolo but gives you a mid range and master volume. The 35 has the same features with more headroom. I still haven't found the need for a distortion pedal. I use the volume control on the guitar to get the clean or dirty tones I want.

The Gries 20 sells for $1399. If you can come up with the extra cash I think you'll be very pleased.

Good luck in your search.

7. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

Well, I'd like a million dollars and a pony – but I don't think either one of us should hold our breath. ;-)

If you really want a clone, the Allen Accomplice is it. But you won't find one anywhere near your budget. :-\ And I'm not aware of too many other 2x6v6 amps with reverb, tremelo, and BF/SF-type tone stack, especially not under $500 – other than the DR Reissue, of course. I think if such a creature existed, we'd all be talking about it. ;-)

Seriously, your best plan might be to just keep hunting actual SF DRs – they don't all sell for over $1000. I've seen some within the last year as low as $650, with most in the $800~$1000 range.

But sadly, I think the days of "under $500" vintage Deluxe Reverbs are long gone. :-( Best of luck, CS

8. brianf

brianf Member

DRRI for sure!!!!!

brianf

9. msp

msp Member

if your going to save that much for a silver you might as well hang in there a little longer and get a clone thats all upgraded to the hilt and is still under warranty

opposed to alot of botiqe amps they are on the low end of cost

10. Amplite

Amplite Member

See if you could play a Reverend Hellhound. A little different from a Deluxe but definately in the Fender camp. I actually liked the Hellhound more than my Deluxe. They can be found for around $500.

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Fender Hot rod Deluxe.

Not exactly a deluxe (it has 6l6's) but the clean tones are as good as anything you'll find in the $500 range.

12. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

TRUE!

If you can find one, blues pearl made several amps like the deluxe reverb. Including the vibrasonic, a deluxe with 6l6's.

I've heard people on this board use GT solo 45's with excelent results too.