Deluxe Reverb Decisions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by archtop, Oct 7, 2008.

1. archtop

archtop Member

A friend of mine and I have been building a bunch of amps including the Deluxe Reverb in this picture.

It's a great sounding amp... so good that I want him to build one for me too. This one has a Celestion Gold in it which I think sounds really good. I really like the fat/juicy clean sound, and how responsive it is when you use your fingers instead of a pick. I don't really love the sound of it when you push it too hard though.

I think the transformers he used in this one were fairly cheap standard stuff, and I thought for mine I might try some Mercury Magnetics transformers. They do a standard output tranny and one called a FAT-STACK... has anyone had any experience with these and how they effect the sound compared to the standard one?

Also any other reflections on parts I should look into would be appreciated?

Cheers

[​IMG]

2. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I got a 68SFDR loaded with a Tonkerlite last week. It has been serviced and is in fine working order. I tried a Emi RWB in last night. Sounded good, but the Tonkerlite just seemed to sound better to my ear. Fatter and juicier apply

3. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

Any chance you'd build another one for order?

4. Dollar

Dollar Member

From the mercury website:

FatStack transformers are custom-designed Mercury Magnetics transformers that have extra iron. In an output transformer it extends the bass frequencies response. In the case of a power transformer, it can minimize tone drift giving your amp more stability and headroom. Our SuperStack is similar but built higher to accommodate smaller mounting footprints.

5. archtop

archtop Member

Sure... that would be possible. We are in Australia though, so shipping may be prohibitive.

6. archtop

archtop Member

Thanks... not sure why I didn't find that... I'm glad you did

7. archtop

archtop Member

Cool. Are you going for clean tones or driven tones primarily?