Deluxe Reverb for jazz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DJLantz444, Jun 15, 2006.

1. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I'm looking to get a Fender amp of some sort, as they are the style I like and are very well priced. I have no doubt that a Deluxe Reverb will sound great with my strat for blues and classic rock (and it will go with my pedals nicely). However, I am worried about for jazz. I know the tone will be great, and I have seen jazz cats play through Fender Deluxes before (not reverb). However, I'm worried about headroom with these amps. I don't mind a tiny bit of breakup to spice up the sound, but too much can be overwhelming in jazz, especially in ballad type stuff. I was thinking about buying a Vibrolux, but I think that might be a bit much, I like to keep my amps small because the places I play are very small. Jazz gigs usually don't require much volume, but I'm not sure if that will be enough.

I currently run a Peavey Classic 30 and it breaks up a bit too early. This amp is 10 watts more than the Deluxe Reverb. I would imagine that the Fender has more headroom than most 20 watt amps, but how would it compare to the 30 watt Peavey? I only need a bit more headroom than the Classic 30.

Anyway, excuse my rant. I have no doubts about the sound, but I'm more worried about other things, such as size, headroom, price when choosing which fender.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The only way to know is to plug into one. I've had several inquiries from jazz guys with DRs on how to get more headroom .....

That said, most of the guys jazz guitar players idolize, lived in a time when the largest amp available was 20 watts.

3. move

move Member

+1 to what Blue Strat said.

i've played jazz gigs with one and never had a headroom problem.

Wes Montgomery may or may not have liked them, but i think he sounded pretty good through them.

4. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

If you think Peavey Classic 30 breaks up a bit too early, Deluxe Reverb also goes that way ...
    If you are playing with pickups with a lot of output, at volume 3-4 it starts to break up.

Anyway, plug into one and see it for yourself ;)

5. erksin

erksin Member

Check out early '60s Gibson and Ampeg amps (in the DR vein, the Gibson GA-19RVT Falcon or Ampeg Reverberocket compare) - the Falcon is especially nice for fat, jazzy cleans.

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I'll also echo Blue Strat. I have a DR that I sometimes use for jazz, and headroom is only a consideration when it's cranked a bit. At moderate volumes, no prob. As also intimated, certain tube swaps can also provide a bit more clean. Great, versatile amp. AC

7. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Well, I guess I'll have to go try one out. They can be had at pretty nice prices.

8. tjs

tjs Senior Member

A lot of the classic jazz cats used more gain than people think. Most guys try to emulate that sound by using a completely clean amp and rolling their tone controls down, and end up with a tone that is dark and muddy. I find it usually works better to push the amp a bit harder and roll the guitar's volume down instead. The Deluxe would be great for this application.

Give the Deluxe a try. Worst comes to worst, you can always mike it.

9. Colt

Colt Member

Deluxe reverbs are good for everything. oh, and hell yeah they used more gain. Christian was ALWAYS told to turn down that damn gibson amp he played...it was always full up! haha, you KNOW that ****er was breaking up!!

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    True, but if your pickups are too hot, turn the volume on your guitar down:)

11. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Go with a silverface DR or vibrolux and I think you'll be happier. If the breakup is still to early you can get a stiffer speaker and that should help a bit.

A cap job on your volume control should help you roll off without losing the high end.

Deluxes are great for everything, the blackfaces included, but the silverface (post CBS buyout) tend to be a bit cleaner than the BF's, not to mention they are cheaper.

12. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

I've played a lot of small ensemble straight-ahead gigs w/ a DR. If ur playing w/ a drummer that has dynamic contol, they're usually perfect for that type of gig.

13. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

but even so, a Twin is too big for what I play, and I want something that will sound great with my strat too. Basically I have to compromise, and find a nice median when it comes to headroom. Which is why I'm looking at the Deluxe. I don't care about my strat being clean, but I am concerned about my archtop. However, I have very low output pickups on it.

A little bit of breakup shouldn't be a problem anyway. In fact, a friend of mine uses a Fender style amp with master volume (Diaz) and he actually adds some hair on purpose.

Now to search the guitar shops.. there's not much around here.

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

The DR is one of the most versatile amps I've used. It'd work just fine for jazz, especially with the right speaker. The 12F150 50 watt Weber in my BFDR made a very noticeable difference in volume and headroom. You could play very clean at moderate volumes, reasonably clean at getting-pretty-loud volumes. Plus, it's got a smooth, warm sound (when you back off the amp treble), perfect for jazz tones.

15. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Sweet!

16. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

Normal Channel, Input 2

17. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Would that be the low gain input?

I don't quite understand low gain inputs - if they are taking in lower input levels, when you turn up the output level to match that, wouldn't it break up at the same actual volume anyway? like..

Let's say breakup was..

Low input - 6 (on the dial)
    High input - 4

Wouldn't that be the same volume in the end anyway? Or does it break up at higher volumes because it isn't being pushed as hard?

18. OOG

OOG Member

let's see...
    Bill Frisell's in the jazz section at Tower
    Bill Frisell uses Deluxe Reverbs
    so
    yep
    it's a jazz amp

19. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

well i just scored a bassman 100 from 76. OMG! tasty cleans. so tasty
    with 100 watts you know headroom is not a problem. killer jazz tones..
    hell the bass player can plug in too! heavy as sin tho.

20. mprvise

mprvise Member

+1 on Frisell, though not really a "traditional" jazz artist.

Saw a guy in Austin Thrusday night using a DR and throwing out all kinds of Grant Green/Wes stuff. Sounded fantanstic.

I use my Bruno CT22 on more "jazzy" small gigs and never have a problem with headroom. Of course I like just a bit of breakup with the guitar volume all the way up.