Deluxe Reverb issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tander04, May 20, 2015.

1. tander04

tander04 Member

A little over a year ago I bought a 65 reissue deluxe reverb used. The previous owner had put a frommel mod kit into it. When I got it home I noticed a buzz or rattle coming from inside the cabinet. It is especially noticeable at lower frequencies like an open 6th string. I have tried everything I can think of. I eplaced the speaker and the tubes. I took it to a local tech. He gave it back to me and said it was the only time he hadn't been able to fix a fender amp. So I sent it to Seattle to the frommel guys, thinking that since it had their mod in it they might know the issue. I just got it back today with the same buzzing. I really love the sound it gets minus the buzzing. But at this point I kind of feel like just selling it and going a different direction. But before I do that I wondered if there was anything else I could try to figure out the issue? I read somewhere that it might be the cab, is there any way to test that without having to buy a new cab? I really don't want to put any more money into this thing unless it will actually help it. Any ideas?

2. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Member

Tighten down all the screws holding the front baffle in place. That fixed the rattle in the one I had.

3. tander04

tander04 Member

I should've mentioned originally. Everything in the cab is snug. Baffle and speaker

4. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I had that problem with an old tweed. After tightening everything (including transformers and other screwed on chassis components) with no results, I tried the opposite. Remove the handle and feet. Loosen or remove everything (baffle, speaker, chassis, reverb tank) use foam or cardboard where necessary as "soft spacers". Pull the baffle and speaker completely out, use a speaker extension cord if you have one to completely isolate it. Then start installing\tightening one thing at a time and testing for the buzz. Mine turned out to be a warped speaker frame on one speaker out of the four. Very hard to isolate. It sounds like a lot of work but really doesn't take that long if you can create the buzz consistently. Good luck.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Try removing the preamp tube shields and back panels for starters. There are probably 50 other things you could be hearing, including things inside the chassis, but start with the easy stuff.

6. knurlman

knurlman Member

Doesn't have a 5U4 rectifier in it, does it? I had what sounds like the same problem until I replaced it with a 5Y3; problem gone and sounds great now.....

7. FFking

FFking Member

Mine had a nasty buzz but it was just the handle. Wasn't pushed down good.

8. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

Have you tried an ext. cab?
    That should tell you whether its the cab or chassis.

9. tander04

tander04 Member

I think it must be something on the chassis. I took it to a friends house last night and ran it through his cab and still was rattling. The receiver tube is a gz34, maybe I'll try trading it out and see what happens. Thanks for the tips.

10. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Someone on another thread mentioned that RI tube sockets are sometimes loose and can rattle at the right frequency. Not the tube but the way the socket is held in the chassis.