Deluxe Reverb: No sound>Help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riker4208, Sep 25, 2008.

1. riker4208

riker4208 Member

I stored my deluxe (70's) after a gig, and haven't switched until todays practice. Was working fine when I left the gig, now no sound....no hum...nothing. Probably start swapping tubes, right? The light powers on so I'm assuming that means my tranny's are fine, right?

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

First, check and make sure the speaker didn't inadvertently get unplugged! Next, replace cable and check guitar. Next power tubes, then preamp tubes (actually, if any of the tubes aren't lighting up, you could jump right ahead). IF that's all OK, then it's time for a tech...

3. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

check the fuse before you go much further. Although I assume that you see a jewel light illuminated (you didn't mention it, but I had to ask)

Next step is eliminate any cause other than the amp...

Guitar (try a different one)
    Guitar to amp signal path (cable, pedals, etc...)
    Make sure all your cables are plugged in properly.
    Like DrBob said, then check speaker cable connections on both ends.
    Before you move to the tubes, however, try plugging into a different channel (normal vs vibrato). If it's an early preamp tube, it will only affect one of the channels, so that will narrow down your search through the tubes.)
    This is where I would start looking at tubes...

If both channels are affected, I would concentrate on the power section (power tubes, rectifier tube) or the Phase Inverter.

My guess (if it's both channels) is a cable or the rectifier tube.

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

The first thing to check is your rectifier tube.

5. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

If the tubes are lit try moving or removing and reinstalling the preamp tubes, could be a dirty socket connection.

6. riker4208

riker4208 Member

Thanks guys....of course I eliminated the cord/guitar/speaker etc. The jewel light does glow, so first I guess I'll try the rectifier. Oh, it does effect both channels. At least it didn't happen at the gig.

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    It's not uncommon for the rectifier tube to fall out. This, and many other things, would cause the symtoms you're experiencing.

8. riker4208

riker4208 Member

BLUESTRAT gets the prize!!! I didn't even notice my rectifier tube lounging by my reverb tank! It fell out after the gig.