Deluxe Reverb Options

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jim lavender, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Does anyone make a Black Face Deluxe type amp with more clean headroom? I love my DRRI but sometimes it breaks up a little to early for my needs. I'd like a small tube combo for around the $1000.
    Thanks

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Just get the 1x15 Vibroverb reissue.

3. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

I thought the Vibroverb reissue was around 2K but I'll look into it.
    Thanks

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

used alessandro rottweiler. . . . usu under 900.

great cleans.

you may want to check out a heritage victory used as well. . . seems to have a bit more headroom than a DR. . .

6. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Plus 1 on the Rottweiler, however...

Try a set of JJs in the DRRI. JJ Power Tubes, a good NOS 5AR4 rectifier, 5751 in V1 and V2, and a good efficient speaker (I use a Jensen NEO and I am never lacking for a decent amount of headroom). It's not a Twin or Super, but it's more than enough for me to gig unmic'd in most places.

7. orogeny

good post. probably cheaper than a new amp:AOK

have i seen you in a rottweiler thread or two? just an fyi. . . IF you still have one. . . i brought mine to jimmy somma (sommatone amps) to have the verb 'fendered' yesterday. . ..

i'll report back when i get it. . . .

8. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Thanks for the help. I had an Emince Cannabis Rex installed and the bright cap has been clipped. I know this is a rookie question but do I have to have the amp rebiased for the tube change?
    Thanks Again
    Jim

9. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

10. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

Look no further than the Tone King Comet - often you can find one around $1000. I had a Comet for 6 years or so, definitely an upgrade to a DRRI.

11. orogeny

that would be a yes on your intelligent question. . .

12. gemmill

gemmill Member

i'd try...
    fender vibrolux
    fender pro reverb
    fender twin reverb

or stick a high powered, efficient speaker in there (like a jbl or eminence makes for fender oem jbl replacement) to get a little breathing room.

13. hism-scism

hism-scism Member

The Carr Slant 6 might be good for this - not exactly the same tone, but in the same ballpark. I had (and enjoyed) the Carr, but ultimately ended up with two SF Deluxe Reverbs. You won't get the bigger low end of a larger amp due to the smaller transfromers of the Deluxes, but you might be suprised at the apparent volume and power increase. I sometimes run 6L6s in mine and G12hs. Both of these minor tweeks take away a bit the the classic Fender Deluxe character , with the G12hs lending a nice warm botton these amps can sometimes lack.

14. RedRock

RedRock Member

6l6 tubes and rebias.

15. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

You HAVE seen me ina Rotty thread or two, although I no longer have mine (and I DO regret it... great amp).

It's funny you sent your amp to Jimmy. I am now gigging with a Sommatone Roaring 40 for most mid-sized venues. Jimmy is the absolute best in the business and your amp is in fine, capable hands. He has taken very good care of me, and I bought my R-40 used, so he doesn't have to.

Let me know how his 'Fenderization' of your 'verb turns out.

16. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Save an extra hundred bux, and buy the 65TRRI. That will get you where you want to go.

17. orogeny

actually, the jimmy thang ain't so unusual. . . . i posted a thread asking for help and someone brought him up. it turns out he's like 30-40 minutes from me!!!!

never played one of his amps before that day. i got to spend some time with the roaring 20 (and the slick 18). the roaring 20 is a flat-out deluxe reverb killer. no real comparison. better drive, better verb, equally stellar cleans with a much better bottom end. . . . cost about twice as much though. . . .

meanwhile, the roaring 40 is darn near the same amp with larger transformers and a quad of el84s instead of a pair. AND it has a half power switch!!!! holy jeebus. . . no wonder it is his best seller. very cool reverb design running in parallel with the signal. . . mix and dwell options. . . . . not really THAT heavy either. . . .

the rott has fat 5881s in it that really float my boat in the cleans department. imagine your old amp with a fender verb. . . . well. . . i'll let you know when i get it back. sheet. i'll do a zoomh4 quick rip with it and post it. . . the rott still takes STAIRS like a mofo though.

18. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Thanks, I figured I'd need a rebias but just wanted to make sure. Also, thanks for all the suggestions. Some of them are out of my price range so I might try to make do with the Deluxe. I like the Twin Reissue but the older I get the less I like the weight. If I could find a Deluxe sized amp with 1/3 more clean headroom I think I'd be happy. I'll check out some used prices. Thanks Again

19. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

jim l, Allen Accomplice is one answer

orogeny, Jimmy is a great tech, player and guy. Geno's R40 used to be mine and I had it at Jim's shop a couple of times for updates. You are in good hands.

20. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    The Valvetech Superlux may do it for you. Single channel BF type circuit, with a master volume and mid control plus a 3 way voicing switch for BFDR bright, BFSR/BFDR/BFTR normal and BFSR/BFTR bright setting. Great twangy little amp that puts out out 25 watts with 6V6s or about 40 with 6L6s. Right at the price you are looking at.
    A am the owner of Valvetech by the way,just so you know.
    Rob