Deluxe Reverb or Princeton?

jblake

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve owned both for many, many years and I prefer the PR. The DR can be a little frustrating to use at home if volume is an issue. Once you get out of the house and put it on a stage with a mic, it’s really a coin flip for preference.

thosk

Gold Supporting Member
Anyone using the DRRI for playing at home? Thx again.
I have both. A '73 PR and a '75 DR that I use mainly at home. I prefer the cleans and over-driven tones of the DR.
I installed an inefficient Weber DT12 in the DR to reduce the volume somewhat. It also warms up the tone a bit. Both amps can sound good a low volumes and both can get too loud for home use. I vastly prefer the break-up of the DR. The PR gets pretty nasty when over-driven.

harvey j

Hi Zenas ,

What kind of things can be done to get more of a "Princeton thing" out of a Deluxe Reverb?

I'm guessing that removal of the bright cap and that 10pf reverb mix cap might help...And maybe swap the choke for a 1k resistor?
The princeton reverb also has a split load phase inverter stage

paddywhack

Gold Supporting Member
I used to think that a smaller amp was the ticket for home playing but have come to find a larger amp suits me better....this after owning a bunch of low watt amps....I love Princetons and actually prefer them for gigging over a DR....and I have a sweet vintage 65 DR...

...so why do i prefer a larger amp at home ?...because i get bigger fuller clean tones at lower volume...and my pedals sound better through a bigger amp at lower volumes... basically because small amps sound even smaller when you can’t turn em up... sure the actual amp in question matters but if Its between a PR and a DR gimme the deluxe

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
At low volume, the DRRI might sound bright and thin, and you might get better toob-toan with the Princeton at home.

ymmv

Declassified

as someone who has had both and different times, I found I liked the Deluxe Reverb more, but it needed to be played in the sweet spot of about 3 or4 on the volume and it was loud. The bright channel was too bright though and it was the only way to get the Trem going.

the Princeton was good but the 10 inch speaker was flabby and the bass wasn't there.

Alan Dunn

I use a 28w Carr Rambler at home and it's great - A DRRI used the same way as in clean tone or pedals into a clean amp would be fine as well.

If you want to crank the volume so as you get overdriven / natural tube breakup then a DRRi or even a PRRI are going to be a little uncomfortable if you are not used to it. In a very small room the volume difference between a cranked PRRI or a cranked DRRI is going to be very difficult to differentiate between - they both will sound too loud for many people.

But you can get a very nice tone at 10 O'clock from the DRRI and while loud it's still pleasant enough.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
There are 3 major differences between the DR and the PR:
1. Output volume-not only that the DR is listed at 22w vs 15 for the PR, but also, having a little bigger transformers and the 12" speaker means that it has a bit more bass.
2. Phase inverter is cathodyne for the PR and long-tailed for the DR. There are a LOT of discussions out there about what that actually means for tone and output, but to my ears the PR breaks up earlier and in a more musical way. It could be tubes or speaker or whatever but I prefer my PR at bedroom volumes because of that.
3. The tremolo on the PR is bias (it changes the output of the power tubes and tends to be pretty smooth) vs the DR optical tremolo which changes voltage on the input of the PI and can be quite choppy.

As to your specific situation, as others have said the DRRI is a good deal, as good as the second best one I've seen in years. I wouldn't buy the PRRI at retail, but might consider a late SF PRRI which shouldn't be a lot more than your $1k mark and will hold its value much better.

BSOD

Hi,
I have a '69 Vibro Champ. Perfect for at home Blues. It can get 'down and dirty'! It sounds great with my LP, 335 and Strat. I am after something that will give me a cleaner tonal option. Considering a used DRRI for $625 vs a new Princeton for $1000. I realize both are much louder than my Vibro Champ, but I am after cleans so I can keep the volume lower. Many will say the PRRI will better serve my at home playing, but the price difference is a real consideration. Thoughts? Thanks.
Princeton packs more mids. DR is more scooped, and takes pedals miles better

zacmac

I’ve had great and average examples of both.

Try both with your pedalboard and guitar and pick which one is best for you.

I love Deluxes more personally but they are just too loud for a home amp IMO.

I have a 75’ Princeton Reverb with an eminence GA10-SC64 and it is perfect for my music room. It holds up fine with a band but a deluxe reverb has a lot more girth.

MoPho

Pho Shizzle
Silver Supporting Member
The DR seems to achieve your objectives at a lower price point. A no brainer IMO.

zenas

Hi Zenas ,

What kind of things can be done to get more of a "Princeton thing" out of a Deluxe Reverb?

I'm guessing that removal of the bright cap and that 10pf reverb mix cap might help...And maybe swap the choke for a 1k resistor?
Honestly never thought about it that much. Did the bright cap on the BFDR and tried different speakers, finally settled on a Maverick. I don't hate the amp enough to mod it and at times absolutely love it. Oddly enough since I've had it I liked it better with the new Tung-Sol 6v6s I ran for about a year before going with "better" NOS tubes.
The 64 Princeton Reverb I almost always like to play. Today after 10 minutes I shut it down and plugged into a 76 Twin Reverb, my favorite and least valuable amp.
Maybe I just have poor taste in amps. :)

Philo

I have both a DR and a PR that I play mainly at home. I use a copper cap to lower plate voltage on the DR and a THD power soak to cut the volume a little so I can run it at its sweet spot of 3-4 on the volume dial. Also cut the bright cap.

I run the PR with the stokes mod and a 12 inch speaker. Have gigged with it that way, though not with a loud drummer.

Oriondk

Have you tried a Hot Rod Deluxe IV? I’m considering one for mostly home playing mostly because of the master volume. You can turn the volume up to get some grit but keep the master volume low. I gave one a try today and was pretty impressed. I do want to spend more time with it before I decide for sure, though. I’ve been looking for a bedroom amp but also one with enough power to play out with. At 40 watts it has more than enough clean headroom, too.

blaster

I have both amps a 65 PRRI and a BF Deluxe Reverb. For home use the Princeton is one of the best amps I have used. My Deluxe is great and great for live work, but it's louder than my Princeton at home. The Princeton enables me to get to a sweet spot and not being too loud for home use.

Pick'n'strum

I almost solely play a DRRI at home. This is at home volume, with pedals, on the bright channel, with the bright cap in - and I love it. I really like what paddywhack mentioned as far as bigger cleaner amps for home use.

I do think that "steely" is a good way to describe it - I guess that's what I'm after but I'd be more likely to describe it as "sparkle;" if that's fair.

Disclaimer: I've only played the PRRI in store. Personally, I just don't get the same fullness out of the PRRI. Could be the 10" speaker or maybe just the environment I'm playing in - amps always sound different in the store, which makes sense.

Trending Topics