Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by holden_caufield9, Oct 19, 2016.

1. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Supporting Member

I've always been a single channel Marshall type guy. Get it moderately broken up and use the volume knob for a clean channel (because screw cleans!). Well, I'm starting to get into the big 3D Fender cleans that I'm not equipped to handle that with my current gear.

I love the DR because it's light and portable but I'm concerned that it won't have enough headroom to stay clean in a band situation. The SR looks/sounds fantastic but it's also crazy heavy.

Of course there's the VibroVerb and Vibrolux, but those are hard to find and pricey.

Fender guy/gals, what is my best option based on your experience?

André Brito Bents likes this.
  2. woof*

woof* Member

Your right, 22 watts is not enough for clean headroom...especially is its fender blackface cleans your after.
    40 watts is perfect, another smaller alternative is a Pro Reverb...same amp minus mid control, smaller with 2x12.
    I use Supers in ATA cases with casters....roll into club- pop top off - not crazy hard to transport.

3. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

IF I were deciding between a DR and the SR for cleans, I go for the SR. I carry the weight for the sound....almost 66 with no discs in my lower back. I know how to pick things up properly. I would much rather carry a SR than a 4 x 12 Marshall cab. (;^) OR...go big...get a Dual showman REverb head and a cab. Cleans all day and night long.
    IF you are micing up, get the DR. OR...my fave BF/SF Fender reverb amp...a Vibrolux Reverb sits between the DR and the SR.
    IF you want to try a different kind of Fender that is based on the 5F6A thing with more versatility and great reverb, the Fender Pro Sonic combo is a bargain in the marketplace, imho.

4. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

deluxe reverb....pure clean will only get you to just above bedroom volume. Its great if this will be used for at home use. This amp does get fairly loud but not until you reach the dirt territory.

A good example of this amps limitations are to listen to the deluxe reverb years of Phish and compare to the Boogie Mark IV years. The deluxe reverb tone is more wooly and dirty compared to the Mesa. I'm guessing this has to do in part with the difference in headroom.

But I will add, when I play with other people and drummers...I've noticed what sounds dirty solo really cleans up when placed into the mix.

5. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

SR over DR if clean headroom matters at all now or you think it ever will, but you nailed it with the Vibrolux Reverb, the perfect compromise of headroom and portability for awesome fender cleans. If you are not stuck on Fender, check out Alessandro Working Dog Rottweiler, Gries 35, Allen Old Flame among many others that can be even lighter than the VR and sound great.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  6. FrankCapraMoment

FrankCapraMoment Member

I say this as a Deluxe owner, I think the Super sounds much better and obviously stays cleaner at high volumes (there's a studio where I play a Silverface SR sometimes). I only bought the Deluxe so I could easily carry it, but even then it's about as heavy as my old Custom 68 Vibrolux, which was louder and somehow sounded better!

I've been having some problems with my Deluxe, detailed in another thread. I might just need to let the speaker break in or bias the tubes.

7. keithb7

keithb7 Member

You are over looking a nice Vibrolux Reverb. More oomph than a DR. Sounds better too in my opinion. I owned all three at once actually. A 66 DR, a 71 SR and a 71 VR. Only one I still own? The Vibrolux. Great amp and portable too.

ChampReverb, blackba and lavinci like this.
  8. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I guess it depends on the band, the DR and the speaker. My '79 DR stays very clean up to 6 or 7. I can never turn it above 3 and that's with a 5 piece drum and loud-ish (IMO) drummer.

ToneIsKing55 likes this.
  9. woof*

woof* Member

The last ten years or so all these small combo amps 20 watts or less have become so popular, yet the complaints are always about clean headroom. Its physics...you cant get headroom when you don't have the power.
    In the 70's and 80's most guys used 100 watt heads. I dropped down to 40 watts but thats the least I can use in a band and still get cleans over a drummer.

rusty likes this.
  10. BMX

BMX Member

It's not the weight of the Super Reverb that bothers me-it's the weird size. It's hard to get into a lot of cars so think about how you're going to transport it to gigs before buying. Pro Reverb is probably what you want.

11. lavinci

lavinci Supporting Member

generally speaking of course
    YMWV

1) DR is for home, studio and small clubs
    2) SR is for a larger clubs, stage performance or outdoor...
    both are great amps BTW

If you want to split hairs - then get a BFVR
    its half deluxe half super
    35w of goodness
    that's what I did and I've never regretted this buy once.

12. keithb7

keithb7 Member

SF are a great option. I can't complain:

[​IMG]

ChampReverb, Kostas, blackba and 10 others like this.
  13. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different!

Just need a Quad Reverb and Super Six to fill out the top half!

TravisE likes this.
  14. keithb7

keithb7 Member

Just for the sake of screwing around, and saying yes I own all the big iron, I guess I could find a couple more. I think I'll pass though.
    Anything bigger than a Twin, I think is only asking for trouble. Back trouble actually. LOL. I love my 73 Twin. Best sounding amp I
    have ever heard for cleans. I like a little verb and virbrato. Other great Fender clean amps that I own are missing one or the other.
    The 73 Twin got it all!

Ilduce likes this.
  15. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

I'm going to guess that if you're used to running a NMV Marshall at high enough volumes to overdrive, then a Deluxe probably won't cut through the mix without being pushed into overdrive. I'm currently playing a 75 Super with a Hotplate on -4db, and it's the perfect mix of fullness and dirt without breaking eardrums.

I traded a 75 Twin Reverb for it, and would suggest a Twin if you want absolute clean (to me Twins sound big and clean at almost any volume). I did a direct comparison to my Super before making the trade and the Twin was WAAYYY louder, cleaner and tighter, but I wanted a little "give" and compression so the Super was it for me.

If weight isn't a huge issue, you can get a great deal on a Super, and you'd have an amp that you know you already like the sound of. That would be my pick, but really it depends on how pristine you want your cleans.

16. rufedges

rufedges Member

Not sure what your budget is, but if you're looking for a legit HW Fender amp with the improvements you never knew you couldn't live without, this might be what you are looking for.....basically a deluxe reverb with 6l6's and larger transformers, literally a Vibroverb in a smaller package. Check out the other models too.

I own a 22SC, but had to get a custom cab built to fit an EVM sized monster speaker.....so now it's not as portable and pretty heavy. Wish the 6L6 option would have been around when I bought mine, but I can send it to him for about 350 not including shipping and make the upgrade. The larger headroom would be nice.

http://vintagesoundamps.com/shop/vintage-35-vibrolux-style-1x12-copy/

17. Joshlespaul1952

Joshlespaul1952 Supporting Member

If you're not stuck on a combo, I'd go with a BF Bandmaster. Sits comfortably in the middle of the DR and SR, and they sound fantastic. Not too expensive, either.
    Of the two you've mentioned, however, I would go with the Super. (Keep protecting kids from that cliff, Holden.)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    blackba and KennyM like this.
  18. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

I guess Holden is digesting suggestions?? It would be very illuminating to k now what Marshall he plays at what settings. That would give us a better understanding of 'cleans at what level'.

19. holden_caufield9

holden_caufield9 Supporting Member

Sorry, I'm at work and had a fire to put out.

I currently use a Fargen Mighty Plex MKII head with a 2x12 Mesa cab with V30's and a Marshall Studio 15 I use for smaller gigs. I've been using a Line6 Helix into the board or in 4 cable method with a JVM215c quite a bit too because I've been filling in for a friend in his modern rock band (shoot me now).

It sounds like the Super is the way to go. I'm going to keep my eyes out for a Vibrolux or Vibroverb, but they are hard to come by and I can get a 66 Super for about $1300 on Reverb and the Vibrolux's are in the 2-4k range depending on age.

20. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

I like the BF amps, too...for build quality in the cab maybe moreso than the circuit; but the SF amps are bargains. The UL amps are much frowned upon, but the UL is NOT a drawback especially if one is looking for clean. A well set-up SR of any era can be a great amp, ime.
    there are some boutique amps that use UL and no one takes exception to that. The UL can be disabled if wanted.