• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Deluxe Reverb Rattle

kldonegan

So here's the scoop. I put a new speaker in my '66 Deluxe Reverb. Upon tightening everything up, I've got a rattle that is audible THROUGH THE SPEAKER when I crank it and play the lower strings. It sounds different than the amp drive, and stops about a third of the way into the sustain of the chord/note I'm playing. Here's what I've tried so far:

-Amp into different speaker cabinet with known good speakers. Still get the rattle through the speakers in this cabinet.

-Taking off pre-amp tube covers. Rattle still there.

-Holding power tubes/rectifier tubes. Still there.

It didn't start until after the speaker change. Any suggestions as to where to try next? I can't just live with it, as I track with the amp on a regular basis. Thanks!

67super

Since it seems to be speaker independent I would start the process of elimination.

1. Try each channel and see if it's common to both.

2. Start trying different tubes in each position one at a time or remove channel one preamp tube when in channel 2 etc. This will isolate and eliminate whether it's a tube.

If thit's still there it could be a number of things. I had a similar problem in my 68 DR that turned out to be a weak solder joint.

kldonegan

Rooster, It's not the speaker. First thing I did was try the amp into another cabinet... From my original post:

-Amp into different speaker cabinet with known good speakers. Still get the rattle through the speakers in this cabinet.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Try a different rectifier tube. Sometimes you can get filiment rattle, which seems to comes through the speaker. If that's not it try replacing one pre amp tube at a time. A pre amp tube can also cause this.

mbratch

I had a rattle in a 1965 BFDR that drove me nuts. Finally took the whole thing apart and found that the RFI screen was a little loose on the cab. I applied a few staples to refasten it and the noise was gone.

And the noise did sound like it came from the speaker.

kldonegan

Rectifier/Preamp tubes didn't do it. Tried a different speaker cabinet again, with the amp isolated in a different room. Still there...

Is the RFI screen that chicken wire looking stuff on the top of the cab???

mbratch

Rectifier/Preamp tubes didn't do it. Tried a different speaker cabinet again, with the amp isolated in a different room. Still there...

Is the RFI screen that chicken wire looking stuff on the top of the cab???
Actually, more like screen door wire, but yes. :)

Trending Topics