Deluxe Reverb Rattle

kldonegan

So here's the scoop. I put a new speaker in my '66 Deluxe Reverb. Upon tightening everything up, I've got a rattle that is audible THROUGH THE SPEAKER when I crank it and play the lower strings. It sounds different than the amp drive, and stops about a third of the way into the sustain of the chord/note I'm playing. Here's what I've tried so far:

-Amp into different speaker cabinet with known good speakers. Still get the rattle through the speakers in this cabinet.

-Taking off pre-amp tube covers. Rattle still there.

-Holding power tubes/rectifier tubes. Still there.

It didn't start until after the speaker change. Any suggestions as to where to try next? I can't just live with it, as I track with the amp on a regular basis. Thanks!

67super

Since it seems to be speaker independent I would start the process of elimination.

1. Try each channel and see if it's common to both.

2. Start trying different tubes in each position one at a time or remove channel one preamp tube when in channel 2 etc. This will isolate and eliminate whether it's a tube.

If thit's still there it could be a number of things. I had a similar problem in my 68 DR that turned out to be a weak solder joint.

kldonegan

Rooster, It's not the speaker. First thing I did was try the amp into another cabinet... From my original post:

-Amp into different speaker cabinet with known good speakers. Still get the rattle through the speakers in this cabinet.

slider313

Silver Supporting Member
Try a different rectifier tube. Sometimes you can get filiment rattle, which seems to comes through the speaker. If that's not it try replacing one pre amp tube at a time. A pre amp tube can also cause this.

mbratch

I had a rattle in a 1965 BFDR that drove me nuts. Finally took the whole thing apart and found that the RFI screen was a little loose on the cab. I applied a few staples to refasten it and the noise was gone.

And the noise did sound like it came from the speaker.

kldonegan

Rectifier/Preamp tubes didn't do it. Tried a different speaker cabinet again, with the amp isolated in a different room. Still there...

Is the RFI screen that chicken wire looking stuff on the top of the cab???

mbratch

Rectifier/Preamp tubes didn't do it. Tried a different speaker cabinet again, with the amp isolated in a different room. Still there...

Is the RFI screen that chicken wire looking stuff on the top of the cab???
Actually, more like screen door wire, but yes. :)

Trending Topics