Deluxe Reverb Re-Issue Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DSmith, Aug 7, 2008.

1. DSmith

DSmith Member

If you were to purchase a Deluxe Reverb Reissue to use as a pedal platform, what would you do to the amp from stock?

Speaker Upgrade?
    Tube Upgrade?
    Circuit Modification (mainly cut out treble bleed if the reissues have that "feature")?

Thanks,
    Doug

2. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

If you run dirt pedals into this amp on the Vib chan. clip the bright cap, or just use ch. 1. Let the spkr break in before you switch. NOS tubes can "warm" up the amp after a proper bias, but I don't think they're neccessary. Some JJ tubes or Sovetek's will be fine, IMO. I've done the clip, NOS(Marconi's) and JJ-pre amp and rectifier,and a CRex. It sounds warmer than when I got it, but I'm still not satisfied with it. There is another "mod" you can do to use Rev. on both channels, and jumper them for an in phase sound.

3. mbratch

mbratch Member

I would try it stock first, in the scenarios you plan to use it in. If you plan to play live, check out the sound live first before passing judgement.

As Bikedude says, let the speaker break-in before considering a speaker change. But that being said, a speaker change is the most effective way to affect the sound of the amp, IMHO.

A lot of talk of the bright cap being clipped goes on, but frankly a lot of people don't clip it. Here's a poll I solicited on the topic (quite awhile back now). Try it first. For me, I like the bright cap with some of my guitars, and with some I don't. So I did the "reverb on both channels" mod and use my guitars that don't want the brightness on the normal channel, and those that do on the vibrato channel (the normal channel does not have a bright cap).

4. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

IMHO, the first channel sounds great with pedals. i mean, really good.

the second channel sounds super as a clean channel.

the reverb to both channels mod is all you need. this mod will make the DRRI do what you want it to.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I had one for a while with a Celestion G12-H30, and believe it or not, it rocked. Speaker change is all I'd do... When the tubes wear out maybe get Lord Valve to recommend something if you need the sound changed a bit...

6. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

All I did was swap in an Emi RWB speaker, haven't felt the need to clip the bright cap; it sounds great & takes pedals very well. The reverb on both channels sounds like a cool mod, but I don't use much reverb anyway.