Deluxe Reverb Reverb out to Normal Channel

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by daddyo, Sep 17, 2008.

1. daddyo

daddyo Guest

In GP (Sonny landreth issue) they show a mod where you take a sheilded cable and solder an RCA end on and run it from the reverb pan out to the input of the normal channel. This gives you tone control over the post reverb signal. At first glance, it seems obvious and totally reversible. Does this work? I thought that the reverb and normal channels were out of phase. Does the phase get inverted post reverb tank?

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Nobody? I'm a little suprised. I thought TGPers knew everything.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yes, it works. Phase only matters if you're listening to 2 sources that are 180 degrees out of phase and even then, it CAN work since the 2 channels in these amps aren't identical (hence, all frequencies are not 180 degrees out of phase). In addition, running the reverb like this puts channel 1 back in phase with channel 2.

Bottom line, try it. You may like it. Pseudo techno explanations on message boards mean nothing compared to how you think it sounds.

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Thanks, Blue Strat

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I used mine like that a lot when I had my DR. There's no magic to it. It just allows you to control your reverb's eq independently from your guitar signal's eq. Other than that it didn't really add any other excitement :)

There wasn't a huge difference... Another reversible trick is to just use the REVERB Channel and pull the 1st 12ax7 from the NOrmal channel.. that added a minute amount of gain to the amp and changed things just a bit too. .

Eric