deluxe reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Playloudd308, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Member

ok, i love the dr's but i want something that sounds alot bigger and thicker. I love the fundamental tone of the dr but there is always this thin-ness about it. Even though 2x12s and 4x12's i cant get it to sound that much thicker.

also, not enough volume for my gigging needs

what amp would give me this tone but a little fatter?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What Travis said, unless by "fatter" you mean more distorted.

3. VTX-XTC

VTX-XTC Member

Go try a Crate Palomino V32. You might really be surprised at what you find.

4. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

5. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

After I got a Vibroluxe reverb I sold my Deluxe Reverbs (all 1960s amps, not reissues). The Vibroluxe is better in every way to my ears. They are also a lot more portable than a Super Reverb. I once compared my blackface Vibroluxe to a silver face, nearly identical in tone. You could save some money that way.

6. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

If you can afford to keep the DR, I think a GREAT combo is a Vibrolux Reverb and a deluxe together. I have a '64 BFDR and a '66 Vibrolux reverb. TOGETHER - it's just HUGE - the combo of 6L6s and 6V6s - along w/ 1-12" and 2-10"s... ya gotta love it !!

7. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Pro Reverb! I have a BFDR and a BFPR. The Pro has basically the same tone as the DR only bigger juicier... I have the same speakers in both. A Vibrolux is also great but the 10's definitely have a different but equally kool vibe. I prefer the Pro over my old Vibrolux. Definitely sounds bigger without much more volume... but it is heavier and bigger too!

<M

8. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

Super, Pro, Twin, Vibrolux will all yield more low end.

9. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

Try 6L6s and a more efficient speaker in the DR and see if you like that. Thats what I did to mine. When I put in an EVM12L it became huge sounding, but still like a DR. Also more clean headroom and now just amp distortion, not speaker break up. Probably more like a Vibrolux with a 12" speaker.

10. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Can one just run 6l6s (correctly biased of course) in a DRRI without some other physical mod like a tranny?

gb

11. Sammy

Sammy Member

I have had a Carr Rambler for three years now which is great, but this week just got my new Valvetech 22, wow its exactly the sounds you want at an unbelivable price compared to other brands. I have tried DR Z 28 and its blows it away the DRZ was harsh sounding. The only difference I had was a Cannabis Rex installed instead of the stock Greenback for more clean headroom.

With that speaker, can't say with the greenback as haven't heard it but is probably as good in its own way, it is way more fatter and much better tone than a Deluxe Reverb and thicker tone than my Rambler, which from what you have described is exactly what you want.

12. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

Yes, its been done for years. I've run 6L6s in mine with a Mullard GZ34 for over 4-5 years.

13. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member