Deluxe Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wichita_88, May 7, 2008.

1. wichita_88

wichita_88 Member

I'm about to sell an amp, and possibly pickup another one pretyt quick. I'm not close to much - so i can't go play a bunch of stuff first. I'm pretty interested in a Deluxe Reverb though. Any thoughts or experiences on them?

How do they break up, how much headroom, etc...

2. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Do a search of the DRRI, there has to be about a thousand posts on what this amp can do.

3. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Fixed

4. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

Or just get one. They rule. Lots of great chime, big round bottom end, some really good grind at about the 4-5 spot (depending on the speaker, biasing, etc.). These amps are a mainstay for gigging and recording musicians for a very good reason: they sound awesome.

The reissues need a bit of "help" (like losing the stock speaker) and are a bit more difficult to work on due to the PCB, but they still evoke the character of the original blackface.

5. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Owning one is a right of passage around here for any guitar player. You have to own a DR/DRRI at some time in your life 8^)

Swap tubes, speakers and learn from the amp. If you have the money, a real one is something to shoot for.

6. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

+1 for not much more than a new RI you can get a tuned up Silverface. That would be a keeper but if you did decide to sell it in a few years you'll at last break even, or better, depending on how much the value of the old ones climbs.

7. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

I have a couple Silverfaces, a 70 and a 74 that I just recently scored for $650--you can still find the SFs for way less coin than the $1K they want for a new reissue. The SF circuit is almost identical to the blackfaces of the early 60s up until 1980 (though they did add that pull-boost in 1977).

8. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Whta type of music do you play?

9. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

Blackfaces are great!

10. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

I actually prefer the Silver Face sound. It's smoother. I know I'm in the minority on this one but, I have a Weber 12A150 speaker in my '77 SFDR and I get huge amounts of clean volume with it and a nice, tight low end. If I want dirt, I ad a little drive. Terrific little amp!

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have two BF Fenders in my studio-expensive?Yes,but worth every dime I spent.

12. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

Pretty tough to go wrong with a Deluxe! They are pretty darned flexible, have a very workable power rating, are extremely portable, and hold their value, if you care about that sort of thing.

Get one. No matter how much I trade or move gear around, it's the one amp that I never seem to be without.

Cheers,
    Cowboy

13. RockDC

RockDC Member

First what style of music?

Second How much headroom do you need?

Third what kind of breakup and at what volume in comparison to the head room?

14. sqadan

sqadan Member

I just picked up a Deluxe Reverb reissue a month or so ago - I love it... It's easily portable, sounds awesome clean or dirty, and love pedals. Snip the bright cap and lose the stock speaker and your in great shape.

15. teddys

teddys Member

Check out some less expensive silver face models.
    my 68 DR sits next to my 64 blackface DR, a few differences but still the shiznet!!